Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

New 3 year deal for Jerome

"I can''t help wondering if things would have been different if the Palace goal at the start of the season had stood. Confidence is a big thing for many players."

Funny you should say that B.

I''ve held a grudge all season against that awful Simon Hooper and his inept and ''corrupt'' performance.

I remember thinking at the time that that performance could relegate us.

It was not just the fact that we were denied a deserved point and may be more which would have proved vital at the end of the season, but it was also the general dispiriting effect a home defeat to one of the lesser sides would have likely had on the squad.

I remember Ian Wright when talking of the Jerome decision stating that it was the ''end of attacking football as he knew it.'' Of course we have subsequently witness several such goals being allowed throughout the season.

We needed to freshen up not rely upon a striker who could not score at the highest level. Perhaps I will be proved wrong and he will score for fun next season but I am not optimistic.

Totally agree Broadstairs.I remember reading in Iwan''s book about the effect of a lack of confidence - over-thinking, muscles tensing and trying too hard - balls that would normally be controlled bounce off your foot etc.

We should be able to afford a younger more prolific striker than Jerome , starting to think Alex Neil does not know what a good player is and after a season and a half he still wants to rely on Neil Adams signings . Long season ahead  and with 4 seasons of Premiership money our squad should be looking so much better . New 3 year deal for Captain Calamity next i suppose .

[quote user=" Badger"]Totally agree Broadstairs.I remember reading in Iwan''s book about the effect of a lack of confidence - over-thinking, muscles tensing and trying too hard - balls that would normally be controlled bounce off your foot etc.[/quote]This is true, of course.  Jerome scored 20 goals last time in the Championship, he could do that again, but he will need to find the insiration and confidence to do that.  Having only scored 3 (4) last season and missed several easy chances, presumably because of the pressure, he will need to dig deep to get himself back on track.  Of course, that extra split second of time you get in the lower division will help him.  As for that overhead kick - allowed or disallowed - it was the goal of the season. He should take confidence from that.

I am glad of this ''signing'' as well''

Jerome is more than likely to be more than useful next season. His all-round play will be more effective in the lower league, and it was decent in the Premier league, IMO.

He should get a few goals as well having proven that he can strike in the Chumps.

I still maintain that a new striker should be our marquee signing of the Summer ... our biggest outlay. Our fortunes could well depend up the quality of this signing as I feel even with the loss of Redmond (fairly sure) and Brady (not quite so definite) that we will have a decent squad to set before the rest. This without any other possible incomings, the fruition of one or two youngsters and a renaissance of form of some of the players who failed to hit the mark last season ie. Naismith, Mulumbu and Vadis.

Jarvis might just have enough to be more of a menace up front next season, but we would still need a wide man to replace NR.

It would be ideal to dispense of either Bassong or Bennett and discover a new star to go alongside Klose.

If, as seems the general consensus, that Klose will remain for a little bit longer then our defence would then seem to be quite strong , IMO, with a back five of Ruddy, Pinto, Klose, A.N. Other and Olsson backed up with Martin and Bennett/Bassong and Whittaker and not forgetting young Toffolo.

I remember last time around that there were rumblings that we would lose Olsson, yet he stayed. This time there have been no such rumours.

It is an encouraging thought that one or more of the Murphys, Maddison, Thompson and Toffolo are likely to make the breakthrough this coming season .... at last.

Looking forward to four more years in Champs or more relegations from the Prem. Does he really deserve 3 years plus option when signed on for 2 plus option.

It''s Character Forming wrote: "The pinkun never ceases to amaze me.  So we''re debating whether a striker may find it easier to score goals in the championship than in the premiership.  I think I''ll pass."
No wonder you don''t score enough goals. Don''t pass, man, shoot ............ [;)]

With Jerome staying, it just reaffirms how little activity there will be this summer, with a guaranteed net spend of less than £0, due to the clubs financial position.

One would assume that this signing has the approval of AN, but I''m not totally convinced he will be our manager come the first game next season.

The board talks AN up - but will they financially support him in a serious challenge for the PL? I don''t think so.

Either AN has to like it or walk - don''t be surprised if it is the latter.

AN clearly rates/trusts Jerome, he used him aplenty towards the end of the season, it is bizarre to think we''d have given him a new contract without AN wishing it - and he''s quoted in the article so it has hardly been done without his knowledge.

There was never ever any chance of us being big spenders (when are we ever?), so you''ve hardly looked deep into a crystal ball for that one: we''re likely to do similar to last time - sell a few players and spend a bit on replacements/shoring up areas that need it.

I thought Jerome was our PoTS last time we were in the Championship.

Plenty good enough at our level. If we go up then maybe sell him to a Champs side for whom he could do similar. Should get okay money with 2 years remaining on the deal.

Jerome will be much more effective against Championship defences this season, as he was before. IMO, this and the extensions for Whittaker and Turner are sensible ways to free up funds for another quality striker and possibly a RW as well if Brady leaves for Leicester or elsewhere. The key then will be to hold on to Klose who is not only top class himself, but helped anyone playing beside him perform better.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Terrible striker we are clearly preparing for a long stay in the Champs .[/quote]
If we were preparing for a long stay in the Champs, I don''t think we''d be re-signing a striker who can get 20 goals at this level, as that kind of striker actually helps us get out of it.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Terrible striker we are clearly preparing for a long stay in the Champs .[/quote]

Yes, was total rubbish at Wembley. Jerome is as good as any striker in the champs, he might not be good enough for the prem but that''s not the level we find ourselves at. I''d be a lot more worried if he''d been able to leave, now we just need to add a couple of new strikers.

Makes sense to extend him but it doesn''t change the need to invest in another striker. I like Jerome but even in the Champoinship he could be inconsistent- for instance he finished the season (pre playoffs) with 2 goals in 12 games. He is a good option but we need others.