Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russian football in trouble... again

Disgusting behaviour by the Russian fans last night, vile and unnecessary. I know England fans can be obnoxious and troublesome, but the don''t flaunt it in the same ridiculous scale as the Russians do. I really hope UEFA throw the book at them.

Seeing those England fans being complete arses yet again is so sad yet so predictable - it almost makes me wish we weren''t there - though it is clearly a huge minority who is getting the media coverage rather than the thousands of normal guys.

Has to be said that the security arrangements at the stadium looked worse than they''d be at a L2 game; not great for a country under a high security threat.

I bet there will be no trouble between England and Wales fans next week, but Russia will be staying near so will all be repeated.

I watched Stan Collymore on periscope live last night. What an insight. He got speaking to a guy from channel 4 news and he was saying that a lot of Russians travelled from Switzerland to France in rented cars to avoid detection. Supposedly there hooligan gangs there from PSG, Marseille and Toulouse. Also there was a bit where there was 200-300 fans, supposedly locals and they were in groups of 7 and 8 where all in one part of marseille, someone whistled 4 times and they all legged it up an alley and police fired tear gas at them. There were lots of English fans about doing nothing.

There was also an incident in Nice where Polish and N.Ireland fans were mixing and then they were ambushed by locals.

The video going about of about 50 stewards trying contain the Russians after they scored is ridiculous. There''s a segregation with a bit of white rope which the fans just all pass backwards over there heads.

How did a country on red alert with terror manage to let supporters in with, a flare and fireworks.

Role on the next world cup in........ oh yer in Russia. Where there will be lots of different cultures and races. What could possibly go wrong. With one of UEFA charges from last night being racist chanting in the stadium.

Good! And screw the self-hating English fans who believe everything the guardian tells them. We were clearly attacked by local firms and organised Russian gangs. Get your heads out of 1989. Chanting that you don''t like the French is not "asking for it" it''s football chanting that every nation at this tournament does. It doesn''t warrant England fans fighting for their lives in hospital because tussian thugs think it''s acceptable.

And uefa and French police can hang their heads as well. Absolutely pathetic policing and if that''s a level we can expect them it''s no surprise of a bomb gets in the stadium. Useless!

If FIFA think there won''t be racist abuse and violence at the World Cup they are stupid. The competition was awarded to them by a bunch of crooks, the whole thing should be scrapped!

The World Cup in Russia will be a farce, as their fans will know that FIFA would never throw the hosts out, so they will do what they like and get away with it.  I can only imagine the rascism and hooliganism that will prevail against all and sundry.  With the foretaste going on in France atm, looks horribly like a potential bloodbath to me.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]UEFA have said that England and Russia will be disqualified for the Euros if their fans cause more trouble.[/quote]

Wait till the Poles kick off with the Germans

I''m sorry, but if crowds of drunken French football fans were amassing in Norwich and chanting anti-English songs then it would be provocation enough for some local tw*ts to kick off over it.

It is not acceptable to say "well, that''s football. " it isn''t. It is racism. Singing offensive songs about the country you are visiting is asking for trouble, which is not to condone what has happened to any of our supporters at the hands of these thugs, but let''s not pretend we are wholly the sinned against.

That''s pretty much one view Bor and might well be right, but watching all the reports it''s clear to see that even some English fans are there to get involved in trouble if it''s offered!

I agree that our supporters haven''t started anything major but reacted to event in most cases.

I feel sorry for the families and kids who should go to these great tournaments and enjoy the whole thing not to be caught up in nonsense and stupidity.

All nations have their hooligan element and it''s ugly to see it, Russia should have all fans banned from future games, all home games for their friendlies from now to the World Cup played behind closed doors and when they play away the Russian fans banned from travelling.

Well, I completely agree that it is a great shame we cannot follow our national team abroad safely.

The French policing approach appears to be to let everyone beat the crap out of each other while they watch, and then randomly fire tear gas into retreating crowds. The segregation in stadiums is ineffective, and if fans can get flares, boxing gloves and MMA headgear into the ground then something more deadly must be possible. What a shambles.

Totally agree Bor, in such a high risk situation how the hell did fans get in two smoke flares and a huge firework? Poor policing at the ground and again from the video footage their police are a joke, the wade in heavy handed just intensifies the situation.

I read that our police are on the way there to look after our fans, who''s going to pay for that?

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I''m sorry, but if crowds of drunken French football fans were amassing in Norwich and chanting anti-English songs then it would be provocation enough for some local tw*ts to kick off over it.

It is not acceptable to say "well, that''s football. " it isn''t. It is racism. Singing offensive songs about the country you are visiting is asking for trouble, which is not to condone what has happened to any of our supporters at the hands of these thugs, but let''s not pretend we are wholly the sinned against.[/quote]

Brilliant post Bor! 👍👍👍

I''m hearing that it''s the French that are attacking everyone. When''s the first time that you able to say that?

The difference is organisation. Russian fans are TOOLED UP with weapons and plan attacks to cause maximum damage

When Celtic came for Adam Drurys testimonial there were thousands of drunk Scottish fans singing in the streets. Did we all fight with them?

Just shows what a backward country France is. Massive social problems. A third world country masquerading as a developed one.

says it all when the russian sports minister says he sees nothing wrong with fans fighting urging his countrymen to keep up the good work!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36515213

While rooney and roy ask our boys to behave themselves.

Its all a little bit more than surreal

This is heading back to the dark old days...

A 50-year-old England supporter in a "critical but stable" condition in hospital with severe brain injuries has been named as Andrew Bache.

The Portsmouth supporter was reportedly assaulted by Russian fans armed with iron bars before the game between the two sides. A fundraising page has so far collected more than £4,000 for Mr Bache.

Meanwhile, an ultra-nationalist Russian politician has praised the country''s fans for fighting England supporters and has told them to "keep it up!"

Igor Lebedev, who also sits on the Russian Football Union executive committee, said on Twitter: "I don''t see anything wrong with fans fighting."

He said the violence was "not the fans'' fault" and blamed the French police''s "inability to organise such events".

Shocking comments from that Russian politician. Interesting no one else from the Russian gov''t/FA has spoken out about it. You''d think, when threatened w/ disqualification, they''d say something? Either that or Putin will come in riding shirtless on horseback leading the hooligans into battle with innocent bystanders.

So, their hypothetical ''excuse'' might be that in their country they have never lived in a prosperous, safe and peaceful society where individuals have a voice and are valued. There, ultraviolence is organised & often state-sanctioned; alcohol & drug abuse is pandemic; welfare is minimal and poverty can kill.

What different ''excuse'' do our lot have?

Or are social elements of free, rich Britain still comparable to a ''2nd world'' dysfunctional society like Russia?

I don''t have an answer to this genuine debating point...

This will be interesting, another angry night in Lille, will UEFA have the bottle to dismiss Russia? and will FIFA have the bottle to take WC from them. Wouldn''t it be sweet if they did and England took their place.