Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Who is going to be our inspiration this season?

Our best years since 2009 we have had a real powerhouse of a player dominate - Holt for L1, championship and PL -  and Bradley last time out in the championship.   It seems to me that to succeed a team needs that kind of inspiration.  The last promotion was definitely inspired by Johnson, who seemed to epitomise the will to succeed.  We had no-one last season who drove us on - maybe Klose would have done if he had stayed fit, but who is going to do that this season?  As yet no one player has made a huge impression on the team or seemed to be a leader on the pitch.   I would back Klose to be that figure this season,  but is there someone else that could give us that driving edge?   Brady looks sometimes as if he could be that, but he hasn''t looked it so far.  To succeed we need someone to be the big character and inspire/lead the team. Who is it going to be?

When Ed wins Strictly we''ll bring out a commemorative 4th strip, yellow with green sequins, the team will wear it for the remaining games of the season and we''ll win the Champs.

I''m one of Johnson''s biggest fan''s but I wouldn''t say he was necessarily a leader. His goals in the championship last time though were a joy to behold, especially with all the (somewhat unwarranted) criticism he faced prior to that.
But despite not being a leader he''s one that fan''s could take to, to really give it 100%. Whether that had any impact on those around him or not im not sure.

[quote user="Chemical Bro"]If he can stay fit then Alex Pritchard could easily be that man[/quote]

Bro, I have a sneaking feeling Alex could be the one. Bet he was the reason Brentford did so well that season.

If he plays anywhere as well for us, as he did against us the sky the limit.

Yes very different to Holt, and Bradley, who really got stuck in every game. But Alex is more of an artist, who I feel sure will bring out the best in everyone around him.

Just hope Saturday will be Alex in Naismith out!!

Rather sad that Lakey can''t pose a very good and thoroughly pertinent question without people rushing mindlessly to ridicule him. I think Pritchard will naturally assume this mantle once he has cemented his place in centre midfield.

I think Pritchard will be good but not sure he''s really an ''inspirational'' type figure.
Not even sure we need one. It''s a bit like the captaincy debate. You need a 2 or 3 good leaders in a team, particularly in this league, to excel.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Rather sad that Lakey can''t pose a very good and thoroughly pertinent question without people rushing mindlessly to ridicule him. I think Pritchard will naturally assume this mantle once he has cemented his place in centre midfield.[/quote]

I wouldn''t worry, wcc.   Actually, mentioning Snodgrass had crossed my mind, but then I thought, no, I only wanted to talk about those who were successful leaders in a successful season.....To succeed we need someone to do something special, a bit like Holt did all those seasons and Johnson did for one season. Hopefully, Pritchard can be that man.

Johnson wasn''t a leader but he had an exceptional season and his crucial goals carried us over the line on many occasions.

As for the current crop, there are no obvious big characters like Holt, maybe Klose in time, and we still haven''t properly replaced Holt as a proper leader in the 3 years he''s been gone.

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m one of Johnson''s biggest fan''s but I wouldn''t say he was necessarily a leader. His goals in the championship last time though were a joy to behold, especially with all the (somewhat unwarranted) criticism he faced prior to that.
But despite not being a leader he''s one that fan''s could take to, to really give it 100%. Whether that had any impact on those around him or not im not sure.
[/quote]
I think that''s probably right Hoggy. But I think Bradley Johnson was a huge inspiration for "us" when you include the fans. Many players over the years have inspired supporters but never captained the side. Then you have the Grant Holt / Duncan Forbes type who do both. I think Jonny Howson is a captain who can inspire the team but maybe not the fans. He''s quieter on the pitch and not really inspiring when interviewed. However when I had the chance to listen to him at the Fan''s Forum he certainly spoke with authority in his own way.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="hogesar"]I''m one of Johnson''s biggest fan''s but I wouldn''t say he was necessarily a leader. His goals in the championship last time though were a joy to behold, especially with all the (somewhat unwarranted) criticism he faced prior to that.
[/quote]
I think that''s probably right Hoggy. But I think Bradley Johnson was a huge inspiration for "us" when you include the fans. Many players over the years have inspired supporters but never captained the side. Then you have the Grant Holt / Duncan Forbes type who do both. I think Jonny Howson is a captain who can inspire the team but maybe not the fans. He''s quieter on the pitch and not really inspiring when interviewed. However when I had the chance to listen to him at the Fan''s Forum he certainly spoke with authority in his own way.
[/quote]
Yeah, as fans he was easy to take to and was a figurehead in that championship season, regardless of who was manager. Was disappointing when he left even though it was for a great fee! Again you''re right with Howson. The unfortunate thing is the quieter captains like him will struggle to have an impact on fans. He''s a hard worker but I think that doesn''t always get noticed with him. I presume he can captain a team OK, he was captain for Leeds afterall!

Russ Martin gets stick from some for not being a "leader" and he''s not a typical shouty skipper, but I think the role he plays at the club in terms of being a good link between the squad and management, as well as being a great club man and ambassador, makes him a good captain in my opinion.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Russ Martin gets stick from some for not being a "leader" and he''s not a typical shouty skipper, but I think the role he plays at the club in terms of being a good link between the squad and management, as well as being a great club man and ambassador, makes him a good captain in my opinion.[/quote]
Agreed. Always comes across like the other players respect him, too.

For inspiration this season look no further than the directors box where the heir apparent and leader in waiting sits beside his auntie.Over to you Crafty. [;)]