Sign in to follow this  
Discobolus

Adel Gafaiti

I see Gafaiti is being released at the end of June, thought he was supposed to be something special and lots of other clubs were after him, went off the radar for a bit, now on his way out.

He is obviously not that special at all, which is a shame.

The club seem to be struggling to nurture the boys at the moment. Very disappointing to see so many of them shown the door, but that is life sadly.

It''s alittle worrying the lack of development of young players at all the bigger clubs in this country. I can''t help feel that young players would be better off at smaller clubs rather than being stockpilled and the FA rather than dicking around with the structure of the league would be better off finding away to improve coaching and training facilities at those lower levels.

I think he spent more time injured than playing sadly, and he''s just getting too old now. He went on loan, made one appearance and then came back here and failed to get into the development squad. One with promise that never rose to the required level, although I wish him well and have no doubt he has the ability to be a league one/lower champ player in the future - but not ready for the first team any time soon so sensible to let him go to develop his career elsewhere.

I''m not entirely convinced that the bigger clubs are any more capable of nurturing younger players than the lower league clubs. The bigger clubs more often than not end up signing players that were nurtured in the lower leagues, rather than progressing their own youth.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]I''m not entirely convinced that the bigger clubs are any more capable of nurturing younger players than the lower league clubs. The bigger clubs more often than not end up signing players that were nurtured in the lower leagues, rather than progressing their own youth.[/quote]

I think they would also have the opportunity of first team football as apposed to the joke u21s. The key is making sure the lower league teams are coached well and don''t train on a cow field, make the standard at lg 1 and 2 better the whole league system wold improve.

They''re going to run a trail in the EFL trophy next season for academy teams, such as ours, to be invited to take part in a bid to help the development of youth.

Sadly, as Yellowbeagle has suggested, the teams they will be competing with on shoestring budgets is unfortunately where the problem begins. A lot of these clubs are struggling to survive, let alone have decent facilities to develop players. This is why a large number of successful youth players in the top flight have been poached from other countries because somehow the standard of football is greater than at grassroots here in the UK.

And although I''d like to think the Development League introduction with the limits on older players etc. has helped youth football up and down the country, sadly such a small number of those players go on to get professional contracts - but at least it gives them more game-time and a chance to develop and prove themselves.

[quote user="AJ"]And although I''d like to think the Development League introduction with the limits on older players etc. has helped youth football up and down the country, sadly such a small number of those players go on to get professional contracts - but at least it gives them more game-time and a chance to develop and prove themselves.[/quote]

I think the development league is something that looks good on paper but in reality is not as good as the old reserve leagues where the young payers could mix with senior players and is also a poor substitute for first team football down the league. To be honest a 21 year old who is part of the u21s with no decent loan spells and no where near the first team bench is probably often way behind a 19 year old playing regular lg1 or 2 football. The u21s feels abit like a footballing graveyard presently.

Did anyone see his tweet earlier.

Someone tweeted: WE ARE KEEPING FUCKING TURNER BUT NOT ADEL GAFAITI

Gafaiti replied : Life is funny 😄

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"]Southampton have history of nurturing talent over the years, pity we cant do the same.[/quote]

Have to say that I tend to feel that they have no higher a success rate than anyone else. They get a lot of credit because of the likes of Bale but I believe that he wasn''t part of their academy until he was 16. So a lot of credit has to go to those coaching him before that as well.

I think a couple of their other players have also spent time with other academies.

Still, although they have had some, I think the reality is that by and large there are far far far more that do not make the grade than those that do. And the wealthier clubs tend to be able to keep more players on because they can take a gamble on them.

Take Chelsea last season - they had 20-30 players out on loan and a sizable chunk of those were youngsters. For each of those youngsters a loan fee or their wages will have been covered. If both then they are onto a bit of a winner. Bamford for example may have cost us a fee and wages.