Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Sterling is Redmond, Redmond is Sterling!

Lol, said exactly the same to the Missus and the Boy! Loads of pace, no end product!

Ditto here! Loads of space to run into, and attack the full back, so what does he decide to do..............

Rose looked more effective at crossing than Sterling

Don''t particularly agree.

Sterling has more pace. Redmond is more of a thinking player.

People see Redmond as an ultra pacey winger but that isn''t actually his game.

Whilst he hasn''t had the bests of season, for me Ross Barkley would be a far better option as a creative midfielder than Sterling, but with that, where does Rooney fit in?

He''s the same in that his own fans criminally underrate him, forget he''s still very young and expect him to be able to beat teams by himself?

Agreed, the thing is with Rooney, he was trying to play the Gerrard role and he''s not in the same class to do that. Centre forward or nowhere for Rooney IMO, let''s have the best creative players in the creative positions.

To be fair, I thought we did really well in the first half although we didn''t put their keeper under enough pressure in terms of shots. It was also nice to see some passion in the first half but once we started the second half it was as if Hughton had given the half time team talk.

Tricky. Nobody else has Rooney''s combination of vision, awareness and range of passing.

Wilshere has something in his locker but his injuries make it hard to build around him.

Just think Sterling cost Man City £49 million and Stoke hope to get Redmond for £10 million.......yeah dream on Mark Hughes.

That was to lessingham.

Ron, Rooney is not anywhere near a Gerrard IMO, he is a top player, but a long way off what he was, When on top you have to score and kill games off, and the skipper has to take a large part of the responsibility for that, and England couldn''t do that tonite, and are quite predictable.

Barkley and Wilshire offer so much, but managers have their favourites and Roy is quite clear on who his are. Do you think England will beat Wales ?

In fairness Rooney was pretty much controlling the game. Not a great decision to take him off.

After watching the two games, tbh, I think it will be a draw. Wales have the cards as far as the forwards are concerned, obviously thats my opinion, we have to defuse the Bale threat but their defence is weak. England need to capitalise on this weakness, control midfield,but most of all, shoot on sight.

Perhaps we should go with Kane and Vardy up front and sacrifice a defensive midfielder in Dier, even though he scored tonight. (It was from a free kick not open play).

[quote user="GJP"]In fairness Rooney was pretty much controlling the game. Not a great decision to take him off.[/quote]

Eh? No he wasn''t. Played a couple of nice cross field passes but ''controlling the game'' is a stretch.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]After watching the two games, tbh, I think it will be a draw. Wales have the cards as far as the forwards are concerned, obviously thats my opinion, we have to defuse the Bale threat but their defence is weak. England need to capitalise on this weakness, control midfield,but most of all, shoot on sight.

Perhaps we should go with Kane and Vardy up front and sacrifice a defensive midfielder in Dier, even though he scored tonight. (It was from a free kick not open play).[/quote]

If we dropped Dier we''d have a midfield of Rooney, Ali, Lallana and Sterling- do you really not see an issue with that?

We need Dier as we need a holding midfielder. Even the very best teams in the world play with a holding midfielder these days as without one counter attacking is far too easy. Drop Dier and Wales will tear us apart with their pace on the counter attack.

[quote user="GJP"]Watch the game back. You need to.[/quote]

He was good but he wasn''t controlling the game. I could the logic in taking him off for Wilshere (looked a bit leggy) but it didn''t work out. I''m not saying he was bad but controlling the game is pushing it for me.

I''d add that I thought when we went 1-0 up the obvious change was Vardy for Kane. Kane hadn''t done much and Vardy''s pace would have allowed us to stretch Russia more as they came forward in search of the equaliser.

Sterling was the only player tonight that didn''t turn up. Even my wife thought he was shocking and she knows f all. Agree with a previous comment. Barkley in.

My whole point King Canary (duely bows) was that yes, we do away with a holding MFielder and go on the attack. Wales defence is their most vunerable point so exploit it, if we continually press the need for a defensive midfielder is less.

Anyway,it was just a thought! 😉

Said just the same last night about Sterling reminding me of Redmond. No doubt that both of them have a great level of ability, but there''s no point beating your man on the wing 10 times if you then can''t deliver a decent ball into the box. It''s always head down and run, never looking to see what else is happening.

That''s why Beckham was such a great winger, he never once beat a man but he was able to deliver pin point balls into the box.

What exactly does Lallana do to be on the pitch?

IMO there are too many players in the team who are there because they were good a few years ago - and usually for their previous team, such as Lallana and Sterling.

Also, what is Milner for, apart from giving the ball away?

Bemused that Redmond is now getting flak for taking players on too much after there was a whole thread not long ago where posters were complaining he didn''t do just that enough.

He''ll be missed once he''s gone in the summer.