Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Our Fans Attitude To OUR Young Players

I''ve thought it since the start of this season and thought it was only a view shared by myself - but now AN has came out and said exactly what i''ve been thinking maybe it''s worth starting a thread about it..
Normally, your home grown players get a bit of extra support, leniency with the fans etc.
I don''t think that''s been the case at all this season. Both Josh & Jacob have been subject to moans and groans and shouts from the stands every time they''ve lost the ball, tried to beat a man and not pulled it off, etc etc. Don''t get me wrong, it''s not just the home-grown issue because it happened with Redmond too (who by the way is starting every game in a good Southampton side so those who think he wasn''t good enough for us in the Championship may want to reconsider their views..).
I just think, like AN says, these young players will give the ball away every now and again. They''ll make the odd mistake. But we should be supporting them. 
Fans moan our youth academy doesn''t produce anyone yet as soon as they get to the first team it''s as if we expect them to be seasoned experience professionals.
For what it''s worth, I think Jacob has looked completely in his element in the first team, and whilst Josh hasn''t quite hit the same heights, hopefully his quality finish yesterday will give him the confidence boost he needs.

That good Southampton side are currently in the relegation zone, haven''t noticed the youngsters getting it worse than other players, certain sections of our fans are deluded and think we should be beating every other championship team with a click of the fingers and hurl abuse at the first sight of this not happening, like I said deluded

Both Josh and Jacob struggle to protect the ball with their back to goal. Seeing as their going to be receiving the ball quite often in those kind of situations against the deep defences Norwich will play in this league it''s a skill they''re going to have to learn. They need to be able to take the ball in, hold off the defender and then either drop deep and turn with the ball or lay the ball of and spin in behind in order to make the most of their attacking potential because, as yesterday showed, if they can turn and face their defender with the ball at their feet, their pace and skill can cause defenders all sorts of problems.
They''re really no different from any young player adapting to a style of football they''ve never played before that requires them to do things that they are not really used to. I''m confident that with time and coaching their weakness can be improved to the extent that they can really show off their obvious attacking ability.  

A bit off topic but I see our under 18s beat Chelsea 5- 4 yesterday after being 3-1 down. For those facts, team & goallscorers I thank Chelsea FC Twitter account. As usual NCFC & NC FC academy Twitter accounts said f** all. And they still want season ticket holders to help fund the academy.

[quote user="morty"]Honestly haven''t noticed this.Personally I am delight at the Murphy''s emergence.[/quote]
It''s not everyone. Sections of the barclay around me certainly though. And must have been loud enough for Alex Neil to hear it!
I''m really pleased they''re getting into the first team, and on merit, of course.

It does not matter if it is footy or the workplace young or old if butters scream and shout at you it is counterproductive. The big mouths should keep them shut. Its one thing being disappointed or even thinking someone is no good but don''t scream and shout like a moron

Well it''s something I''v been commenting about for years.  How a crowd being negative can affect players and imo it applies to all players, young or old.  Now the manager has come out and said the same thing, perhaps the penny will drop.   If  the fans can be the difference by cheering and being positive, then the opposite is true too, that by getting on players backs and being negative, that can affect players too.  It''s not difficult to understand.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Well it''s something I''v been commenting about for years.  How a crowd being negative can affect players and imo it applies to all players, young or old.  Now the manager has come out and said the same thing, perhaps the penny will drop.   If  the fans can be the difference by cheering and being positive, then the opposite is true too, that by getting on players backs and being negative, that can affect players too.  It''s not difficult to understand.

[/quote]
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[:D]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]Honestly haven''t noticed this.Personally I am delight at the Murphy''s emergence.[/quote]
It''s not everyone. Sections of the barclay around me certainly though. And must have been loud enough for Alex Neil to hear it!
I''m really pleased they''re getting into the first team, and on merit, of course.
[/quote]Or maybe theres just more than the average amount of whingeing coming from the City stand that Alex is hearing?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Well it''s something I''v been commenting about for years.  How a crowd being negative can affect players and imo it applies to all players, young or old.  Now the manager has come out and said the same thing, perhaps the penny will drop.   If  the fans can be the difference by cheering and being positive, then the opposite is true too, that by getting on players backs and being negative, that can affect players too.  It''s not difficult to understand.

