Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Wigan

Given the quality in depth in our squad, surely the team will be different on Tuesday.  Yes, I know, winning team and all that, but what team would you put out?  Without seeing yesterday''s match, but knowing minutes played, with Jerome flat out for the whole match, Wes''s legs, Tettey''s knees etc, could it be something like -            McGovernPinto Martin Klose Olsson       Howson Dorrans  Canos  Pitchard Jo Murphy             Oliveira

Alex didn''t think Robbie''s injury was too serious, touch wood. But he will have some real selection dilemmas regardless for Tuesday, that''s for sure - rather him than me! 👍

You can speculate all you like but rest assured The Tinkerman will be at work again. Just look at yesterday and suddenly out of the blue Bennett who has been one of the consistent performers recently gets dropped to the bench and in comes Russell Martin. Just why and for the avoidance of doubt i am not a Martin hater ? An unnecessary and unjustified selection to start the game with in my eyes.

Are Oliveira and Olsson going to be fit? Bit of a concern who''ll play at left back if no Brady either. Whitaker or Martin in this role does not fill me with any kind of confidence...

Think Dorrans will do well to start again given he''s only just returned to match fitness?

-------------------McGovern-------------------

--Pinto----Bennett-----Klose--Not Whitaker

------------Howson----Mulumbu--------------

--Canos---------Pritchard-------Hoolahan----

-------------------Jerome------------------------

Maybe a bit harsh to not start Josh after scoring but I''d rather we went with that 3 in midfield and brought him in on 60 minutes; result permitting.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]You can speculate all you like but rest assured The Tinkerman will be at work again. Just look at yesterday and suddenly out of the blue Bennett who has been one of the consistent performers recently gets dropped to the bench and in comes Russell Martin. Just why and for the avoidance of doubt i am not a Martin hater ? An unnecessary and unjustified selection to start the game with in my eyes.[/quote]

Ignore the troll.Surely with only three days between games there is a need for a litte tinkering, spreading the work around the squad?   With the Martin selection, we did lose 3-0 last time out, so maybe there was a need to address that?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]You can speculate all you like but rest assured The Tinkerman will be at work again. Just look at yesterday and suddenly out of the blue Bennett who has been one of the consistent performers recently gets dropped to the bench and in comes Russell Martin. Just why and for the avoidance of doubt i am not a Martin hater ? An unnecessary and unjustified selection to start the game with in my eyes.[/quote]

Ignore the troll.Surely with only three days between games there is a need for a litte tinkering, spreading the work around the squad?   With the Martin selection, we did lose 3-0 last time out, so maybe there was a need to address that?

[/quote]Awww, are you and Tilly special friends now?[:D]

Whilst the dropping of Bennett seemed to be a change being made just for sake of it - I don''t think it''s a massive issue as there isn''t a great deal of difference in ability between Bennett and Martin and AN probably just wanted to freshen things up given our awful prior result.

I don''t see how making changes for Tuesday''s match is a reason to take a pop at AN.

Considering how god-awful we were for large parts of the game yesterday and bearing in mind this next game is 3 days later; would you honestly advocate starting the same team?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]You can speculate all you like but rest assured The Tinkerman will be at work again. Just look at yesterday and suddenly out of the blue Bennett who has been one of the consistent performers recently gets dropped to the bench and in comes Russell Martin. Just why and for the avoidance of doubt i am not a Martin hater ? An unnecessary and unjustified selection to start the game with in my eyes.[/quote]

Bennett and Klose was never going to be the first-choice centre-back pairing in the long term. Both are too immobile and struggle when having to turn back and face their goal when the ball is played in behind, which is always a possibility considering the high-line Norwich adopt when in possession.

In my opinion, it was always the case that one of our more mobile centre-backs (i.e. Martin or Bassong) was going to come into the team eventually to partner Klose.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Given the quality in depth in our squad, surely the team will be different on Tuesday.  Yes, I know, winning team and all that, but what team would you put out?  Without seeing yesterday''s match, but knowing minutes played, with Jerome flat out for the whole match, Wes''s legs, Tettey''s knees etc, could it be something like -            McGovernPinto Martin Klose Olsson       Howson Dorrans  Canos  Pitchard Jo Murphy             Oliveira

[/quote]Just spotted this.Can you maybe not see that this is the basic problem with a lot of the uninformed tripe that you spout here?

After the Birmingham performance there can be no argument about team selection yesterday.

Ruddy back in goal for me to, olsson in for brady and Pritchard for hoolahan. That''s all I''d change.

Be nice if we could start on the front foot for once

I''m with Ricardo and Chemical Bro, I think 5 goals conceded in 2 games justifies Ruddy coming back in, though McGovern''s good saves have not gone unnoticed - I just like Ruddy''s presence that touch more.

[quote user="Alex "]I''m with Ricardo and Chemical Bro, I think 5 goals conceded in 2 games justifies Ruddy coming back in, though McGovern''s good saves have not gone unnoticed - I just like Ruddy''s presence that touch more.[/quote]

How many of those goals with McGovern in goal were down to him? Can''t think of one. The goal conceded at Blackburn was a soft one where Ruddy could have done better - and we did win yesterday. With a goal keeper, I would only change if the present incumbent was making too many mistakes.

