Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Moxey on Radio Norfolk

Ricardo''s views make sense, but even if the finances eventually dictate we can''t compete to get back in the premier league - it doesn''t mean we are doomed.   The leagues will settle down with the super rich in the premier league and in the top ten championship teams, but we will still be a club living within its means and with a good ethos - and that can go a long way to counter balancing just money. I think everyone would agree that some extra investment will be necessary at some point - but it is not the be all and end all of the future of the club in the short to medium term.   At the present time we can compete and until investment is forthcoming, in whatever guise, we are still an extremely stable and relatively well off club.  The urgency to find investment will increase if we start to struggle to get back to the PL, but this season, we have a great chance to get back anyway.  If we don''t get back this season, next season will see a bit more urgency to find that investment - but then if the young players we have start to come through, our competitiveness will still be there in abundance next season.  I''m starting to waffle now, but the message is clear, at present we are in a good position with good players, paying good wages and by rights should be challenging for promotion this season.  That is really all that matters, but if things go wrong and we don''t look like competing, the urgency will start to increase.  The future is difficult to predict, but people starting to worry now are just worrying for the sake of it. We are still on track and if things go well we will stay on track.  If things don''t go well there will be some reason to start worrying.  Five games in is too soon to start getting worried.

The world of football is changing and changing rapidly. The current model at the club isn''t adapting to the extra money and expertise in football.

The club is being run like an Anglian combination team not one that wishes to be an established premier league team safely in mid table

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]You are missing my point ricardo. Let me put it a different way (and no offence meant): if we consider the lives people lead, from the most fortunate, with the world their oyster, to the least fortunate, for whom just surviving is a daily struggle, I hazard a guess that you are among neither group and that you do not have much if any expectation of joining those at "life''s top table". Despite that, I doubt very much if you think life is not worth living and consider yourself consigned to the dustbin of history. As a recent feature on the BBC put it, it is perfectly possible to be happy in mediocrity and the devoted supporters of clubs for whom reaching the top will never be more than a pipe dream testify to its validity in football terms. You talk dismissively of "small glories", but I bet there are countless examples in your own life of ricardo and mrs ricardo deriving happiness and satisfaction from your own "small glories".[/quote]My comment of "small glories" was not meant to be dismissive. It is merely a reflection of the realities that are open to clubs lower down the football pyramid. Unfortunately this and many other recent threads reveal that a large proportion of our own supporters find difficulty in accepting that the same realities apply to us.We are basically a middle ranking club that spends its life between the bottom half of the Prem and top half of the Champs. On very exceptional occasions we exceed this at both ends of the spectrum. I know and accept this reality because for over sixty supporting years I have lived it.The path and the model that the present owners have set has been relatively successful but being a self financing club relies heavily upon regular forays into the top flight in order to sustain the model. My point is that this becomes progressively more difficult to sustain in a world where clubs of a similar or lower financial status are now being bankrolled by ultra rich benefactors. Yes, we can become smarter in all sectors of our operation but ultimately our lack of financial clout will be the thing that holds us back as Premiership forays become less frequent.