Sign in to follow this  
unique

Nelson Oliveira

[quote user="The young canary"]The fact no one else was linked to him probably tells you all you need to know about his quality

I just hope the other striker is a 20 goal a season player or we are screwed[/quote]If the Messiah had signed him you''d have been over the moon. [S]

He''s a damn sight better than a 30 year championship striker past his prime and a fraction of the price!

How can anyone not think its a good signing......by the way for the comment about being at one club and being shipped out! Bamford must have the record for that! 6 loan clubs never having played for his parent club in the premiership!

Great news and a good option to push Jerome.

[quote user="Sir Blobfish OBE"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Mason 47"]All but confirmed in AN''s presser today ahead of Birmingham. Not likely in time for this weekend but with 2 weeks now to get fit and ready, I don''t mind that.

Good signing.[/quote]Michael Bailey saying it''s a permanent deal, good stuff.Now wait for all the people who were saying "we won''t sign a striker, all we will get is a last-minute loan deal" change their tune and start saying "he''s a donkey, why are we wasting our money on cr@p players like this?" [:D][/quote]Oh, it''s started already. Congratulations Sir Blobfish, you were the quickest whinger off the mark![/quote]A tough award to earn on this forum, I know. You''re kidding yourself if you think this an ambitious signing for a side that''s trying to bounce straight back into the prem. We know our current weakness is up front (Jerome, Lafferty, Morris). Hope he does well if signed but I want to see a second striker coming in before the window, as Neil suggested before.[/quote]Where did I say "I think this is an ambitious signing for a side that''s trying to bounce straight back into the Prem"? I am pig sick of half-arsed pseudo-pundits looking at a few stats on a website and deciding they know better than our scouts and managers. We don''t have as much money as some other clubs in the Championship, so we''re looking for good value. That''s our football club, Blob. That''s our reality.Besides, he might not even be our ''number 9'' – wait and see what squad number he''s given before jumping to conclusions.

I agree with the comment lets judge after the window has closed but this signing won''t get us up at the first time of asking.

Now the addition of Danny Ings then I would be happy

Bold statement Beth, but 99.5% correct I reckon, but as a city fan can we just have that 0.05% chance for hope?

At last count 10/11 Prem teams were looking to sign a striker, I reckon 7 or 8 of them would want Danny Ings.

Even if Liverpool let him go out on loan, which is uncertain, I can see teams like WBA, Stoke, Burnley, Southampton etc all having a look at him. Norwich would be at the back of a pretty long queue.

This is before you factor in things like wages or whether he''d even want to come to the Championship.

Agreed, not sure what stance to take over AN''s openness - it''s nice to know we''re doing things but perhaps he shouldn''t be too gobby until it''s signed sealed and delivered.

Sounds promising though, that''s one decent striker hopefully on board, now it''ll be interesting to see who the second one will be!

[quote user="ridgeman"]Still time for it to be hijacked why don''t we keep it in house until it is done and dusted.[/quote]

Agreed. Why break cover on this deal and talk so highly of Oliveira before the deal is done ?

Jesus Danny ings again. Never gonna happen. Plus he''s hardly played in the prem suggesting his quality ain''t good enough to go with your statement young canary.

Oliveira will make people eat their words on this forum I''m sure of it. Quality signing

[quote user="John C"][quote user="ridgeman"]Still time for it to be hijacked why don''t we keep it in house until it is done and dusted.[/quote]

Agreed. Why break cover on this deal and talk so highly of Oliveira before the deal is done ?[/quote]

Perhaps the deal actually is done? I know he said over the next couple of days but I reckon it''s already over the line and it''s now down to the media team to sort pictures etc etc - with AN in Birmingham I''m sure he''ll want to be here with Oliveira for the obligatory official unveiling to the local press which I''m guessing will be Monday so makes perfect sense to me. AN isn''t stupid and he wouldn''t unnecessarily put himself in the firing line after McCormackgate, that I''m certain of. Now for a striker on a season long loan and we''re set 👍

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]At last count 10/11 Prem teams were looking to sign a striker, I reckon 7 or 8 of them would want Danny Ings.

