Sign in to follow this  
unique

Nelson Oliveira

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="Alex "]Rogue Baboon wrote ''On the basis that he has played for Benfica & Portugal, if that is so important when signing a player, why sell RvW, who had played for Lisbon/Holland?''

Because generally only good players play more than once for their national team, and leading domestic clubs in their respective countries? No disrespect but I think it''s fairly obvious we aren''t going to stop trying to sign the highest calibre players we can just because van Wolfswinkel was a failure.[/quote]

My point had nothing to do with buying RvW, more selling him, then signing a striker and justifying the signing because he had played for his national team and a top team. As we have learnt with RvW, it isn''t an indicator of a good player, as in your own words he was a failure[/quote]

So what your basically saying is that Alex Neil should not have mentioned that he''s been an international player as it means nothing? Dont really understand why just because he sold a player that was signed by a different manager and that played for Holland ONCE, he can''t big up his own signing who''s played for his country no less than FIFTEEN times minimum? There''s quite a discrepancy in international caps there to be fair...[/quote]

So he has played more internationals, but he''s played only once in 3 years for Portugal. Its hardly a big selling point, and as my original point stated, it sounds a bit desperate to big him up over that point

Ok, so what your saying is you''re trying to beat Alex Neil with a stick because he mentioned Oliveira has played international football? To be honest, I think you''re making a bit too much out of quite a standard sort of factual footballing comment from our manager...

Basically, he is this guy

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2203460/Chelsea-Manchester-City-tracking-24m-Nelson-Oliveira.html[/url]

I love this, so you''re unhappy because we''ve possibly signed a player who''s played 15 times for what are the European champions but you rather we signed a 30 year old who''s played 13 times for Scotland!

I really don''t understand some of our supporters, I''m happy that we''ve got a young all round striker in his prime for a fraction of the money we would have paid for McCormack.

I was firmly in the signing McCormack camp, but happy enough if we get this guy + another; he has a decent enough pedigree, and if it means Brady/Olsson stopping with us that''s all the better.

[quote user="Indy"]I love this, so you''re unhappy because we''ve possibly signed a player who''s played 15 times for what are the European champions but you rather we signed a 30 year old who''s played 13 times for Scotland!

I really don''t understand some of our supporters, I''m happy that we''ve got a young all round striker in his prime for a fraction of the money we would have paid for McCormack.[/quote]

If this was meant for me, I never mentioned McCormack, although I would question if a 26 yo striker who scored 9 goals last year really counts as a young all round striker in his prime?

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]Basically, he is this guy

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2203460/Chelsea-Manchester-City-tracking-24m-Nelson-Oliveira.html[/url][/quote]I don''t think Oliveira would be a bad signing - but just to play devils advocate here;http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/7236208/united-tracking-van-wolfswinkel

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="Indy"]I love this, so you''re unhappy because we''ve possibly signed a player who''s played 15 times for what are the European champions but you rather we signed a 30 year old who''s played 13 times for Scotland!

I really don''t understand some of our supporters, I''m happy that we''ve got a young all round striker in his prime for a fraction of the money we would have paid for McCormack.[/quote]

If this was meant for me, I never mentioned McCormack, although I would question if a 26 yo striker who scored 9 goals last year really counts as a young all round striker in his prime?[/quote]

He''s only just turned 25, and I''d say that''s young & coming into his prime!

But no it wasn''t aimed directly at you but in a round about way, why are we complaining as we are working to a budget and we can only sign players who want to play here......great signing IMO.

It''s a fair point that the past does not predict the future, but the past in this case is in the league we''re now playing in, with a team that was struggling and playing very defensively. People were bigging up McCormack because he''d scored 21 goals in this same league, but in spite of that Fulham struggled and were almost relegated. It isn''t just about individual statistics, but rather about what that player brought to the team as a whole. This, IMO, is what AN is also stressing with Oliveira. The proof, as always, will only be revealed once he starts playing, but I think he will deliver.

Jeez!....let''s not overplay the ''played for the European Champions'' card....

He''s played once for Portugal in the past 3 years.

The scepticism coming from some supporters is born by how we have ended up with Oliveira. Of the many dozens of strikers suggested by posters on this site this past few months, I can''t imagine Oliveira was amongst them.

The biggest frustration is the impression that the club has been working down a long list of strikers and are ending up a last minute panic buy.

Since hitting the jackpot with Holt nigh on seven years ago, Norwich have an appalling record on buying strikers, with one decent Championship season from Jerome being the one and only highlight.

This period has been littered with the likes of Morison, Vaughan, Becchio, Lafferty and, worst of all, RVW.

The one advantage for Oliveira is that going by recent years, the striker bar isn''t set very high.......

I think we''ve probably signed the best striker of all our linked rumours to be honest, surely the most technically proficient who''s best years are approaching - have Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man City and Chelsea ever kept tabs on McCormack, Rhodes and Wells? - I wouldn''t have thought so 😉

Unique,

How do you know how far down the list Oliveira was, and if he was one of our last choices? Are there others that were right up there but may not be available till the last day or so of the window? Was McCormack our number 1 choice or was he just available when other targets weren''t?

None of us will ever know, but I''m personally happier with the (hopefully) signing of Oliveira than McCormack et al and I genuinely mean that 👍

Agree Alex, we don''t know where he was on our list, I''m pretty happy having seen so many positive comments from Forest fans, this could be inspired, and still a chance for another.

Stay calm and support your club.

[quote user="Indy"]I love this, so you''re unhappy because we''ve possibly signed a player who''s played 15 times for what are the European champions but you rather we signed a 30 year old who''s played 13 times for Scotland!

