Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Who is going to be our inspiration this season?

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 08/09/2016 6:41 PM:

For inspiration this season look no further than the directors box where the heir apparent and leader in waiting sits beside his auntie.

Over to you Crafty. Wink [;)]

When the Supreme and Great Leaders croak the other directors had better watch out. If the Dear Leader thinks they have not wailed and blubber for long enough he will have them tied to posts in the centre circle. They will then be bombarded by the players firing footballs at them until they expire. Given our players it will be a long, slow but probably not fatal experience.

I got a bit worried when i read the '' tied to posts in the centre circle '' as i thought what would come next would be a reference to burning effigies Crafty.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I find it far more entertaining at H/T than the crossbar challenge.[/quote]
I guess an empty directors box is more entertaining than the crossbar challenge[;)]

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 08/09/2016 9:02 PM:

I got a bit worried when i read the '' tied to posts in the centre circle '' as i thought what would come next would be a reference to burning effigies Crafty.

Now the board are rated as Conference level that would be too good for them probably. Mind you it could happen on November 5th.

Under AN does anybody really play regularly enough to do the job lakey described? I had hoped it might be Naismith but that is not looking promising. Klose or Hoolahan perhaps?

I hoped it would be Naismith too. Maybe it still will be but doesn''t look too hopeful.

Could we not have an effigy of Naismith burning in a kind of Wickerman affair at the side of the pitch to provide inspiration for all home games?

Although, on second thoughts, it would probably receive criticism for not burning as well as anticipated, the positioning would be wrong and it wouldn''t fit in with the existing effigies we already have.

Apples

[quote user="ec-p"]I hoped it would be Naismith too. Maybe it still will be but doesn''t look too hopeful.[/quote]It only doesn''t look hopeful to those who jump to conclusions on the basis of what they think they "see" in the course of a few matches. I expect Naismith to cause a lot of people to eat their words in due course.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Could we not have an effigy of Naismith burning in a kind of Wickerman affair at the side of the pitch to provide inspiration for all home games?

Although, on second thoughts, it would probably receive criticism for not burning as well as anticipated, the positioning would be wrong and it wouldn''t fit in with the existing effigies we already have.

Apples[/quote]
Over to you Crafty......

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="ec-p"]I hoped it would be Naismith too. Maybe it still will be but doesn''t look too hopeful.[/quote]It only doesn''t look hopeful to those who jump to conclusions on the basis of what they think they "see" in the course of a few matches. I expect Naismith to cause a lot of people to eat their words in due course.[/quote]

I would love that to be true.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="ec-p"]I hoped it would be Naismith too. Maybe it still will be but doesn''t look too hopeful.[/quote]It only doesn''t look hopeful to those who jump to conclusions on the basis of what they think they "see" in the course of a few matches. I expect Naismith to cause a lot of people to eat their words in due course.
[/quote]

I really hope you''re right here west coast.  What worries me about Naismith is how he''s looked ever since he joined us in January.  Which is not what I hoped we were getting for our £8m.  I hope that dropping to a lower division will allow him to show he''s a better quality player than those we''re coming up against.  But I haven''t seen it yet.  If he does show that over the rest of the season, that would be great.  I''m not holding my breath though.

Biggest issue with Naismith is that 8 million quid may be a lot of money to Norwich City, but in reality that amount really doesn''t buy you much in the Premiership these days.Yes he has been disappointing, but are people expecting too much?His isn''t the only average form on the pitch.

[quote user="morty"]Biggest issue with Naismith is that 8 million quid may be a lot of money to Norwich City, but in reality that amount really doesn''t buy you much in the Premiership these days.Yes he has been disappointing, but are people expecting too much?His isn''t the only average form on the pitch.[/quote]
I think some expected too much as soon as he came in last season but despite that he''s been woefully below that of others when it comes to the simple things like passing 10 yards.
You can forgive Hoolahan for occasionally losing the ball because you know there''s a good chance he''ll create something, that isn''t the case of Naismith, he hasn''t earnt that yet - as he has created pretty much b*gger all!

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]Biggest issue with Naismith is that 8 million quid may be a lot of money to Norwich City, but in reality that amount really doesn''t buy you much in the Premiership these days.Yes he has been disappointing, but are people expecting too much?His isn''t the only average form on the pitch.[/quote]
I think some expected too much as soon as he came in last season but despite that he''s been woefully below that of others when it comes to the simple things like passing 10 yards.
You can forgive Hoolahan for occasionally losing the ball because you know there''s a good chance he''ll create something, that isn''t the case of Naismith, he hasn''t earnt that yet - as he has created pretty much b*gger all!
[/quote]I have to admit that I wrote last season off for him based on the fact he was woefully short of first team football and fitness. But you''re right, he really needs to step up to the plate soon. Maybe the transfer window unsettled him, who knows?

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 09/09/2016 11:40 AM:

Mr Apples wrote:

Could we not have an effigy of Naismith burning in a kind of Wickerman affair at the side of the pitch to provide inspiration for all home games? Although, on second thoughts, it would probably receive criticism for not burning as well as anticipated, the positioning would be wrong and it wouldn''t fit in with the existing effigies we already have. Apples.