Even if Liverpool let him go out on loan, which is uncertain, I can see teams like WBA, Stoke, Burnley, Southampton etc all having a look at him. Norwich would be at the back of a pretty long queue.

This is before you factor in things like wages or whether he''d even want to come to the Championship.[/quote]

The only hope would be that Liverpool wouldn''t want to sell or loan to a rival premiership team. They might look to a 6 month loan to a championship team where he might get more game time and full match fitness?

Just a really long shot! But heck it''s a funny old world.

[quote user="Indy"]He''s a damn sight better than a 30 year championship striker past his prime and a fraction of the price!

How can anyone not think its a good signing......by the way for the comment about being at one club and being shipped out! Bamford must have the record for that! 6 loan clubs never having played for his parent club in the premiership!

Great news and a good option to push Jerome.[/quote]Come on Indy hes nowhere near McCormack  and we didnt really want somebody to push Jerome we needed a goalscorer to start so Jerome could drop to the bench , as for Bamford according to the Mail he has an offer from us on the table but wants Prem football .Still a few days to go and the Rhodes price has dropped from 8/1 to 4/1 today so maybe we will get our goalscorer after all , then again dont hold your breath .

I think he is, given playing in this league they are pretty much like for like.

We will see, once he starts playing how many h gets and creates.

Time will tell, value for money a far better option.

I''ll be well pleased if we complete the signing of Oliveira, which AN says is 75% done and will be a permannent.

Of the player, he also says: “He is technically very, very good. He scored nine goals in 24 starts for Forest, he has played for Benfica and the Portugal national side and as a number nine he is pretty much an all-rounder. He can take it in, run in behind, he can score goals and create them and at 25 he is a great age and we hope these next few years at Norwich will be his best and his most important which is normally the case.

“He has all the scope that would improve us. He is one of many we have looked at. Numerous strikers have been put to us but we have certain criteria we deem helps us and how we play. His attributes are what I look for in a number nine. His strength is not a big targetman who will knock things on but he has really good technique. He is strong physically.”

Bethnal - If Dr Tony was at the game for talks then Valencia will realise the guy it absolutely batsh*t crazy and won''t touch them with a bargepole. That bloke really is a complete c0cl<.

Not often Alex has been so open before a player has officially signed, but i think  the reasons why this time are pretty clear. Much has been made of Alex and Citys fail to land a permanent since Alex  came to the club (myself included, having whined  on occasion), but Alex already said awhile back nobody but nobody wanted a new striker in more than he himself, so he has opened up now because its a relief to him as much as it is to the fans. Also im sure the signing of Oliveira is at such an advanced stage that Alex  felt was no harm in releasing the news.I for one am extremely happy that City will get this guy, of course we can all but hope he will turn out a very good  addition. No idea if City will land a 2nd striker, but at least one was always essential, so that part is almost done. Hmm, McGovern, Canos, Pritchard, Oliveira....Redders, ONeill, Voo, RVW....with a few days still to go, must admit, despite  relegation, our squad looks more potent, young, exciting than it did before.Alex is starting to build a team thats  his, its far from complete yet,  but hes building it.

That''s a good point AN is building his own squad, agree it looks younger and has some potential, but the question is does he have the balls to play them and stop relying on the old squad is the question?

[quote user="Essjayess"]Not often Alex has been so open before a player has officially signed, but i think  the reasons why this time are pretty clear. Much has been made of Alex and Citys fail to land a permanent since Alex  came to the club (myself included, having whined  on occasion), but Alex already said awhile back nobody but nobody wanted a new striker in more than he himself, so he has opened up now because its a relief to him as much as it is to the fans. Also im sure the signing of Oliveira is at such an advanced stage that Alex  felt was no harm in releasing the news.I for one am extremely happy that City will get this guy, of course we can all but hope he will turn out a very good  addition. No idea if City will land a 2nd striker, but at least one was always essential, so that part is almost done. Hmm, McGovern, Canos, Pritchard, Oliveira....Redders, ONeill, Voo, RVW....with a few days still to go, must admit, despite  relegation, our squad looks more potent, young, exciting than it did before.Alex is starting to build a team thats  his, its far from complete yet,  but hes building it.[/quote]

