Sign in to follow this  
unique

Nelson Oliveira

Really hope this signing happens, permanently to,   a first for Alex. Im not underwhelmed like  some seem to be, in fact i find it strange anyone can be, considering hes never played for us yet, but if he has 16 caps for Portugals senior side then he must have some  decent attributes.He  can speak decent enough english, so looking forward to hearing his first interview as a  Canary.

Fingers crossed for this one, be fantastic if permanent. Anyone who''s complaining about this - you''re definitely supporting or following the wrong team, but I do agree, it''s ridiculous how we missed out on signing Zlatan earlier in the window. 1 in 3 in the Champs last year for a team that respectfully aren''t where we''re at currently in terms of creative ability and flair, 15 - 20 odd appearances for the Portugal national team - pull this one off and I''ll be very very impressed 👍

Now just wait for Alex Neil to assign him the #16 shirt and bring about the collapse of civilisation as we know it.

Walking man/Old Robert you are right, I am certainly no maths genius. As with 30 goals in 173 appearances he is actually closer to a goal every 6 games. Prolific stuff!! 9 in 29? Hmmm, maybe back to school boys for all of us, hey Rob?

9 in 29 referring to his previous Championship spell with Forest, clearly the best comparison from his career so far.

You should cheer up a bit Keith. It''s good for the soul.

Not unhappy with this, provided we don''t overpay -Transfermarkt has his value at the £2 to £3m mark. He seems to have spent his whole senior career on loan from Benfica since 2010 - not really sure what to read into that.

But he does seem to fit the having "played and scored in the Championship" criteria and his strike rate at Forest should yield 14.275 goals over a full season (just for you Keith), which isn''t too shabby.

And, presumably, there''s still loads left in the kitty for another?😉

It still amazes me that some are not happy with a guy who is 25 and played 16 times for the European champions, played in top leagues including the Premiership yet would have wet their pants on a perennial Championship 30 year old with no real top league record!

Who''s not to say if he had played 4 seasons in the Championship he''d be on par with McCormack?

Still time will tell if he signs and plays.

Just been reading some of the sixty odd comments on the pink un home page re ths story - what a bunch of miserable morons! - can hear the booing from here

Despite some underwhelming career stats quietly optimistic about this having read the thoughts of Forest fans about this player on their messageboards. Basically all would have been happy to have him back and think he is decent and would score more than he did for them if played in a better attacking team.

Also, whilst if Julian Brellier taught us anything its to beware youtube compilations of impending signings, the one thing I can''t help but notice from his Forest goals and highlights from last season is that he likes to put his foot through the ball and have a pop from the edge of out outside the box. Players prepared to do this regularly is perhaps something we are lacking and have been lacking since the departure of Bradders.

Hare go for those looking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V08h58UH2CE

As I''ve said above subject to the Brellier caveat.

For those hoping for two strikers interesting to note the spin coming out of the club this morning about how Morris was the "best player on the pitch" against Boro U23s!

Looks to be a decent player. One more like Rhodes as well and there will be no excuses for not being right up there at the end of the season.

Tread about him the more you feel something strange has happened to his career and that this could be a real bargain if he can settle and find some continuity with us. Was being linked with very big money moves to large clubs not that long ago and anyone who plays for the Portuguese national side is no mug.

I''ll welcome him with open arms he''s a striker and he''s scored some goals happy with that! The genuine confusion from some that we haven''t signed Lionel messi amuses me.

Ta for the video link Jim. Looks good to me, seems to have the physicality needed for the Champs. Scores with both feet? Only one header there I think.

I do just get the feeling he''s, how can I put it, not very nice (on the pitch) he has the look of a Cantona about him. Let''s hope he performs like him!

Just took a look at the Forrest forum as I know nothing about him. they seem to really rate him, infact on the thread I saw I couldn''t see many posts that said anything bad. From the comments they seems to think he''s hard working with strong technique, who would score a lot of goals in an attacking team.

Just some food for thought.

Last season Oliveira scored 9 goals in 2071 minutes of football. That is a goal every 230 minutes roughly. Rhodes scored 16 goals in 3341 minutes. That is a roughly every 209 minutes.

Given that Rhodes brings very little to the party in terms of linkup play and is solely about his goals, is Oliveira that much of a disaster potentially? Particularly, as he''s played in England already so there shouldn''t be an acclimatisation period.

I''m not saying the guy will absolutely destroy the division this season but surely he warrants people not totally writing him off before he''s even kicked a ball, purely because he won''t have cost 10m plus or have scored 20 goals at this level before.

The reality is that was always going to be very difficult to sign a top goal scorer from a rival championship club. So we were always going to need to be a bit creative and think outside the box. Either a player from League 1/2, a youngster/fringe player from the Premier League or a signing from abroad.

