Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Dorrans

Just think we actually look like we can keep the ball for more than 3 passes with him in the side, even though it was a bit of a lacklustre performance.
I don''t like Howson being that far out on the right - he''s better in the middle of the park for me but thought Dorrans deserved a mention as he also broke up play quite a bit - and like I say, distributed it sensibly.

Good player. No idea why he isn''t overly popular with the crowd. Gets stuck in and can play, what more do you want?

Agree, he was one of my players of the match. Used the ball very well. I think even Tettey could be given a day off every so often and Howson and Dorrans in the middle.

Totally agree, we had more control of the midfield with Dorrans in there. Underrated player.

[quote user="GJP"]Good player. No idea why he isn''t overly popular with the crowd. Gets stuck in and can play, what more do you want?[/quote]
No idea about the crowd in general but when the team was announced social media was strife with "What does AN see with Dorrans?" "How can we win with Dorrans in the side" etc etc.
Like you say, it''s probably his ability to win a ball / run with it / play that AN see''s in him...His number 4 suggests now he''s over his injury he''ll be a regular.

I like him but he''s best in the same place where Howson is best so it''s hard to choose. I could see him in a midfield 3 to be fair with him the focal point and howson getting forward more while Tettey sheilds but then that would require 2 out and out wingers really.

A fair question, can our best XI host Dorrans, Howson AND Tettey? I''m not convinced. I always think Howson is wasted out wide but then you can''t play him and Dorrans as well as Tettey in the middle. Good questions for AN to have to answer though!

It''s good to have the option though, and we''re going to need it in some matches. Wes, great as he still is, isn''t going to have the legs to play every game this season and there are some teams who will set up specifically to keep him out of the game - Maybe that''s the time to unleash the Murphys and/or Canos on the wings and let Howson push on from deeper with Tettey breaking up play and Dorrans creating options in the middle.

Wes is 34 now? I''m guessing that playing 46 games may be a bit too much.

However, giving the money invested, surely Pritchard has been brought in to be his successor?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I think you can play all 3 but not wes as well. Howson is best behind the striker and he has hardly ever been played there due to the need to play wes[/quote]

No can''t agree, Howson is not best behind the striker. Has been tried there and never looked comfortable. His most effective position has been as a box to box midfielder. Good engine, will get up and down all game, solid in a tackle but got a good finish on him.

Dorrans was excellent today and as said, a good problem to have as it''s hard to pick 2 out of the 3 to play as the central pair.

I was critical of Dorrans''s selection but to be fair it was a composed performance and he controlled the centre the way O''Neil was capable of (still missing his influence, I think)

So yeah, hands up and I will have a slice of humble pie.

I am in the only 2 of the 3 of dorrans tettey and howson camp. I don''t think any of them is head and shoulders above the others as an overall player

All good footballers but remain unconvinced that they provide enough energy or pace as a triumvirate and end up making us a dull side.

If we can find a way to accommodate them and increase our goal threat then great,. If not one should be sacrificed, dependent on form. My view is that the side with just dorrans and howson is likely to be the least successful base of the three combinations.

A quandary but for me dorrans did add something missing from the last couple of games so should start again come Tuesday.

Tettey at his best is undroppable imo.  Howson at hs best is undroppable. If Dorrans wants to be a regular he has to be at his best too - and then he will make himself undroppable. It''s a great dilemna for the manager, but having all three in the team at the same time is hard to imagine when you ahve all the creative players to fit in too.  It''s all a question of balance, but I have always liked Dorrans as a player and at his best - which is the key thing - he is every bit as effective as tettey and Howson.

And when do we drop tettey and howson when not playing at their best,. As they have not been yet this season.

[quote user="ZLF"]And when do we drop tettey and howson when not playing at their best,. As they have not been yet this season.[/quote][url]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3407703/ShowPost.aspx[/url] [:|]

Good professional and team player. Probably the best all round midfielder we have. Covers the ground, box to box, has a bit of steel, and the best range of passing in the side. Hoping that from today he adds more goals as he can be a threat. Very pleased for him today.

Not a great fan of Dorrans but had a good game today. I was going to put Forest down for a 2-1 win today but changed it to 2-1 to Norwich when I remembered Tettey was out. Our midfield always seem to keep hold of and pass the ball better when he''s not in the team.

I would actually question if we need a defensive Tettey in the Championship. Howson/Dorrans far from lightweight and look more comfortable on the ball. Certainly more mobility. Tettey is not a great passer and rarely gets forward. Did not seem to be missed today. As an aside, Newcastle today looked very vulnerable to pace.

Big fan of Dorrans but it''s always a case of can we him and Tettey and Howson in the same team and still have enough cutting edge up front.

Wasn''t the issue yesterday with Tettey being out but I just think you''ve got to try and accomodate your best players into the team as much as possible, and in my opinions Dorrans'' is one of them when he''s in form.

Great finish, nice technique. Thought he played well against Wigan too tbh and think he''ll get a good run in the team now