And that post by Essjayess, Pete (wherever you are), illustrates my point about balanced City fans 👍

As for building a squad, I think with Oliveira on board (all being well 😉), I think looking across the 2016/17 squad we''re now actually witnessing the most all round technically proficient Norwich City team that I remember seeing in my 30+ years of supporting NCFC. And what''s good about that is the more higher calibre players we recruit the easier it shall hopefully be to attract more, a domino effect as potential quality signings will want to be confident their compatriots are up to their standards. Happy days, and much to look forward to I feel 👍... OTBC

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I''ll be well pleased if we complete the signing of Oliveira, which AN says is 75% done and will be a permannent.

Of the player, he also says: “He is technically very, very good. He scored nine goals in 24 starts for Forest, he has played for Benfica and the Portugal national side and as a number nine he is pretty much an all-rounder. He can take it in, run in behind, he can score goals and create them and at 25 he is a great age and we hope these next few years at Norwich will be his best and his most important which is normally the case.

“He has all the scope that would improve us. He is one of many we have looked at. Numerous strikers have been put to us but we have certain criteria we deem helps us and how we play. His attributes are what I look for in a number nine. His strength is not a big targetman who will knock things on but he has really good technique. He is strong physically.”[/quote]

To me, it sounds like desperation & trying to convince people (maybe himself?) that Oliviera is the best possible signing we could have made following a pretty shambolic transfer window.

On the basis that he has played for Benfica & Portugal, if that is so important when signing a player, why sell RvW, who had played for Lisbon/Holland?

Rogue Baboon wrote ''On the basis that he has played for Benfica & Portugal, if that is so important when signing a player, why sell RvW, who had played for Lisbon/Holland?''

Because generally only good players play more than once for their national team, and leading domestic clubs in their respective countries? No disrespect but I think it''s fairly obvious we aren''t going to stop trying to sign the highest calibre players we can just because van Wolfswinkel was a failure.

Re Rogue Baboon, I suspect that this is a case of glass half empty or half full. Doubt our manager if you like, but he''s the one who will manage our push for promotion. Personally, I respect the professional opinion.

[quote user="Alex "]Rogue Baboon wrote ''On the basis that he has played for Benfica & Portugal, if that is so important when signing a player, why sell RvW, who had played for Lisbon/Holland?''

Because generally only good players play more than once for their national team, and leading domestic clubs in their respective countries? No disrespect but I think it''s fairly obvious we aren''t going to stop trying to sign the highest calibre players we can just because van Wolfswinkel was a failure.[/quote]

My point had nothing to do with buying RvW, more selling him, then signing a striker and justifying the signing because he had played for his national team and a top team. As we have learnt with RvW, it isn''t an indicator of a good player, as in your own words he was a failure

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="Alex "]Rogue Baboon wrote ''On the basis that he has played for Benfica & Portugal, if that is so important when signing a player, why sell RvW, who had played for Lisbon/Holland?''

Because generally only good players play more than once for their national team, and leading domestic clubs in their respective countries? No disrespect but I think it''s fairly obvious we aren''t going to stop trying to sign the highest calibre players we can just because van Wolfswinkel was a failure.[/quote]

My point had nothing to do with buying RvW, more selling him, then signing a striker and justifying the signing because he had played for his national team and a top team. As we have learnt with RvW, it isn''t an indicator of a good player, as in your own words he was a failure[/quote]

So what your basically saying is that Alex Neil should not have mentioned that he''s been an international player as it means nothing? Dont really understand why just because he sold a player that was signed by a different manager and that played for Holland ONCE, he can''t big up his own signing who''s played for his country no less than FIFTEEN times minimum? There''s quite a discrepancy in international caps there to be fair...

Nobody knows if he will be a hit or miss

until he plays for us

i am little worried that he has not scored many for other clubs

but then RVW was scoring plenty before he got here

so you can never judge from the past its what he does here

i hope he does well and we are a good fit , after all its how many goals he scores for us not forest etc