Finally, it looks like we''re getting a new striker. The lad looks quick, strong, a handful for defenders, seems to have a nice first touch, likes to have a pop from distance, as well as getting in the six yard box to tap them in. With the Forrest fans, who have seen more than just a couple of youtube clips, speaking highly of him I am optimistic that he can do a job. Certainly looks like he could have 15+ goals in him this year, which with a similar return from CamJam and 40 odd from the rest of the squad would see us pushing for the top two. Just a shame that it''s a loan move and not permanent, because if he has a storming season and scores 30 there''s the chance we might not get the financial reward we deserve for giving him an opportunity. I suppose that this could be the ghost of RVW putting the willies into the board though, with them thinking it''s easier to cut our losses if he turns out to be a flop.

"The genuine confusion from some that we haven''t signed Lionel messi amuses me."

That''s a silly thing to say and defies comment.

What we had become attuned to was bids/interest in £10-12m+ payments for the likes of McCormack, Wells and Rhodes. These seem to have been the main runners throughout the Summer.

Proven goalscorers at the Championship level who would have been a major (some might say guaranteed) step in our bid for a quick return.

As it is we have gone in for a far less well-known player who initially seemed a bit of an underwhelming choice.

Most, like me, having found out more about him seem satisfied that this is a good move and that he seems a good fit.

At least we now have one decent alternative to Jerome.

Let''s hope Nelson Oliveira kick-starts his career at Carrow Road in the same way that Grant Holt once did.

I''m quite excited about this player, but wouldn''t say no to another big hitter.

Throw in Mbokani and I would be more than happy.

Some of the Portugese press saying that it''s a permanent deal, not a loan. (Ojogo amongst others). No idea which are reliable though.

Personally I''m very pleased with this so fingers crossed no unforeseen last minute hitches.

Main plus for me is that he fits exactly our style of play and is far more suited to us than McCormack for instance. Looks like the guy can hold up the ball, decent touch to bring others into the game, puts himself around and is mobile enough with reasonable pace. Goal scoring is steady at this level. Similar to Jerome I would suggest.

Not sure we will see any further additions up front personally. Last season we pretty much went with one up front, choosing between Jerome and Mbokani, and were prepared to let other third choice strikers leave. We will see

Broadstairs wrote;(excerpt)

Let''s hope Nelson Oliveira kick-starts his career at Carrow Road in the same way that Grant Holt once did.

I''m quite excited about this player, but wouldn''t say no to another big hitter.

Throw in Mbokani and I would be more than happy.

Would make my day if both were announced today, fingers crossed.

The more I have read about Oliveira the more I warm to the idea of him signing for Norwich. I saw the EDP story this morning so with a sense of anticipation I clicked onto the Pinkun website expecting more information on the supposed loan/transfer and was surprised and not a little pizzed off that the Pinkun''s decided to headline a story about a striker we failed to land with "No regrets for Ross McCormack over his Norwich City snub". What a negative start to the day ! Thanks Archant

Seems to be unclear as to whether it is a loan or permanent, or initial loan with view to permanent (assuming it''s based on us getting promoted again).

I think this wouldn''t be a bad deal for us by any means. 9 in 29 for a pretty average Forrest side is not a bad return, and if he was presented with more chances carved out by Wes, Brady, Naismith, Maddison, Canos, Murphy''s etc., then I can certainly see him scoring more. Sounds hardworking and good technically which is what we need in our side.

In fairness, we keep talking about a good goalscorer, but there are plenty of those behind the striker in this team as well, so a huge goal ratio isn''t necessarily the most important thing.

Anyway, not getting too carried away until anything is officially announced.

Get him signed today and he should be fit and up to speed ready to play by the middle of October. [:D]

The bloke is technically very very good. He has regularly played for Portugal at all levels. He has only just turned 25 in the last 2 or so weeks and his best years are to come - we would not be buying/loaning a finished product. If he was scoring 40 goals a season between 19 and 23 years old he wouldn''t be joining any team in the Championship. His game is maturing and his most recent football was last season with Nottingham Forest scoring approx 1 in 3 in a team that were fairly defensive.

For reasons that shouldn''t really have to be spelt out, we should be nothing but very hopeful if he signs 👍

Didn''t have the best of times with Swansea but he was a couple of years younger and to be fair out of those 10 appearances I think he only made 4 starts. I''m sure he''s grown as a player. Regardless, 99% of Forest fans love him, rave about him infact, think he could be ''the best player in the championship'', and I saw it repeatedly mentioned by some of their fans that they think he''s a 20 goals + a season man in a more offensive outfit (which is definitely us in our 3rd shirts 😉). Was never excited about McCormack whatsoever, Wells looked decent but a bit ''Championship'', Rhodes still a good age - however, Oliveira comfortably has the superior technical ability of the lot from what I can see, and the more quality skilful players we have the better as far as I''m concerned - if we want to thrive in the Premier League again, that''s really what we need to be signing 👍