Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Ricky scoring goals again

Okay, I''ll bite...This club wastes a lot of money and makes poor decisions - such is the state of the modern game we''re hardly alone.£250,000 per week for Pogba [:(]

NEXT!!!

Sometimes that is the way, just like some players only seem to score for one club.

Look at Holt for example, outside of his seasons with us, he could hardly be called prolific at a high level and his career had led him to all sorts of clubs. He''s failed to reproduce it since, although best of luck to him for this season.

Cureton is another who had two bites of the cherry and despite his goalscoring form prior to his return, he also couldn''t replicate here.

I do wonder how much a lot of a players form is related to the surroundings they are in at the time. I mean some players seem to be able to do it anywhere, but look at the likes of Diego Forlan, struggled at Man Utd, just as Fernando Torres seems to have done well anywhere but Chelsea.

Taken off after an hour today have drawn a familiar blank.

He a worthwhile gamble with a decent reputation that simply didn''t work out for us or him. That chapter is over and we have a new exciting challenge ahead that we should focus on

The thing for me is, I''m just happy to see him finding goals again. There is no NEXT or no chapter is over when it comes to Ricky for me. I really hope he  re-discovers those goal scoring boots that bought him to Norwich. And he is doing that. I certainly don''t want him back, but I will always feel that we got it wrong somehow with accommodating him.

[quote user="chicken"]Sometimes that is the way, just like some players only seem to score for one club.

Look at Holt for example, outside of his seasons with us, he could hardly be called prolific at a high level and his career had led him to all sorts of clubs. He''s failed to reproduce it since, although best of luck to him for this season.

Cureton is another who had two bites of the cherry and despite his goalscoring form prior to his return, he also couldn''t replicate here.

I do wonder how much a lot of a players form is related to the surroundings they are in at the time. I mean some players seem to be able to do it anywhere, but look at the likes of Diego Forlan, struggled at Man Utd, just as Fernando Torres seems to have done well anywhere but Chelsea.[/quote]

100% agree with chicken sometimes it fits like a glove sometimes it''s like sticking your knob in a cheese grater sadly Ricky and us were the grater

Worth remebering that UEFA currently rank the Eredivisie as the 13th strongest league in Europe. That is a damning indictment of the quality of the league which Van Wolfswinkel is now plying his trade in.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Couldn''t do it for his loan sides in Spain and France either, for the record.[/quote]His loans were a way for him to find his confidence - and it plainly wasn''t easy for him to do that, given the other strikers already at those clubs and that he often started as a sub.  So as a support striker at those two clubs with limited chances, look at his goal record in all matches over the two years and you see that with many appearances being from the bench, he scored 12 goals in 59 matches.  Not great, but not a complete failure, by any means. 

God, not Ricky again. He was awful for us. An over-hyped and over priced disastrous transfer.Good luck to him in Holland but it''s time to move on and stop pretending he would ever have made a go of it here.

[quote user="Herman "]God, not Ricky again. He was awful for us. An over-hyped and over priced disastrous transfer.Good luck to him in Holland but it''s time to move on and stop pretending he would ever have made a go of it here.[/quote]Don''t think anyone is pretending he would have made a go of it here anymore. It''s just interest in an ex-player. 

4 goals now. The same as the one we were interested in signing in January, Sébastien Haller...

I don''t understand how this can be happening as both Canary Call and here, well they told me that the lack of confidence theory was absolute nonsense and that Delia had bought a complete turkey who rose through the ranks in a billion pound industry by complete and utter accident!

Joking apart, it''s such a shame we never got the best out of him, but good luck to him now 👍

he is not the first player who scored for fun in the dutch league but couldn''t do it in England and he will not be the last

for every suarez you get 10 rickys

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]I just feel that he lost a lot of confidence whilst with us. A nice guy, and I wish him all the best for the future.[/quote]

I think that''s what happened too, Swindon.

Good for him.

While there might be some better technical players and some really good young raw players with potential in the Eredivisie the style of defending and the space and time you get as an attacker is completely different to the Championship, which is a much harder league to play and succeed in than the Eredivisie.

He got plenty of chances to succeed here but he just wasn''t good enough. In some cases a poacher type forward can work leading the line of a more defensive minded team. Look at ''Boro this year with Negredo.

But I suppose that shows you need a real top class type of poacher for that to work. There just isn''t a place for middle of the road ''finishers'' who''s finishing isn''t all that reliable in the upper reaches of English football anymore.

The closest player in terms of playing style and ability I can think of to RVW playing in England is Le Fondre and he isn''t even a regular for Wigan!

I''m happy he''s scoring again but I''m definitely not going to worry myself over what might have been...

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]I suppose that shows you need a real top class type of poacher for that to work. There just isn''t a place for middle of the road ''finishers'' who''s finishing isn''t all that reliable in the upper reaches of English football anymore.[/quote]No, it shows that if you give said poacher decent supply and actually make them feel part of the team, then they''ll do well.Treat them like a target man, give them no supply and basically ignore them and you get nothing...

Literally couldn''t give a flying fig about RvW.

He was terrible for us. He''s had to drop down to a pretty poor standard of football to start finding goals.

Whereas the guy some people blame for RvW''s terrible performances, Snodgrass, has scored 4 goals this season despite not being a striker and 3 of those in arguably the best league in world football.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]I just feel that he lost a lot of confidence whilst with us. A nice guy, and I wish him all the best for the future.[/quote]

If confidence was the problem then that should have been solved when he scored five or six goals quite early on (October/November) in his season in France. And he gave an interview at that time saying how much he was enjoying his football again and how happy he was at St-Etienne. Instead he stopped scoring and ended up as an unused sub.

The truth is, not matter how adorable, he is simply not good enough for one of the top five European leagues. Three attempts at making it in three of those leagues (including arguably the weakest of the five) under three different managers and three failures.

Good for him, seemed a nice lad just didn''t work out for him here. Glad he''s off our wage book!

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Let''s put this in context - Dirk Kuyt was the leading scorer in the division last season and his record over here wasn''t overly brilliant.[/quote]Really?So in 50% of his 6 seasons at Liverpool he managed 12+ league goals (with 9 in one of the other 3) whilst playing almost always from the wing and that''s not ''overly brilliant''...I''d hate to see what your view on players like Redmond was then if you think 12+ goals a season is a bit $hit...