Sign in to follow this  
unique

Nelson Oliveira

For those who look at his scoring record and are less than impressed, consider the following:Player A makes their debut in the Dutch league and has an impressive goal to game ratio of 1.81, which leads to a move to Italy.2 seasons later, the same player has turned their 1.81 ratio into 5.2 instead and is then sold to an English club.Over the next 10 years the same player improves from that 5.2, but ''only'' to 3.6, meaning the player rarely gets more than 10 in a season.Sound like a decent player but nothing special?Oh, did I mention the player was Dennis Bergkamp...So whilst I wouldn''t argue that we could still do with a 15-20 a season striker as well, Oliveira could well be our own Bergkamp, in that he''s a player that is technically excellent, he CAN finish when given a good chance, and he brings far more to the team than just goals.I''m personally very pleased with the signing, and whilst it''s a bit ''left-field'' for some fans, it''s certainly far better than the majority of the names we''ve been linked to, and what''s more, we''re not paying over the odds in transfer fees or wages either!

Hey Archant. How about a weekly piece from a player''s perspective in the EDP. Nelson''s Column, I can see it now...

Like others on here, I''ve got a good feeling about this.

When we were after McCormack, being 30 and pricey worried me and when the price kept going up I was thinking "walk away!!!".

Now a 25 year old with ability, strength and something to prove sounds really good to me and not for mega bucks. Could be a massive bargain.

Now let''s get this completed and get him fit and available for the Cardiff game.

Oliveira''s goal scoring record is better than most people think. At Rennes he scored 4 in 8 games, and at Swansea he scored 1 goal in 4 starts and 6 sub appearances in the PL. At Forest he scored 9 in 24 starts and 4 sub appearances, having not joined until September (ie. no pre-season).

If McCormack is the epitome of goalscorers, why does he only have 1 goal in 5 appearances, including failing to score in 75 minutes against lower league opposition? Jerome has 2 goals in 4 games.

Some quality strikes on this video demonstrating he is a two footed finish with pace to run channels and harass opposition defence but also has that technical ability Neil is talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LGbUMQ179SA

Like Neil has said on paper he has the attributes at his age to really succeed but perhaps needs that consistent run of games. with the attacking creativity we have, I think this could be a shrewd bit of business.

Lots of strikers being linked Valencia Rhodes Okaka etc and imagine we will get another but perhaps a loan deal.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Indy"]I love this, so you''re unhappy because we''ve possibly signed a player who''s played 15 times for what are the European champions but you rather we signed a 30 year old who''s played 13 times for Scotland!

I really don''t understand some of our supporters, I''m happy that we''ve got a young all round striker in his prime for a fraction of the money we would have paid for McCormack.[/quote]The reason he''s a fraction of the cost of McCormack is he will score a fraction of the goals McCormack gets . Newcastle and Villa have goalscorers in their squads and are still looking for more , we have Jerome and Oliviera , its worrying .[/quote]

And you know that because?

Jerome has got 2 goals from 4 ratio of 1 from 2 games

Oliviera last campaign in a poor side with very limited service 9 goals from 24(+5) games that''s pretty much 1 from less than 3 games

Pretty dam good id say. Get your head outta of your @rse

Seriously why are some fans soiling themselves over this signing and are worried we aren''t signing "marquee" strikers like Rhodes and McCormack? 2 seasons a go we got promoted with Jerome (17 goals), Grabban (12 goals) and Hooper (12 goals) with an average first half of a season under Adams. Remember that second half of the season under Alex Neil? We were the best team in the division and we did it without a "star" striker, but a group of strikers who could chip in with a decent amount of goals. I''m sure Jerome will knock in a similar amount this season and Oliviera will chip in with at least a dozen in our attacking side, he''s surely going to be an upgrade on Grabban given the glowing reports from the Forest fans. Similarly in 2010/11 we had Holt on 21 goals and Jackson on 13 with decent supporting amount from Hoolahan, Crofts, Martin et al. I feel we just need to find a capable 3rd striker who offers something a bit different from the bench to replace the void left by Hooper and we''re pretty much there. I''m confident the likes of Pritchard, Canos, Jacob Murphy and (hopefully) Brady can replace some of the goals of Johnson (who was magnificent 2 seasons a go) and Redmond in our last promotion campaign and I''m confident our defence is in better shape with Klose in there. Would be even better if Naismith started showing his value but I''m not so confident there.

Our squad looks good for a promotion push and I wouldn''t expect a huge £8m+ striker purchase before the end of the window as I don''t think it''s needed (although I would love us to get someone like Mbokani as well). I''m glad we haven''t spent £10m+ on a 30yr old McCormack, I agree with Alex that I actually think we''ve signed the better player in Oliviera for half the price and we''ve strengthened further by spending the extra cash on Pritchard. I''m not sure what some fans are expecting, we have a great championship squad that plays well as a team which can score goals from all over the pitch. We''re not a team reliant on goals like a McCormack at Fulham and that''s a good thing, we''ll score enough goals to get out of the division.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Hey Archant. How about a weekly piece from a player''s perspective in the EDP. Nelson''s Column, I can see it now...[/quote]Best. Idea. Ever.

I think you''ve got it spot on Josh 👍. I think we''re quite unique in the fact that we''ve got so many players capable of scoring from all over the pitch, perhaps more so than ever before? - even Whits, people can say what they like about the chap but for a right back nobody can deny that he''s often a real threat around goal and that''s an unusual quality in itself and certainly not the norm for your average defender - I think only the other day he came on and not only had one cleared off the line but cracked the Ipshit post too 👍

Never heard of him until now. The more that I read the more impressed I am. It only appeared underwhelming because many on here had their hearts set on Rhodes etc.

