Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

A long way from here...

I never realized until now how different we are from the experience of...

Thomas Helveg, Mattius Jonson, David Bentley, Damien Francis, Gary Holt and Mattius Svensson...

compared to Matteau Lois Jean, Peter ThorneĀ andĀ Jason Jarrett.

Many people said Norwich will come straight back up because they haven''t changed their team. Such a short time ago as well.

We''re finished!

atm, i think the team is missing Svennson badly, and actually Francis. Francis would probably have been useless but we are in need of a player like that, storming into the oponents box and creating chances. Eddie would have been useful too, no different to Louis Jean.

The player we''re missing most, is the man who got the most evident criticism... Matthias Svensson. He scored goals regularly, remember last season. McKenzie only started scoring in the second half of the season and had so many chances its untrue. Yet the never really fully fit Svensson scored at the start middle and end of the season. Remember when he was fully fit during the promotion year that spell of 5 goals in 6 games. No one else managed to be so prolific. But the main thing I think we miss about Sven is that he was a character. He was one of those players that showed his commitment on and off the pitch as was generally just a nice bloke. Who else in this team shows that sort of commitment other than Hucks. At this moment in time who would I have Ashton or Svensson. I''d take Svensson. I dream of the day when Ashton shows some sort of passion.

[quote]I never realized until now how different we are from the experience of... Thomas Helveg, Mattius Jonson, David Bentley, Damien Francis, Gary Holt and Mattius Svensson... compared to Matteau Lois Jea...[/quote]

A bit unfair on Thorne, we''ve not seen the bloke play yet.

Look at the midfield - we lost Mullers, Holt, Bentley, Francis and Jonson.  In return we have signed

Marney - making us realise just what talent Bentley had

Jarrett - the new Mullers - just a bit thinner, seems to have ability but a reluctance to show it

Hughes - a younger Holt - same ability, smaller engine, better leader.

All we have done is replace two of the weakest midfielders with a like for like and of the three regulars from last season who actually did a decent job for us we have only replaced Bentley with Marney.

Only now that he has gone is the penny finally dropping how important Francis'' contribution to the side was, despite his laid back appearance.   The same with Jonson,  he was unspectacular but would defend well and added the one thing our current midfield really lacks, which is pace.

While the like of Bentley and Jonson did not play every game they did give us real options that we no longer have.

Failure to build a squad with enough cover an options - is that gross misconduct?

OTBC  

have to agree with zip, which raises the question who brought
in all these quality players over the summer and how many
of them have really been a step up in quality. these new boys
are worthy players and he has to take some of the blame if the
sqaud is much weaker than it was last season.

[quote]Look at the midfield - we lost Mullers, Holt, Bentley, Francis and Jonson. In return we have signed Marney - making us realise just what talent Bentley had Jarrett - the new Mullers - just a bit th...[/quote]

These points were all raised in the summer by many posters.  We have not even replaced all the players that left, let alone the quality.  The midfield area is by far the weakest area of our squad.

If you break down our squads into positions we have the following (taken fro the squad list on the Official website:

GK - 4
DF - 10
MF - 4
AT - 7

We have a (first-team) squad of 25 players with as many keepers as midfielders.  To make that even worse all 4 of the midfield players are best employed in the central positions.  This leaves us with the problem of having no orthadox wide midfielders and results in us playing people out of their "prefered" position.

What makes this situation all the worse for me is that just about everybody could see the problem with midfield before we even kicked a ball this season, everbody that is except Worthy.  He has had money to spend and has the option of bringing in loan players, yet he has not even identified this area being a problem.  Worthy is quite content to play people out of position.  In the case of Marney, he has brought him to club only to play him out of position.

Most managers are slated when things don''t go well for ''players being played out of position''. It''s even happened to the likes of Benitez so what chance has Worthy got?

Although I am no out and out Worthy fan (far from it in fact), this argument is often overused and I''m not sure if it always stands up to scrutiny.

Example 1

If Hucks has a poor game on the left side, it is because....''he is played out of postion and is really a striker'' (according to many fans). Then when Worthy does play him down the middle the reverse gets said!

Example 2

Jonson - IMO he was one of the worst players to pull on the yellow jersey but lets try to be objective. Jonson was described as ''a wide man who has pace, can cross well and can also play doewn the middle''. Even Svensson said that ''he can give me a steady stream of crosses'' -no mention there of playing him as a striker! Problem was that Jonson failed dismally to deliver. Now I have no knowledge of what positions he regularly played for his clubs and country but if he was truly an out and out stiker who always played there would Worthy really have tried to convert him to a winger? I don''t think even Worthy is that stupid!       

Example 3

Marney - when he signed, many fans went overboard in praise as ''the final piece in the jigsaw'', and ''we''ve finally got our right sided player''. Marney has failed to deliver in terms of actually taking on fullbacks and getting to the bye line, so suddenly...''he''s played out of position''! Where is the evidence? I''m sure he can do a resonable job in the middle but many fans simply remember those goals against Everton on TV when he burst through the centre of the park. But is that his TRUE position? I don''t know.

I do agree though that with Charlie in midfield, that is the case of a player well and truly ''out of position'' and I believe Joker Jarrett should have started on Tuesday to try and build his confidence and fitness.

Worthy may be (and often is) many things but I just don''t buy this idea of always playing players out of position. That is often a convenient get out option for fans to direct blame at him rather than the player(s) concerned who often fail to deliver.  

[quote]Look at the midfield - we lost Mullers, Holt, Bentley, Francis and Jonson. In return we have signed Marney - making us realise just what talent Bentley had Jarrett - the new Mullers - just a bit th...[/quote]

I agree we are missing I would say 2 or 3 of the players we let go last season. Svensson the most, then Francis - although not the man Francis, the type of player he was (on a non-lazy day) - and Edworthy I would gladly have seen retained, he was always class at this level. Helveg we were NEVER going to be able to keep hold of, and for me he always suffered from his lack of pace. I don''t see why people bemoan us taking the opportunity to get our money back for Jonson, what did he ever really do for us? Goals - none, assists - none, always keener to run backwards rather than take any players on with that much mentioned but seldom demonstrated pace of his. He could have been a full-back. As for Graham Stuart, if we''d have stayed up then his move would have become permanent so THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE TO US GOING DOWN AFTER ALL!

A player we need this season and didn''t have last season (Jonson was another ''forward'' as was Bentley) is a right winger. An out and out winger, in the Jermaine Pennant mould. Oh what I''d give to see a player of that type finally arrive here.

I also want to see McKenzie fit again, but I''m still not getting my hopes up too much, he was hopeless before his injury.

Another classic: "Francis would probably have been useless but we are in need of a player like that"Have you thought about applying for manager?

Suuuuuupppppeeeeerrrrr Super Matt

The Wigan strike still lingers in the memory, people have a made a good point of saying we didn''t give Matt another 2 years probably due to his injuries yet we signed Thorne was was older and just as injury prone and potentiall will cost us more money than we sold Matt for.

Plus the goals Francis supplied from midfield weren''t replaced

Some of the posts in this thread expound on why many of us are concerned about Worthington.

He is the man responsible for the make-up of the squad and several have pointed out over a considerable period of time that it is an unbalanced squad lacking strength in both width and the midfield.

It is one of the reasons why we are struggling right now and it a reason that falls fairly on squarely with Worthington''s area of responsibility.