Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Angus Gunn

And it did !  He''s got to have a long think about his career, is he going to stay where he is, being a number two, or go to play for a first team, maybe for less money, but to furthering his playing career.

The lad''s 20, has just got his first break at City, is doing well when called upon for the England youth ranks, and has the opportunity to work under Pep - why would he want to leave?

He could do a couple more seasons of that and then become Man City''s no.1 at the age of 23, for example.

If Pep Guardiola is as clever as they say, he will surely be looking to mould an extremely talented ''keeper into what he requires. I did see some stories over the past few days that Gunn is one of the reasons Hart was pushed out as Gunn is highly regarded there. With Bruno being 33 and Caballero 34, although Keepers do generally play for longer, he must surely be the next in line for long term No1, although probably not for a few years yet given what they spent on Bravo.

It''s a difficult position to break through sadly, and we can look at players like Rudd who has been stuck as a number 2 (or 3) for large chunks of his career. In 7 seasons he''s played just 34 games for us, and 101 overall considering his loan spells. Rudd will still become a good keeper at some point, no doubt about it but a doubt over whether it''ll ever be for us, as whilst Ruddy is here, and now we''ve signed McGovern, he''s in a similar position to Gunn.

Interesting how we seem to produce keepers - Rob Green, Joe Lewis, Declan Rudd, Jed Steer, Angus Gunn, Remi Matthews. With the exception of Green, all have ended up elsewhere and were/are unlikely to become our number 1.

AJ wrote the following post at 07/09/2016 9:43 AM:

Angus left in 2011 for £250,000

I think Angus left before that. From memory when Gunny got fired and left the club, he moved the family up north (job with the digital phone company , and Angus went with him. I''m not sure how he then got into the Man City academy, but Mr McNasty dug his heels in and claimed compo for the move. It went to Tribunal and we got £250,000. I think 2011 may have been when the comp was agreed.

Then again I could be wrong. Perhaps someone (I wonder who?) could put me right?

I believe you will find AJ is correct, I know for a fact it was 2011 when Gunny moved up North, with the family as he took a job with Triple S as a football agent, the company that looks after Wayne Rooney amongst others ( a bit like a posh Neil Adams) Gunny looks after new talent as well as recruiting, and I believe but cant swear that its through those connections the Angus got picked up at Man City.

Point being the son of one of our greatest keepers - yes, no Keelan but a very decent club keeper - is now doing well in the world for himself. If we can''t enjoy that even a little bit then something has gone wrong with people''s sense of community.

''Fraid not buddy, unfortunately my first game won''t be till Fulham away in a few weeks (fingers crossed) - my work pattern will change then, and I''ll then be back up regularly, hope all well with you mate 👍

Re Angus Gunn, looks like his father had the last laugh there with the club, but at least McNally managed to get something.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]I believe you will find AJ is correct, I know for a fact it was 2011 when Gunny moved up North, with the family as he took a job with Triple S as a football agent, the company that looks after Wayne Rooney amongst others ( a bit like a posh Neil Adams) Gunny looks after new talent as well as recruiting, and I believe but cant swear that its through those connections the Angus got picked up at Man City.[/quote]

Thanks Lessingham. That does make sense. I really should check before I type. I think the tribunal bit is right ?

I''m not sure on the exact date of settlement, there is an article on the Pinkun dated 5th Dec 2011 which announces that Norwich would get £250,000 as a conclusion of the tribunal.

I do remember it seemed to drag on for an awful long time though.

It''s a shame he was forced away from us in that manner as he''s destined for great things, but Bryan is a clever man, and I think we''d all agree in our right minds that unless he was playing as a No1 and regularly, there''d be no benefit of him staying here over moving to somewhere like Man City. Especially financially, I would assume...

I actually have my own Angus story.

A few years ago , I was a coach at some trial games at Colney. For those that haven''t seen these, these are part of the continual assessment the academy players and also a chance to introduce some trialists. Players are divided into teams for SSG''s, given a number and the scouts would assess. The nightmare of these round robin games is getting players to play in unwanted positions, and GK was the worst.

My team was called out  and one Angus Gunn was a part of my squad. Great news all round. AG had his GK shirt on, and even then was about 3 feet taller than everyone else (allowing for exaggeration) . However when I started to put the team together for their first game Gunny Junior dropped the bombshell. He didn''t want to play in goal!

AG was pretty adamant. He preferred playing "on pitch" and fancied himself as a striker.

as I started to panic, I noticed Gunn Senior had just walked into the Dome. 10 seconds later, after a fatherly chat, Angus was between the sticks. It seems he hasn''t looked back since.

Naturally I take the credit whenever asked