I for one cannot wait to see him with quality around him.

I would just like a bit of clarity from our resident booing experts. If Oliveira is a guest of the board at the match today and we hammer Birmingham, would it mean the transfer is off if the Brummy fans boo? Or would it only influence his decision to sign if it''s Norwich fans booing? If it''s the latter who do you suggest we target as a replacement if City put in a really poor performance and the away fans show their displeasure with a chorus of boos at full time? Actually after thinking it through though, may be it would just be safer all round if Oliveira is kept away from all Norwich fixtures until the transfer is finalised. We don''t want to miss out because a couple of fans display their vexation at a substandard perfomance by either team. That said I suppose we could just hope for a score draw, with both sets of fans going home relatively happy.

Think todays news re Jerome explains why Neil went to lengths to explain were we are at with Nelson, obviously the lack of strikers could not be more highlighted!

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Think todays news re Jerome explains why Neil went to lengths to explain were we are at with Nelson, obviously the lack of strikers could not be more highlighted![/quote]TBH, we''ve do have two fit strikers at the club in Morris and Lafferty. I just don''t understand why he''d much rather play that waster Naismith. Seems to be cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I have to agree IBT, just don''t think Naismith up top is better option then Laffs!

I suppose AN love for Naismith is here for all to see.

Well fingers crossed he can score today, a win would be nice!

At least Canos & Murphy start and we have a good young bench with Maddison & Murphy.

Will be good to get Oliviera up and going ASAP.

Or is Murphy up top and Naismith playing in midfield? Good luck to whoever''s up front today, I''m sure they''ll do just fine 👍 OTBC

I think it''ll be 4 up top at times and then 0 up top other times!

As long as we get the goals who cares!

3-1

[quote user="iron_stan"]this is a really uninspiring signing and hes no better than what we have

[/quote]No better than playing Ricky Van Naismith up front? You want your head examining.

hes no better than lafferty or jeromewe need a proven championship goal scorer, the most hes managed is 9 goals in a season, in 7 seasons! thats not a good record for anyone at any level, theres higher scoring defensive midfieldersand if hes the height of our ambitions and considered a good signing you can wave goodbye to a title challengelike i said uninspiring, no better than what we haveno ambition, same old shit from the board

[quote user="iron_stan"]same old sh*t from iron_stan[/quote]Whine, whine, whine.Why don''t you ever say anything positive, stan?

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="iron_stan"]same old sh*t from iron_stan[/quote]Whine, whine, whine.Why don''t you ever say anything positive, stan?[/quote]nothing positive to say about this signing is therehow about you use his stats and history to justify nearly 5 million spent on someone whose been passed around more than your mum and still cant score more than 10 goals in a season

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="iron_stan"]same old sh*t from iron_stan[/quote]Whine, whine, whine.Why don''t you ever say anything positive, stan?[/quote]nothing positive to say about this signing is there[/quote]Not when you''re iron_stan, the world''s most miserable man.Truth is, though, you''ve never seen him play, have you? You''ve looked up his stats a bit, maybe watched a couple of minutes on YouTube and ignored the fact that he looks quite handy because you want to have a moan that we haven''t spent more money on someone you''ve heard of.Just face it, you know the square root of nothing about football and you''re only here to try and bring people down to your level.Very sad.

[quote user="iron_stan"]hes no better than lafferty or jeromewe need a proven championship goal scorer, the most hes managed is 9 goals in a season, in 7 seasons! thats not a good record for anyone at any level, theres higher scoring defensive midfieldersand if hes the height of our ambitions and considered a good signing you can wave goodbye to a title challengelike i said uninspiring, no better than what we haveno ambition, same old shit from the board [/quote]How do you know he''s no better than Lafferty or Jerome? Did you spend the entire of last season scouting him? Perhaps you have studied videos of every game he has played in the last 3 years?  If that''s the case did you also thoroughly scout players like Steen Nedergaard, Simeon Jackson and Mattias Svensson before we signed them? What about Timm Klose, have you spent many months in Germany taking in Wolfsburg games? Were you were the one that suggested that we should sign Alex Tettey as your knowledge of European footballers is second to none? Or maybe you''ve just developed an ill informed opinion that Oliviera isn''t as good as what

we''ve got because you''d never heard of him before his name was linked to

the club?

if he was any good deportivo, rennes, swansea and even forest would have tried to sign him

if he was a 20 goal a season striker Benfica wouldnt have loaned him out every season to the age of 25

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="iron_stan"]same old sh*t from iron_stan[/quote]Whine, whine, whine.Why don''t you ever say anything positive, stan?[/quote]nothing positive to say about this signing is therehow about you use his stats and history to justify nearly 5 million spent on someone whose been passed around more than your mum and still cant score more than 10 goals in a season[/quote]Of course you''re right, other than the Forrest fans rate him highly. He has 15 senior caps for the current European champions and has been capped at every youth level. He has Champions League experience. He''s strong and looks to be able to hold the ball up well. He has a fair bit of pace and will trouble defences with it. He is good with both feet. He looks to have a shot from distance. At 25 he will be coming into his prime. Manchester United, Machester City and Real Madrid have all been linked with him over the last 5 years. He has played plenty of Championship football. He suits our style of play under Neil. But other than that, you''re right, there''s nothing positive to say.