We''ve been crying out for more leadership on the pitch, with several threads on who''s going to be our driving force posted in recent weeks. I believe Alex Neil wanted to bring Russell Martin back in to be that leader, whether we think he is or not, and Bennett was the obvious one to make way. Its a shame as we all like that Bennett/Klose partnership, but with Brady now injured and Martin performing well at left back, maybe we can keep that CB pairing AND have Russ on the pitch.

We still conceded two very sloppy goals yesterday, so it seems whoever plays, we''re either not good enough, don''t want it enough, or aren''t organised well enough to win second balls and clear our lines. This is something we''ve been guilty of for about 4 years!

He may be a decent shot stopper but he does not command his area. Anything in the air in the six yard box should be his. For both goals he was rooted to his line. It''s very obvious why he was never a top line keeper.

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]We''ve been crying out for more leadership on the pitch, with several threads on who''s going to be our driving force posted in recent weeks. I believe Alex Neil wanted to bring Russell Martin back in to be that leader, whether we think he is or not, and Bennett was the obvious one to make way. Its a shame as we all like that Bennett/Klose partnership, but with Brady now injured and Martin performing well at left back, maybe we can keep that CB pairing AND have Russ on the pitch.

We still conceded two very sloppy goals yesterday, so it seems whoever plays, we''re either not good enough, don''t want it enough, or aren''t organised well enough to win second balls and clear our lines. This is something we''ve been guilty of for about 4 years![/quote]
I don''t.
Bennett and Klose are at their strongest when the ball is in front of them and at their weakest when forced to turn if the ball is played in behind. Both of them need a more mobile partner who is more comfortable dealing with a pass in behind the defence. As such, It''s got to be Klose OR Bennett partnered with Bassong OR Martin in order for the defence to be truly balanced and be able to handle all the various defensive scenarios that may arise in the course of a game. And in a straight competition between Klose and Bennett, Bennett doesn''t stand a chance.

Not see Hoolahan start because was away with Ireland and should be too much for week.

Dorrans also 45 min for u21 and may be to start 3rd game for week after missed last months is too much.

We also lack of presence in air from Cardiff corners so must be back Ruddy.

Ruddy

Pinto-----Bassong---Klose-----Martin

Tettey------- Howson

Jack Murphy Canos

Pritchard

Jerome

if Olsson is fit should start at left back and Martin will be CB despite I think Bass will do job in this lig.

I know with our squad in this league there should be a certain element of "pick our team and let the opposition worry about us" but Alex Neil and the scouting dept may have watched Wigan (currently 4th from bottom) and noticed a weakness that we can further exploit by playing a different side to that of Cardiff.

It might be that he thinks we can sacrifice an extra man in midfield i.e Dorrans and play an more attacking winger?

Lakey, Oliveira isn''t going to go from not even being on the bench to starting three days later, is he?

As for the starting 11, AN''s still folding up the names to put in the hat!

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Lakey, Oliveira isn''t going to go from not even being on the bench to starting three days later, is he?

As for the starting 11, AN''s still folding up the names to put in the hat![/quote]

Yeah, you''re right, but Oliveira isn''t injured, just "not quite up to speed".  Given Jerome played a full 90 minutes it was just a thought that  Oliveira could start, with Jerome on the bench.    More likley to be the other way round I guess.

I would think bench at best for Oliveira, think Pritchard might start ahead of Wes, would be interesting to see if we were brave enough to start both Murphy''s and leave out Dorrans, wouldn''t think Wigan will be as physical in midfield as Cardiff, who tried to out muscle the middle of the park.

Lakey,

Not sure how Alex will go on Tues tbh, guess if Brady is fit it could be this, as Im also guessing Oliviera isnt fit yet and I think Canos has a knock.

--Pinto----Bennett-----Klose--- Brady

------------Howson----Tettey--------------

Jacob---------Pritchard-------Hoolahan----

-------------------Jerome------------------------

You can''t be serious about Bassong Phillip, he is so frequently out of position nobody knows what will happen next.

Klosse and Bennett were beginning to establish a sold partnership, I know it went tits up but would still like to see it given another go with Ruddy in behind.

@RicardoNot commanding his area is a constant complaint justifiably made against Ruddy. He may have the physique to do it, but his handling is poor and his judgement poorer. For such a big man, it is amazing how he shies away from physical contact. He''s like a big dog that runs off with his tail between his legs when confronted with a yapping chihuahua.

[quote user="VanWink"]You can''t be serious about Bassong Phillip, he is so frequently out of position nobody knows what will happen next.

Klosse and Bennett were beginning to establish a sold partnership, I know it went tits up but would still like to see it given another go with Ruddy in behind.[/quote]
My point is less that Bassong should be starting and more about how the partnership of Bennett and Klose is too immobile to deal with balls played in behind the defence. Neither Bennett or Klose are quick on the turn nor are they quick across the ground. Bassong and Martin are both more mobile than Bennett and Klose and Klose is a superior defender to Bennett so Bennett is the one who makes way in my view. 
In many ways, we were lucky yesterday in that Cardiff seemes determined to knock long-balls up to Lambert and didn''t decide to try and exploit the immobility of the Bennett/Klose partnership. A side won''t always play into your hands like that.

[quote user="ricardo"]Ruddy must return in goal.[/quote]^ 100% this. McGovern maybe a decent back up goalie but he''s not by any means automatic first choice. That''s why he''s spent years in the wilderness & never commanded a transfer fee.Ruddy, despite his flaws, is better. Much better.