Sign in to follow this  
Donkey dangler

Bruce or Lambert?

Also I''m amused to see Waveney backing the return of Lambert on this thread. At least he doesn''t call for it in every single post now.

For me , Lambert has never been able to recapture the setup that worked so well here. Villa was a poison chalice but one that he chose and made great efforts to get so you''ve got to say it was a huge error of judgement. And at Blackburn he retreated into a sort of "getting the band back together " mentality which also failed. I''d have no faith he''d be anything except a reprise of Mike Walker- the Return.

Mind you I''ve never been convinced by Bruce as a manager ...

choice 1. board fuck off asap, they can afford to run a modern football club, sell up, fuck off, thanks but youre no longer requiredchoice 2. neither bruce or lambert, bruce would cost a fortune and lambert would be another walker, hes had his finest hour, however, id take either of those over roy hodgson and ive got a horrible feeling delia & co have been lining this one up since this summer, would be an epic fatal fucking mistake

An interesting choice DD - on balance Bruce. Unfortunately, the Lennon boat has sailed when we gave away one of those rare Norwich City strikers, Mr Hooper. What price Gary now.

"Unfortunately the Lennon boat has sailed"... I would say given how atrocious he was at Bolton, we are very bloody fortunate never to have boarded that boat!

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Neither Bruce nor Lambert for me. I''d stick with AN.

Interestingly, our price has come right down after the window closed. We''re now as short as 7-2 to win the league, whereas a couple of weeks ago we were around 5-1 and a couple of months ago about 9-1.

Top 6:

Newcastle 7-4

Norwich 7-2

Brighton 5-1

Huddersfield 14-1

Villa 18-1

Wolves 20-1

So, the doom and gloom amongst the majority on here is not shared by the bookies. I agree with them.[/quote]

I''d have a few quid on Villa at that price!

As far as squads go, we are up there with anyone. Newcastle had a great window and they are only not going to finish top if they completely mess up which I can''t see; but I think we have as good a chance as anyone for second.

For that to happen, Klose has to work out the Championship quickly; we need Pritchard fit and AN to realise that Brady is not a left back and Whittaker is not good enough. Going forward we are as good as anyone.

The goals will take care of themselves - we need to stop conceding them to get promoted.

Bruce - simply because his reccord is better. I also dont think he is limited at all.

His teams are often a blend of picks from lower leagues whilst throwing in quality from higher up. He does well with youngsters and tends to do very well in the transfer market.

If you look what he did to transform Wigan then you''d have to say he transformed them.

He is a good motivator of players and would know Brady and Jerome from spells as their manager.

[quote user="I Forming"]Sigh- bookies odds are driven purely by punters'' betting, so those odds just reflect they must be getting a fair number of bets on City to win the league, nothing to do with what the bookies actually think. Which is interesting but let''s remember punters overwhelmingly backed a Remain victory...[/quote]

Erm, no. No they''re not. A large amount of money can influence a price but there are all kinds of factors that affect the odds of anything. Probability included. That''s why bookmakers employ odds compilers.

To give a relevant example, England will always be shorter than their true value because people back England blindly because they''re English.

Likewise any horse trained by Aiden O''Brien will probably be a couple of notches under its true representation because of the class of horse he has at his disposal.

If odds were purely decided by the money punted how would you ever have a market before anyone had placed a bet?

Incidentally I had a guy place a bet today on Norwich to be relegated. 150/1. Only Newcastle are longer at 200/1. Villa are a mere 22/1.

You''re welcome.

There used to be a poster who''d give a detailed explanation of how bookies set odds, can''t remember who it is and whether he still posts, but it was a useful corrective to the misunderstanding that people would frequently post "the bookies think..." as if it''s some sort of independent view.

Anyway for something like who''ll win the league, obviously they have to set the initial odds but thereafter it''s determined by bets placed by punters. The bookies adjust the odds to make sure they won''t be out of pocket whoever wins.

The factors you mention simply mean more bets will be placed in England on England to win so the odds will be shorter than otherwise, etc.

So the current odds will be driven by betting movements and are interesting in a "wisdom of crowds" sort of way.

I agree with all that, ICF, but what interests me is why, if things are supposedly so bad here, are betters putting more money on our chances than on Villa, Derby and Brighton say.

Neither.Lambert made his choice when he left, and has looked utterly lost since then, and Bruce has never really inspired me with the way his teams play either.I''d much rather we bothered to look abroad for a talented manager than keep regurgitating the same old names like Bruce et al.Whether or not we could convince someone like Marcelino to come here I don''t know, but I''d much rather we tried to find out than find Steve Bruce rocking up as manager in a month or so...

[quote user="Highland Canary"]An interesting choice DD - on balance Bruce. Unfortunately, the Lennon boat has sailed when we gave away one of those rare Norwich City strikers, Mr Hooper. What price Gary now.[/quote]
[IMG]http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Hysterical-Laughing-Gif-05.gif[/IMG]

I feel Lambert just ''clicked'' with the club at the time of his arrival, it being the right place at right time for him and McNally (and Holt!). Our 3 seasons under him remain some of my fondest. I think we''d struggle to replicate the success another time around.

Bruce has a pretty solid record but has just walked out on a club because he felt he wasn''t being backed in the transfer market - So I certainly can''t see him wanting to come here!

Lambert every time. Coaching badges in Germany. Great team selections and substitutions,no favourites- dropped if no show and encouraged players to play until the final whistle. No way Naismith would get a look in.

[quote user="Felixfan"]Lambert every time. Coaching badges in Germany. Great team selections and substitutions,no favourites- dropped if no show and encouraged players to play until the final whistle. No way Naismith would get a look in.[/quote]

Good post the team were always motivated, we did our business early on in the transfer window and the late goals oh my the late goals, the thought has so excited me I off for a

There is an interesting theory from some though. Lambert did well with us. But he had a very specific team around him that he has not had since then really.

Karsa and Culverhouse - Lambert has failed to emulate his success with us anywhere else without those two.

lol

Lambert stabbed Culverhouse in the back, Culverhouse left his side. Since then Lambert smashed records to become Villa''s worst manager and completed the destruction of the once mighty Blackburn. Without Culverhouse it is likely he would have failed here.

If Lambert returns I suspect our squad will break up in January.