Sign in to follow this  
unique

Nelson Oliveira

He seems to be a ''thoughtful'' finisher- that is, he has an understand of how to contact the ball properly to make it go where he wants it.

Sounds straightforward, but it''s surprising if you look closely how many forwards build a career on getting the ball on target enough times- Wells and Rhodes seem that way to me, and even Cam Jerome isn''t exceptionally technically blessed.

I''d be quietly optimistic having this guy around. Would stlill want another, mind.

[quote user="AJ"]We can probably put this in the same basket as "loan deal agreed for N''Doye" and "Norwich in talks with Rhodes" or "McCormak to sign for Norwich this week"

I''ll be waiting until we actually announcing something as I''ve given up with everything else![/quote]I believe there was never any reports anywhere saying N''Doye loan agreed or Rhodes in talks with City, but i do agree with you AJ that until the club themselves officially say something about Oliveira,  then really its neither here or there.What does give this some "interest" is that Graeme Bailey  seems to be the guy who broke this news, and hes stated some stuff thats more than just a gossipy  rumour maybe. The guy being in Norwich, looking at the facilities, a loan agreed, potential end of season signing or even sooner, that seems to suggest more than just an interest.Anyway, i agree with Bethnal, Oliveira could be a very very useful addition upfront, he has  a decent amount of caps for the Portugal first team, hoping theres truth in this report. Its certainly Portuguese weather for him in the City right now, and he has Ivo here to to help him feel at home.

Don''t get too obsessed with past stats ... good or dubious.

Who knows how well he''ll click with the system and supporting players here.

If AN thinks he can contribute then I''m in.

I wouldn''t get my hopes up...I am not getting my hopes up... the plot is thickening and we''ll know by midnight on the 31st...that we have signed a complete *** on loan...

My initial reaction was a feeling of being underwhelmed by this. On reflection he could do a job as back up/competition to Jerome as target man. As others have said though if this is the only striker coming in it will be a hard season probably ending in disappointment. If he is one of a pair and the other has a more prolific track record then we may kick on nicely

Are we expecting a first choice striker or a back up for Jerome or both?

We probably need someone on the same level who will challenge him for a place. A loan, this late in the day is a good idea.

KK wrote;

N''Doye is better than Oliveira.

Based on what ? I would suggest 9 goals in 27 starts is a reasonable return in the champs (with a very poor NFFC last season) if you want a 1 in 2 return then we need to sign Ronaldo !!

Forest fans speak well of him on their messageboard - 31 pages about him To save you trawling through it all - here are a few comments that may give you an idea what he is about:

Oh he''s not the same

type of striker as Britt, he''s not a pure Predator - I think he''s better than

that. He''s more of an all round striker who can contribute far more than just

goals, but given enough chances and he clearly has the talent to bury them.

I don''t take too much

from his previous record as he barely played for Swansea and when he did it was

often as a sub in stoppage time. Prior to that well who knows, though his

record for Rennes was alright.

I''ve never bought the

idea that he isn''t a goal scorer, or at least can''t be, we''ve just not created

that many chances for him and if we do, I believe he can score plenty. Not as

many as a poacher like Britt but he doesn''t have to be Britt or Jordan Rhodes -

he has enough to his own game that can offer us a lot.

Interestingly, he''s

only scored two less goals than Jordan Rhodes so far this season.

He has a lot of talent

and hopefully he can continue to build on it. If it is Freedman who is

responsible for bringing it out of him then we''ll done to him to.

Would try and do

almost whatever we can to convince him to join the club on a permanent next

year. Got so many players on high wages that just don''t contribute enough and

in comes Nelson looking fully fit, working his arse of and burying chances when

they come. Genuinely think he''s too good for us and would have far more goals

if we created more chances. I''m surprised he has 8 already given we don''t score

more than 1 a game usually and he doesn''t always play.

LC I''m sure the pant-wetters will find something...give it around 30 seconds (if it even takes that long).

Apples

[quote user="have my howson it"]Watched him play for forest last season. He was a handful. Would be a good signing[/quote]

Would not be the main man. Probably 2 or 3 in the lone striker pecking order.

Far better than McCormack for our requirements, not one who would be first on any of our minds but a very good fit IMO.

I hope this comes off, with Canos, Pritchard & Wes supplying him sure fire to score goals.

Vydra would be the other realistic striker I''d like to see come here, gives you something slightly different.

Would be happy with Oliveira & Vydra.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Plan F is underway.

The wallet is empty eh Tilly.

If we get him and another, I can live with that. Just him and it''s bloody tragic.[/quote]Don''t get too excited about the wallet being opened Tants as it mentions a loan with a view to a permanent deal. [;)] Like you happy to have him on board but another is needed.

