Sign in to follow this  
shaunieboy77

Pilkington

[quote user="morty"]I''m not aware of any bad blood he has with us, yeah, odd.[/quote]Like most ex-players he left under a bit of a cloud. Being constantly injured didn''t endear him to the supporters and he seemed to show a lack of effort towards the end of his time here.Seemed to fancy himself a bit too much after his goal against Man Utd when we beat them 1-0. You can only dine out on that for so long.....

The first season back up under Lambert he was one of our standout players IMHO, he proved a constant threat to opposing sides, either through his excellent crossing or the genuine goal menace he offered, and then the season after Chris Hughton happened...Pilks strikes me as a player who likes to be in the thick of things and involved in play wherever possible, and sadly we spent the next 2 seasons focusing the vast majority of our play down the opposite wing, where he couldn''t use his decent pace and counter-attacking instincts because we went far more defensive, and where by the end of CH''s tenure, Pilks had been so marginalised it wasn''t funny and I don''t blame the guy for wanting out.Sadly I think he''s another player that would have continued to flourish under Lambert, but instead stagnated under Hughton.

Tbf, if I had the Barclay taking the piss and chanting "what''s the score" at me, I would probably be inclined to make the gesture he did too.

Great player for us, including under Hughton, but so vulnerable to injury was never going to be a stalwart of the team and was probably right to move on when he did.

He had great potential, hence the Man u apprenticeship, but i always felt he was a bit if a ''Billy Big Bollix'', class skill, nearly two footed (v rare indeed) , a trick or two and decent delivery but just a shade too up himself. Shame really because he never gets a look in for Ireland now ,either.

Cardiff is hardly a step up from Norwich. Was interseting comparing the two teams yesterday. Both relegated together with the same parachute payments. They had one of those shiny ambitious foreign investors and we had an ambitious cook. I wouldn''t have swapped any of our players for theirs....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Cardiff is hardly a step up from Norwich. Was interseting comparing the two teams yesterday. Both relegated together with the same parachute payments. They had one of those shiny ambitious foreign investors and we had an ambitious cook. I wouldn''t have swapped any of our players for theirs....
[/quote]I think the jury''s been out on that one for some time Nutty. [;)]

Those were the days when you could buy a top championship player for £2m. He had enormous potential but injuries took their toll to rob him. As we saw he has not lost an for goal and could always hit a ball well. He has lost a lot if pace but will still earn a good living at championship level. He could still do a job for us now as a second striker and makes Naismiths fee and wages look a rvw buy

Thing is chaps, Lambert didn''t stay, he didn''t want to stay the season we went up.

He also hasn''t achieved anymore than he did after he left us in all honesty.

And in most cases, neither have any of his former players other than the ones that stayed here, bar perhaps Surman.

Other than that, the likes of Jackson, Ward, Whitbread, Tierney, Morison etc have all failed to better their time under Lambert with us.

Pilkington was great for us. We managed to sell him for half what we paid for him I believe (signed him for £2million, sold him to Cardiff for £1million).

Looking at the players we have had since and we have now, I''m not that bothered. I did think we should have hung on to him at the time but then, as others say, he had had a fair few injuries and it wasn''t that big a shock.

In Pilkington''s world it''s all about him - not the team. He knew nothing about his first goal, then watched Josh Murphy - who was just a lad who was in the youth team when he was here - knock in a Thierry Henry-style gem with consummate ease. Pilks must find it hard to appreciate watching new talent because he went a bit hot-headed after that. To sshh the crowd even when his team was still losing the game shows just how self-centred he is!

[quote user="chicken"]We managed to sell him for half what we paid for him I believe (signed him for £2million, sold him to Cardiff for £1million)[/quote]We actually sold him for £2m (cash up front) Chicko, McNally told us it was the best deal he''d ever done.

An inconsistent and injury prone player. Often poor away from home, a bit ironically.

The only player I can remember being subbed for City on two separate occasions within 20 mins of the start (with nothing much happening to him in either case).

I can understand him trying to shhh the crowd in return for being mocked a bit but it doesn''t work so well when you''re still a goal behind.

I suspect that winner against ManU will stay as his finest hour.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]I suspect that winner against ManU will stay as his finest hour.[/quote]Ah, right, so the integral part he played in our first season back in the prem under Lambert is going to be totally swept under the carpet and just his goal at Man Utd remembered...no wonder some of our players seem to leave with a bit of a chip on their shoulder if that''s what they can expect from the fans!He scored twice as many as any other midfielder in that first season, looked a constant threat in a large amount of games, and was probably one of the best crossers I''ve ever seen at our club that season to boot - even making a ''top 10 most accurate crossers in Europe" list at the start of the following season, but somehow that has morphed into him being nothing special, constantly injured and with an attitude problem...WHAT A F**KING JOKE!It saddens me to see so few of our fans appreciating what Pilks genuinely brought to the table, especially when the things he did usually led to goals or at least good attempts (unlike certain other players we''ve had on the wings since then). He was superbly two-footed, comfortable on either wing, quick (if not Walcott fast), and was brilliantly direct as and when needed.It was only when we started playing Hughton''s brand of "$hitball" that he fell by the wayside, because CH had ZERO interest in a player who would galvanise quick, effective counter-attacks, actually put shots on target, had the nerve to cross the ball accurately and actually TO the striker, and who wasn''t going to hog the ball whilst doing jack $hit with it before falling over and lamenting everyone available - including God...

Well someone didn''t get out of bed the right side.

I''d stand by his goal against Man U being his finest moment, or finest hour as it''s sometimes referred to.  For those who don''t know, this is a reference to a speech by Churchill in 1940 in which he exhorted the people of Britain to fight the Battle of Britain so that even if the British Empire were to last a thousand years, people would still say "that was their finest hour".

The oddest context I''ve come across where part of a Churchill speech appears is in the song "Our Solemn Hour" by the Dutch goth/metal band "Within Temptation" which samples part of his speech given after the fall of France, for reasons that probably make sense to Dutch listeners.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]Cardiff is hardly a step up from Norwich. Was interseting comparing the two teams yesterday. Both relegated together with the same parachute payments. They had one of those shiny ambitious foreign investors and we had an ambitious cook. I wouldn''t have swapped any of our players for theirs....
[/quote]I think the jury''s been out on that one for some time Nutty. [;)]

[/quote]
To be fair arguing it in favour of Cardiff doesn''t really work. but be my guest Smiffy....