Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Football finances - Swansea Versus NCFC

Hi all

I expect some of you did see that the Swans CEO briefed the press to expect a huge loss in their accounts for last season. Given that they don''t own their ground, that they have been effectively taken over by a US group of investors, and most importantly, survived that year in the Premier League (unlike Norwich), does this fuel the flames of two tiers existing within that league. In that even if you do get their, unless you gain European qualification, you will have to spend more than you earn just to stay in the league.

Perhaps this is the real truth of the blank transfer windows.

I would say there are more than two tiers in the premier league. You have your big 4/5, a small group under that such as Liverpool and Spurs, a whole host of middling teams then your 5/6 at the bottom which is where we fight it out if we are there.

Dont see the equation between City vs. Swansea?..bizarre.  Done see anything about blank transfer windows...NCFC certainly have not had any recent blank transfer windows.Its hard to equate any other club financially with any other one, as all 92 clubs will financially be different for many varying reasons. NCFC certainly are unique more than most, its difficult to equate us with anyone. All one can can do is try loosely, to compare us with clubs in similar situations, i.e. ones without super rich mega owners who willingly plough in money to their clubs like confetti. In such conditions, i guess we are on a par with clubs like Leeds and Ipswich, showing that what we have done has been hugely more successful, getting 4 recent seasons in the Prem, hereby earning the right to Prem riches, and yes earning the right to parachute payments also.

I was reading that earlier and it made me kinda depressed.

Like us, they were punching way above their financial weight. In our period of transition when we lost holt/Lambert and our better players declined we didn''t really invest and looked for supposed bargains like RVW because we were so obsessed with being debt free.

Swansea plowed money in, racked up debt to stay in that league and now they have the rewards. yes, our owners are poor, but so are Swansea''s. They knew you couldn''t get complacent in that league and were proactive. We as fans could see where we were heading after hughtons first year but we sat on our hands and hoped we could grind our way to 17th. ...Probably didn''t hurt that Swansea realised you need pace and power to survive in the PL now while we bought small, weak, supposedly technical players (and continue this policy much to my frustration) but whatever...

If we don''t go up in the next two years we''ll rack that debt up again anyway. Well done to them for having some real balls and taking the time to learn the league and what is actually required to stay up. It''s a shame this club gets so complacent after any kind of small success

I think that it''s a fair comparison Jess, until the recent takeover Swansea were in a very similar position to us, promoted at the same time, debt free, owners who wouldn''t pump millions into the club, similar sized stadium and a very similar wage bill. The only tangible difference was that the council owned the stadium and they paid a peppercorn rent for it.

Our paths diverged somewhat over the last 2-3 years due to their ability to scout and apply a consistent footballing policy across different managers meaning they stayed in the Premiership, but, still a valid comparison.