Over to you Crafty....

Well I think it would you to be there fanning the flames Nutty. After all some of those bog cleaning materials can be very flammable.

It''s Character Forming wrote: "I hope that dropping to a lower division will allow him to show he''s a

better quality player than those we''re coming up against.  But I haven''t

seen it yet."If we signed Ozil he''d almost certainly be dubbed hopeless and a huge waste of money for the same sorts of reason as Naismith. Playing with less good players than you''re used to requires considerable adjustment (and I''m sure involves self-questioning about whether you''ve made the right decision). IMO SN has the character to deal with it in time.

Well I hope he doesn''t explain to his team mates that the reason he has been **** this season is because he''s adjusting to playing with less good players WCC!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]Biggest issue with Naismith is that 8 million quid may be a lot of money to Norwich City, but in reality that amount really doesn''t buy you much in the Premiership these days.Yes he has been disappointing, but are people expecting too much?His isn''t the only average form on the pitch.[/quote]
[/quote]I have to admit that I wrote last season off for him based on the fact he was woefully short of first team football and fitness. But you''re right, he really needs to step up to the plate soon. Maybe the transfer window unsettled him, who knows?[/quote]
I presume he didn''t come here expecting to be relegated although it was always a possibility. On top of that, he done little to help that, but like you say, maybe there are excuses for his performance last season.
This season you''re right, he needs to step up to the plate soon not least because where he plays, linking the midfield with the attack, is so integral to our playing style of central, down the middle quick passing, that him losing the ball or giving it away under little pressure is almost suicidal for us.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Its Character Forming wrote: "I hope that dropping to a lower division will allow him to show he''s a better quality player than those we''re coming up against.  But I haven''t seen it yet."
If we signed Ozil he''d almost certainly be dubbed hopeless and a huge waste of money for the same sorts of reason as Naismith. Playing with less good players than you''re used to requires considerable adjustment (and I''m sure involves self-questioning about whether you''ve made the right decision). IMO SN has the character to deal with it in time.
[/quote]

I''ve no idea why you think Ozil would suffer from the same problems that we''ve seen from Naismith, which is basically(for me) that he''s contributed little to team performances, in attack and defence, so it''s been like playing with a passenger all too often.  If Ozil had been playing against the scum I think he''d have revelled in the time & space that Naismith had available in midfield (and I don''t think he''d have been kicked off the pitch - it was a pretty clean game, all things considered).  But it''s a made-up and speculative comparison which proves nothing, because we''re not likely to see Ozil playing for City in the Championship any time soon, so how well he''d get on is anyone''s guess.

Yes, it''s difficult to play with players who are less good than you''re used to, but we''ve not seen Naismith looking like he''s better than those around him and let down by them failing to pick up on his quick thinking or anticipate his clever passes, etc.  If anything it''s the reverse.  By and large, if a good player moves to a less good team - and is motivated - it''s immediately obvious he''s a better player, even though there may be some adjustment to the style of play etc.  Just look at Klose - it''s obvious he''s a class above the rest of our defence.  Naismith just hasn''t shown that.  So while I hope he will overcome this, I''m not holding my breath - whereas I''m confident Klose will overcome his recent wobble in form (which hasn''t been that bad anyway).

I''m fairly confident that players like Brady, Olsson, Redmond and Hoolahan could get into Evertons XI, so it''s not like we can blame Naismiths shakey start to his NCFC on his teammates.

That''s like putting Messi, Ronaldo, or as pointed out above Ozil, in a pub team and them failing to score or stand out as star players. Of course they would score, and they''d probably score bucketloads because they are that good. Talent is always on show, no matter how poor your form is. That was the problem with RVW, we never saw any talent to warrant giving him a run of games. With Naismith we HAVE seen what he can do. His performances against Liverpool last season, and Blackburn this season were displays of the talent he can inject into out attacks. Sadly he lacks consistency, and perhaps motivation and drive. But lets remember how poor Roberts was when he first came here, it might take a bit of time to get good, but we know he has the talent at his disposal - I still await the proof he was worth as much as we were forced to pay for him, though...

@ITCThe reason I compared Naismith with Ozil is because Ozil went through a very similar of period of adjustment after joining from Real Madrid, and the Arsenal fans were giving him the same sort of stick. It got to the point where Wenger felt the need to defend him, saying adapting to the different league and style "takes time".@HairyI''m sure he doesn''t have to explain anything to his team mates; they''ll mostly have experienced similar difficulties themselves at some point in their careers.@AJI simply don''t agree that Brady, Olsson, Redmond and Hoolahan would be, or have been, first choice players at Everton; but that''s by the way. Yes, people should be reminded just how underwhelming Iwan was at first; my view is that we are seeing Naismith go through a similar honeymoon period. Motivation and drive? If Naismith lacks those it will be the first ever time in his career and news to every manager he has ever played under!