Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Questions for the manager about Maddison

I''m relatively happy with the squad and Oliveira coming in and the fact we have kept our best players apart from Redmond - and we got a great replacement for him in Canos, but one thing has left me really puzzled, so my questions for the manager would be these -What has changed to make you send Maddison on loan when you said you wouldn''t?Why couldn''t he stay and use cup games and development matches as preparation for fighting his way into the team?  Most people who have seen him think he is ready and the real deal, so why do you think he''s not ready? Why persist with players who are not performing when you have the likes of Maddison who most think he is good enough and ready to make the break through?Many fans would like to see more of the youngsters, not less and you are known for bringing through youngsters - so why are we seeing poor performances from older players and not getting to see the likes of Maddison more?Many people don''t understand the strategy and unless we see success on the pitch, especially after the last display, the strategy is going to look even more questionable, so what is the strategy on Maddison?

I''d assume because Naismith didn''t leave and we can''t afford to pay his wages and not actually use him, thus pushing Maddison a bit further down the pecking order.

If only the manager has something like a weekly meeting with a group of journalists then we might be able to find out what his thinking was.

king canary wrote the following post at 01/09/2016 9:12 AM:

I''d assume because Naismith didn''t leave and we can''t afford to pay his wages and not actually use him, thus pushing Maddison a bit further down the pecking order.

The club has to pay Naismith''s wages wether he plays or not so that wouldn''t be relevant to selection decisions. If AN thought Maddison is a better choice he would select him surely?

Aberdeen is a really good destination for Maddison to be loaned out to. Maybe when Neil said he wouldn''t be loaned out an offer like this wasn''t on the table at the time.The player will benefit more playing regular top flight football in Scotland (and in some really good atmospheres such as the Celtic and Rangers games) than getting the occasional run out here. I can''t see how Maddison would have been any more than a fringe player over the next few months considering the other options we have who play in a similar position to him.

With Naismith I can only understand it as the embarrassment factor of having paid such a large transfer fee, just to bench him, despite being in a lower division.  He gets paid his wages either way.

But AN is going to have to bite the bullet on that one if he keeps playing Naismith and Naismith keeps failing to perform.  If that continues and we don''t get the results to put us in the playoff places (probably need to be in contention for the top 2) then I think AN is going to come under massive pressure.

As for Maddison, I can only think it''s the large number of midfield players we have in the club and AN wants to get him into top shape by playing every week, which can''t be guaranteed here.  Now that begs another question of why we''ve ended up with so many midfielders and is dubious logic anyway IMO, but I''m guessing that''s his answer.

IMO, Maddison was signed as a potential successor to Wes, who is now 34. At 19, however, with Wes, Naismith and Pritchard ahead of him, his prospects over the next 4 months would be limited to EFL Trophy games. As has been said, he will get top-flight experience at Aberdeen. That makes sense to me, both for the player and the club.

should of been shadowing wes

he would learn more in 6 months watching / training and playing with wes than he will in 6 years at aberdeen !!

a chance for regular footie to toughen him up rather than 3/4 fleeting appearances here so there is plenty of logic behind it, esp with dorrans and pritchard to come back in.

then come jan we can assess just how well or not our midfield options have done and where he fits in - so 3 months does make sense

Really don''t understand the uproar about this move, as mentioned above Naismith, Hoolahan and Pritchard are all ahead of him so where can he fit in with the first team plans?

Feels to me like a lot of people, who are already angry (probably fairly) at the transfer dealings, are just finding a reason to vent their general frustrations at any decision the club now makes.

From what I''ve seen of him he certainly looks a prospect, played very well against Coventry and scored against Peterborough. But Josh Murphy who has had shockers for the first team so far this season also looked good in these games. Not sure therefore how much of an accurate comparison we can draw here. Andreu bagging a hat-trick against Peterborough pretty much epitomizes this...

Good loan for the lad, hope he breaks into the first team and nails down some regular competitive first team football.

Completely agree with Hank and Yelloow, Maddison will come back a stronger and more experienced player.

Can anyone really say Niasmith and Pritchard are ahead of him? One utterly useless one nowhere near match fit, will take 6-8 weeks before he''s up to top form.

So really only Wes ahead of him IMO, it was an easy cop out to save face with Naismith, but still this is a guy we should trust after saying he would clear out players and Maddison would not be going out on loan!

Really disappointed to see Maddison go.

What must the guy think? Turns down bigger clubs than us to sign for Norwich, only to be shunted out on loan.

Would like to see him training day in, day out with Wes to learn the craft of that position.

Having watched him on several occasions, he''s not ready - struggles to impose himself on a game for full 90 and fades in and out. A loan is the correct decision to get him game time and experience. Having said that, I''m staggered its Aberdeen; not a step up from Cov; genuinely don''t think we''ve sent him to the right club.