I really don''t understand some of our supporters, I''m happy that we''ve got a young all round striker in his prime for a fraction of the money we would have paid for McCormack.[/quote]The reason he''s a fraction of the cost of McCormack is he will score a fraction of the goals McCormack gets . Newcastle and Villa have goalscorers in their squads and are still looking for more , we have Jerome and Oliviera , its worrying .

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Agree Alex, we don''t know where he was on our list, I''m pretty happy having seen so many positive comments from Forest fans, this could be inspired, and still a chance for another.

Stay calm and support your club.[/quote]

...and your new signings 😉👍

And I agree mate, you only have to look at the Forest boards for a recent assessment of how he''s developing. It speaks volumes and should fill everyone but the most hardcore nappy crapper with optimism that we might just have signed a killer player here (who I reckon will suit our style of play down to a t).

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Nobody knows if he will be a hit or miss

until he plays for us

i am little worried that he has not scored many for other clubs

but then RVW was scoring plenty before he got here

so you can never judge from the past its what he does here

i hope he does well and we are a good fit , after all its how many goals he scores for us not forest etc[/quote]

I feel the same, another example is Holty, I dont think too many people were jumping through hoops when he first signed, was hardly prolific before he came but look how that turned out. The good thing is he HAS scored goals at his level in a bang average Forest team, he''s in his prime at 25 and surely will be motivated as seeing this as his big chance to reach the Prem promised land. Fingers crossed :)

Just had a good read of the long post about him on the main Forrest forum. Overall he seemed a very popular player, with many considering him their best player over the course of last season.

The key phrases that came up were hardworking, technically good and not affraid to take a shot. To further that last point they said he appear to like to place shots with power rather than hit and hope.

If opposition fans think that much of him and wanted him back then surely we have to be fairly happy with that!?

I''d agree with that Alex. IMO, McCormack is more of a striker/AM rather than a player capable of the lone striker role. The fact that we then moved quickly for Pritchard suggests that as well. Oliveira is much more the lone striker type with the physicality and goal-scoring ablity to go along with that.

Exactly Birchfest, I honestly don''t know how anyone could not see the positives in a thread like that from many many hardcore Forest fans. Still, to be fair, I think the vast majority of City supporters are either happy or very happy with this (hopefully signed 😉) player, so that''s good 👍

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I''d agree with that Alex. IMO, McCormack is more of a striker/AM rather than a player capable of the lone striker role. The fact that we then moved quickly for Pritchard suggests that as well. Oliveira is much more the lone striker type with the physicality and goal-scoring ablity to go along with that.[/quote]

👍

And I still think we have another forward to come before deadline day too, but we''ll see - regardless, I think the quality of player that AN''s brought in since the turn of the year has been overall extremely good and he should be commended for that.

This is all a bit silly. Nobody knows how this will work out, sometimes a player clicks with a club and sometimes even the best have a bad spell. All we can do is identify the type of player we want to suit our managers preferred style of play, within our budget.

We have done that and AN is happy with how it''s turned out. From what we can see of him and what the Forrest supporters think, we have made a good choice. There''s always risks but finding out is the fun of the game.

I''m happy we have someone Neil wants through the door and looking forward to seeing him in the yellow.

Yes he may not have banged the goals in at the top level but he showed he can score then last season and €7m for a 25 portugal international striker seems like a bargain.

Another good option added to our ranks in an area we desperately needed and we didn''t get held to ransom and risk our financial future by paying £15m and £45k a week for a 30 year old that has never played at the highest level. If you look at our terrific midfield, we seem to have enough goals around the side to get by this season even if they don''t come from just the strikers. Would many people have turned their noses up at Cantona in his prime? He was never a prolific scorer. Hopefully we have another striker on the way before next week as well and we have great competition then.

The Holty analogy is interesting - he also played for Forest, their fans loved him, yet he was moved on by (I think) Calderwood. If this guy is half as good for us, we''ll all be very happy.

[quote user="Alex "]you only have to look at the Forest boards for a recent assessment of how he''s developing. It speaks volumes and should fill everyone but the most hardcore nappy crapper with optimism that we might just have signed a killer player here (who I reckon will suit our style of play down to a t).[/quote]Just had a look over there Alex and was pleased to read this......."I would absolutely love Nelson back, I thought he was a fantastic player

and definitely one of my favourites for a long while. He has excellent

technical ability and is a hard worker - I think he would bag loads with

the attacking football we are playing.The dream Championship partnership is him & Assombalonga upfront. I

think Nelson playing in a deeper strikers role would work a charm, they

would both create space for each other."
I couldn''t happen........could it?

I think this deal has some really exciting potential.

Not the most prolific, but certainly suits our current style and has a decent pedigree.

I, of course, had never heard of him until he was linked. It''s got a wonderful ''Wolf v Holt'' thing brewing too.

Who knows Lapps?! I wouldn''t take it as gospel that we''re not after Assombalonga just because Michael Bailey has said so, or even anyone else who''s been ''ruled out'' - that''s not because I think Alex Neil is a liar, it''s because he has to play poker face in the many situations that he feels will help the club, it''s part of the job after all as I''m sure you''d agree buddy. So regarding Assombalonga we shall see but I''d be very surprised, I think the next striker will almost certainly be a loan player rather than a permanent - it''s not just about what''s available in terms of transfer budget, I think AN will be thinking ''if we can get promoted this season then I want free space for quality permanent incomings'' (which is one of many reasons I was quite happy to see the McCormack thing go tits up!). What the Nottingham Forest fans have to say is extremely encouraging, and I like the ability I see in the videos - you can see he''s a ''proper'' footballer 👍

I actually don''t care how many goals he scores - only interested in how many goals the team scores. Points get you promoted not any individual goal record. Fulham had McCormack last season and look at where they finished.

We have goalscorers throughout the midfield.. so if Jerome, Oliveira and whoever gets 10 goals each.. but we finish top 2 then what is the problem??