Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

The Villa bubble

Tony Xia has tweeted a picture of Adomah in a Villa shirt, saying "welcome Adomah". Middlesboro saying that deal isn''t done.

Like I said, the bloke is a proper toolbag.

Kick it off - thanks for the thoughtful reply. To me, judging whole groups of people "horrible" by the way they sound isn''t very different to judging them on the way they look, and we have hopefully got past doing that. Personally, I think that''s quite an important issue, Also, when you say that you "don''t really have an accent", your accent is the way you pronounce your language, and you can''t speak without pronouncing. What I suspect you mean when you say you "don''t really have an accent" is that you have a public school accent., similar to Gideon "George" Osborne, for example, before he tried to change it to sound more working class. I''m not particularly upset about it, just intrigued that someone would use "horrible accented" it as an insult. Can I ask which accents you like?

You''ve lost me on your initial sentence I''m afraid. I haven''t characterised anyone as horrible, I''ve said they have a horrible accent. I''m not aware of any correlation between having a horrible accent and being a horrible person, nor any insinuation of such linkage was made.

You''re right in so much as my accent is probably public school (although I hasten to add that I have never attended a public school in my life, and nor would I want to) although certainly nowhere near as pronounced (excuse the pun) as Osbourne. I just don''t have any discernible regional dialect in the way I speak.

In terms of accents I like, most are fine by me really. The only ones I actively dislike are Brummie/Black country, Scouse and Essex. Everything else is pretty inoffensive to my ears.

[quote user="kick it off"]You''ve lost me on your initial sentence I''m afraid. I haven''t characterised anyone as horrible, I''ve said they have a horrible accent. I''m not aware of any correlation between having a horrible accent and being a horrible person, nor any insinuation of such linkage was made.

You''re right in so much as my accent is probably public school (although I hasten to add that I have never attended a public school in my life, and nor would I want to) although certainly nowhere near as pronounced (excuse the pun) as Osbourne. I just don''t have any discernible regional dialect in the way I speak.

In terms of accents I like, most are fine by me really. The only ones I actively dislike are Brummie/Black country, Scouse and Essex. Everything else is pretty inoffensive to my ears.[/quote]

Why find any accent offensive? Why would the what people speak offend anyone

KIO doesn''t say he/she is offended by accents, only that they dislike them.....then goes on to state most accents are inoffensive. Read it again!

I''m not keen on Brummie accents either fwiw, nor Stoke or Derby accents. Yuk!

Thought a lot of people liked the rich foreign investor idea?

Kick it off - You are right, "horrible-accented person" isn''t the same as "horrible person", and to imply that insinuation was totally unfair to you. My point really was that people''s accents are part of their identity, and not a fair basis for negative criticism. You are of course, perfectly entitled to your opinion of the way people from these regions sound, providing you don''t discriminate against them on that basis (in a job interview for example). Hopefully we can sign a player with a Brummie/Scouse/Essex accent who can score 20 goals this season and maybe change your opinion (the chances of such a signing seem negligible at the moment, admittedly).

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]KIO doesn''t say he/she is offended by accents, only that they dislike them.....then goes on to state most accents are inoffensive. Read it again!

I''m not keen on Brummie accents either fwiw, nor Stoke or Derby accents. Yuk![/quote]

Sorry. I''m a bit thick. I read inoffensive as being the opposite to offensive

Goodenough: Read inoffensive as "unobjectionable".

inoffensive

adjective

not objectionable or harmful.

"a shy, inoffensive, and sensitive girl"

synonyms: harmless, innocuous, unobjectionable, unexceptionable, unoffending, non-aggressive, non-violent, non-combative; mild, peaceful, peaceable, gentle, tame, innocent; unremarkable

"the victim was an inoffensive law-abiding citizen"