After Hagerdoo''s post, sounds like he may have distinct possibilities but as others have said, I think we still need another.

If this chap signs though and if Lafferty is sneaking back into the frame (I don''t think he''s ever had a real chance in his best position for us and do feel he can offer something at this level) do we still need to make a big striker signing given the fact we play 1 up front and our formation requires work rate and doesn''t suit a fox in the box "poacher" type which most of the big money strikers seem to be.

Is Jerome, Lafferty, Oliveira backed up by Morris and Naismith enough? Two of the three are not going to play every week as it is.

The story says that we are still looking for two and we should.

If this comes off fine, a striker with a point to prove and good back up to jerome. But we really need that top striker and we need to give them opportunities. Not tippy tap football that does it lead to chances. We play a lot of near football but shots on target are key.

We need more of them and more players taking that early chance to test the keeper.

Just need a signing it seems a blooming long time since AP arrived

happy with Oliveira

i think AN has jerome down as his NO1 striker

Oliveira is more than good enough for back up or even starting

Wouldn''t be a signing to set the pulse racing but then neither would McCormack or Rhodes. Anyway, this year is surely all about short term goals and if he helps us achieve promotion we can offload him and replace with better if its an initial loan.

High risk strategy but there''s been talk of being less loyal to players that win promotion in the future.

But surely we want to try and find an improvement on Jerome. Olive sounds a decent backup, but would love us to snatch someone like Rhodes to give us real depth and firepower up front

And Naysmith just isn''t an answer as a striker either.

With Maddison getting more assists in one game last night than Naysmith since he joined I feel he and Pritchard are both the now and future instead of Naysmith.

Sell him and use the money to secure a Rhodes, Vydra or Ings that will really get us the goals

OOh another side splitter a la post re Basil. The comedic posts by some of the posters are such highly amusing. If you do not have anything to add to the debate keep quiet you chump.

After a bit of research I think this would be a great signing.

The Forest fans on their forum really rate him, and seem to blame how his season tailed off on their lack of attacking support last season.

Some more quotes to add to the ones from last page;

"Definitely one of the better technical players I''ve seen play for Forest. Could''ve got over 20 goals in a slightly more attacking system last season"

"Nelson could easily score 20 in a season at this level in the right set-up. 9 in 24 hardly sets the world alight at face value but when we know what we now about last season it''s very credible"

"He has the ability to put the ball away from anywhere in and around the box. I think his only detractor is that it takes him 2-3 shots per goal, but if that was any better he''d be in the Premier League"

"Nelson scored nine goals in a struggling side, where he was mostly deployed as a lone forward and that with a team set out mainly to defend. I saw enough of him last season to see he''s quality, especially at this level"

There''s also quite a few more praising his work ethic and determination, which is vital when playing up top on your own.

If it''s a loan with an option to buy, then I can''t see how this is a bad deal. He has a lot of ability from the sounds of things and has his best years to come. He has also had a season at this level and so knows what to expect.

[quote user="pete"]OOh another side splitter a la post re Basil. The comedic posts by some of the posters are such highly amusing. If you do not have anything to add to the debate keep quiet you chump.[/quote][url]https://youtu.be/7syJJrsmrts[/url]

Just to get a grip on reality here as we are all anxious to see a couple of strikers on board can someone please put some meat on the bones as all i can find is a rumour on a dodgey website that as usual Archant have seized on and turned into an article.As for me i will just ask is this '' Here Is The City '' website creditworthy as i have never heard of it before this all popped up ?

Still a bit of a come down when you start the window expecting McCormack and end up with a relative unknown who may or may not score , still think we need that top striker as a starter Jerome just does not cut it for me , 11 months since he last scored at Carrow Road . Not looking likely to be Rhodes though as the bookies have us drifting badly now ..4/7 Middlesboro  11/4 Wolves and 8/1 Norwich .

Why is it a come down from McCormack? A thirty year old who has never played above the championship or a Portuguese international who has played 27 times at this level scoring 9 times and has higher standard football under his belt. At 25 some years ahead and won''t cost an inflated 12 million + wages meaning 20 odd million!

I just don''t get some people and their obsession with McCormack, are these the same people who loved Becchio before he came here?

[quote user="Indy"]Why is it a come down from McCormack? A thirty year old who has never played above the championship or a Portuguese international who has played 27 times at this level scoring 9 times and has higher standard football under his belt. At 25 some years ahead and won''t cost an inflated 12 million + wages meaning 20 odd million!

I just don''t get some people and their obsession with McCormack, are these the same people who loved Becchio before he came here?[/quote]

Well it''s a bit like the cr@p you''ve just posted about season ticket holders claiming Brady is on the way to Southampton. I don''t get why people make tripe up like this.