Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

Vincent Kompany asks the important questions

The playing of ''God Save The Queen'' before Northern Ireland''s match against Poland on Sunday prompted injured Manchester City and Belgium defender Vincent Kompany to ask: "If England faces Northern Ireland will we hear the same national anthem twice? Will they all sing it together... twice? I''m confused."

Anyone else pick up the fantastic rendition of Land of my Fathers sung by the Welsh supporters during the 2nd half of their game.

How come they have that and Scotland sing Flower of Scotland yet England (and NI) have to sing the UK anthem?

Land of Hope and Glory for me but anything would be better than not having our own anthem.

We have "Engerland, Engerland, Engerland, Engerland, Engerland, Engerland, Engerland (repeat Ad Nauseum)".

It''s something that has been an annoyance to me since I was a kid, mainly that England uses the GB anthem: whenever we play Wales or Scotland they get their own anthem + the GB one (of which they are, of course, part), which their fans often boo; the flipside is that when they are representing GB they have to use what is effectively the English anthem, which they then sing along with. Something has always seemed very odd about it.

Agree Jerusalem.

Surely it''s insulting for the Welsh and Scots to have to effectively sing the English national anthem when representing GB.

Surely this is all a result of the complicated issue, that some have criticised in the past, of the UK having four teams in the competition due to the fact that it constitutes four football associations.

The alternative would be one team made up from the four countries called the United Kingdom and singing the National Anthem, as with the Olympic Games.

In such situations as this tournament a separate anthem should be sung by England, not one that represents what are, in fact, our opponents in the Euros.

Rewind 50 years and the union was something more people seemed to accept and indeed want to be part of. If you look at photos/footage of the 1966 world cup final you will see the union flag all around the stadium and he hard pressed to find a George Cross anywhere. Now of course the opposite is true.

Older posters may well know better but I believe we were bonded together in spirit through the war and that bond has been weakened as time has passed.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Purple Canary would object to Jerusalem[/quote]Would I? Ah, I didn''t know that. No doubt you are right, though. In case I get asked the question at a cocktail party or such like (it is just one mad social whirl on my tax-haven island paradise!) it would be jolly helpful if you could tell me why I would object, so I can justify my stance. Cheers.

Correct me if I''m wrong, but I think Land of Hope and Glory is sung/played when an English person wins at the Commonwealth Games, but God Save the Queen is played at the Olympics (for a GB win).

[quote user="Howie"]

It would be sung twice.[/quote]

When it''s Northern Ireland''s turn for the anthem will the England fans boo it?

What language is the Belgian National Anthem?

Perhaps French?

What’s the first language of most Belgians?

Perhaps Dutch?

I’m confused.

At least the people of the UK+NI speak the same language (more or less).

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Loved how some of the PC brigade leapt up to berate his post but probably couldn''t answer his question![/quote]As the head of the PC brigade here I can answer that - we really didn''t give a d*mn!As it happens the UK national anthem is really, really dire. The words are tedious and the tune is a dirge. The obvious replacement for England is Roy Harper''s "When an old cricketer leaves the crease". And for the UK, if we are being serious, then "I vow to thee, my country". The words are overblown patriotic quasi-religious flummery but at least they are not as dumbly repetitive as those of the current anthem. And the tune is pretty decent.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Straight forward "Please stand for the national anthems of England and Northern Ireland" Then play it once.

[/quote]

How will we know when to stop singing ours and start booing theirs?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Loved how some of the PC brigade leapt up to berate his post but probably couldn''t answer his question![/quote] As the head of the PC brigade here I can answer that - we really didn''t give a d*mn!

As it happens the UK national anthem is really, really dire. The words are tedious and the tune is a dirge. [/quote]

Some people clearly were taking offence from his tweet for the sake of it. I think they just like an argument though.

I agree the UK national anthem is pretty rubbish though. Italy have a right anthem! Easy to see why they are passionate belting that out before kick off!