[/quote]You''ll never learn, will you?Rather than agree with the point the manager is making, you turn it into a bit of a lecture on how fans should behave.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"]Well it''s something I''v been commenting about for years.  How a crowd being negative can affect players and imo it applies to all players, young or old.  Now the manager has come out and said the same thing, perhaps the penny will drop.   If  the fans can be the difference by cheering and being positive, then the opposite is true too, that by getting on players backs and being negative, that can affect players too.  It''s not difficult to understand.

[/quote]You''ll never learn, will you?Rather than agree with the point the manager is making, you turn it into a bit of a lecture on how fans should behave.[/quote]

Poor Morty.

Yorkshire Canary wrote:

''''It does not matter if it is footy or the workplace young or old if butters scream and shout at you it is counterproductive. The big mouths should keep them shut. Its one thing being disappointed or even thinking someone is no good but don''t scream and shout like a moron ''''

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lake district canary wrote:

''''Well it''s something I''v been commenting about for years. How a crowd being negative can affect players and imo it applies to all players, young or old. Now the manager has come out and said the same thing, perhaps the penny will drop. If the fans can be the difference by cheering and being positive, then the opposite is true too, that by getting on players backs and being negative, that can affect players too. It''s not difficult to understand.''''

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Morty, what''s your problem with Lakey''s post? And, if there is a problem with his post, why isn''t there one with Yorkshire''s, given that they''re both pretty much echoing the exact same sentiments?

Norwich fans are great with our younger players only player i can remember they used to moan to much about was Ian Henderson

Iwan Roberts i think said in his book Henderson was in tears at half time saying way do they hate me ,

But AN that has been making some fans moan in my view with strange selections / tactics not dropping some players even out of form so fans are on edge

i think most fans love homegrown players and will love nothing more than youngster coming in ,

i hope this is genuine and not AN trying to deflect the moaning about him which i hope he does hear !

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Yorkshire Canary wrote:

''''It does not matter if it is footy or the workplace young or old if butters scream and shout at you it is counterproductive. The big mouths should keep them shut. Its one thing being disappointed or even thinking someone is no good but don''t scream and shout like a moron ''''

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lake district canary wrote:

''''Well it''s something I''v been commenting about for years. How a crowd being negative can affect players and imo it applies to all players, young or old. Now the manager has come out and said the same thing, perhaps the penny will drop. If the fans can be the difference by cheering and being positive, then the opposite is true too, that by getting on players backs and being negative, that can affect players too. It''s not difficult to understand.''''

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Morty, what''s your problem with Lakey''s post? And, if there is a problem with his post, why isn''t there one with Yorkshire''s, given that they''re both pretty much echoing the exact same sentiments?[/quote]Lakey has a track record of thinking he is somehow a superior fan, and criticising other fans. It irks me. I see the two posts as not similar at all frankly.What I am reading from his post is that he has known better than other fans for years. And these other fans clearly aren''t up to his superior intellect. "Its not difficult to understand" rounds off the patronism nicely.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Norwich fans are great with our younger players only player i can remember they used to moan to much about was Ian Henderson

Iwan Roberts i think said in his book Henderson was in tears at half time saying way do they hate me ,

But AN that has been making some fans moan in my view with strange selections / tactics not dropping some players even out of form so fans are on edge

i think most fans love homegrown players and will love nothing more than youngster coming in ,

i hope this is genuine and not AN trying to deflect the moaning about him which i hope he does hear ![/quote]Will totally agree on Henderson, he was treated terribly by fans.And agree that the grumbling has been more general frustration, than directed at particular players.

LDC wrote;

Well it''s something I''v been commenting about for years. How a crowd being negative can affect players and imo it applies to all players, young or old. Now the manager has come out and said the same thing, perhaps the penny will drop. If the fans can be the difference by cheering and being positive, then the opposite is true too, that by getting on players backs and being negative, that can affect players too. It''s not difficult to understand.

Maybe that''s why a young Snodgrass left ? on a serious note there is a small section that sit behind the home dugout, who have a lot to moan about, we do have a PUP who sits not far from there, don''t think he is one, but will I''m sure have heard it ;-)

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]LDC wrote;

Well it''s something I''v been commenting about for years. How a crowd being negative can affect players and imo it applies to all players, young or old. Now the manager has come out and said the same thing, perhaps the penny will drop. If the fans can be the difference by cheering and being positive, then the opposite is true too, that by getting on players backs and being negative, that can affect players too. It''s not difficult to understand.

Maybe that''s why a young Snodgrass left ? on a serious note there is a small section that sit behind the home dugout, who have a lot to moan about, we do have a PUP who sits not far from there, don''t think he is one, but will I''m sure have heard it ;-)[/quote][:D]

I can''t say I''ve ever really heard the Murphy''s getting any real stick and I find Neil''s comments and the timing of them a bit strange to be honest. I think there is a palpable will amongst our fan base to see the Murphy''s do well because they are home grown.

Ok a few games back there were one or two moans and groans towards the end of the game when Josh was having an absolute stinker in one of the home games and gave it away one time too many but generally I think the fans have been pretty patient with them.

Neil hauling one of them off early (after about 25 minutes wasn''t it?) in one of the pre-season friendlies hardly likely to have done wonders for his confidence either.

I also didn''t notice any booing at the Murphys pair. Prehaps there was booing behind AN aimed at him, afterall he''s still unable to play players in their strongest position, ie Howson in the middle and not on the wing.Beginning to lose faith in AN team selection, Ryan Bennett on the bench, Why?

Seems to be a general consensus that the Murphys aren''t being singled out, and the grumbling was more of the general variety. Because we didn''t buy another striker.

Morty wrote:

''''Lakey has a track record of thinking he is somehow a superior fan, and criticising other fans. It irks me. I see the two posts as not similar at all frankly.

What I am reading from his post is that he has known better than other fans for years. And these other fans clearly aren''t up to his superior intellect. "Its not difficult to understand" rounds off the patronism nicely.''''

Yorkshire''s post;

''the big mouths should keep them shut''

''Its one thing being disappointed or even thinking someone is no good but don''t scream and shout like a moron''

Yet you flag up Lakey for saying ''it''s not difficult to understand''. Completely playing the poster and not the post then...

The thing is you don''t even disagree with any of what Lakey has said, do you? Regardless of whether the post was patronizing or not (it wasn''t), why on Earth WOULDN''T such fans deserve to be talked to in such a way? For booing our own players and creating a negative atmosphere for the team they''re supposed to support.. Come on..

[quote user="dibbler"]I also didn''t notice any booing at the Murphys pair. Prehaps there was booing behind AN aimed at him, afterall he''s still unable to play players in their strongest position, ie Howson in the middle and not on the wing.Beginning to lose faith in AN team selection, Ryan Bennett on the bench, Why?[/quote]

To accommodate Martin.

He needs to resolve the Howson situation. I know that Martin is crediting Howson with the goal from Saturday but he''s not influencing games at this level in the way he should be. He was our best player for quite a chunk of last season when he settled into a central midfield role and I thought he would carry it on into this season make far more of an impact that he has done so far. Strangely it was during the period when Tettey was out last season that Howson really came into his own.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Morty wrote:

''''Lakey has a track record of thinking he is somehow a superior fan, and criticising other fans. It irks me. I see the two posts as not similar at all frankly.

What I am reading from his post is that he has known better than other fans for years. And these other fans clearly aren''t up to his superior intellect. "Its not difficult to understand" rounds off the patronism nicely.''''

Yorkshire''s post;

''the big mouths should keep them shut''

''Its one thing being disappointed or even thinking someone is no good but don''t scream and shout like a moron''

Yet you flag up Lakey for saying ''it''s not difficult to understand''. Completely playing the poster and not the post then...

The thing is you don''t even disagree with any of what Lakey has said, do you? Regardless of whether the post was patronizing or not (it wasn''t), why on Earth WOULDN''T such fans deserve to be talked to in such a way? For booing our own players and creating a negative atmosphere for the team they''re supposed to support.. Come on..[/quote]Cheers for the lecture, lot of it about today....