Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

The South Stand sponsored by The Galway Roast

In the same way as it''s "Barclay sponsored by coral" it retains the identity of the stand but gives you that additional revenue. Hopefully the coffee in the ground will be better as well, that''s got to be a win!

Don''t want to appear negative but it seems like a very small company to sponsor such a big stand. Anybody have an idea about the cost of such a sponsorship?

Bit random!

Was hoping it''d go to a local company, but I guess with them providing the hot drinks throughout the club it was a "double deal" if you like as a caterer too. As long as they bring a decent sponsorship deal into the club and extra revenue through the drinks then I don''t really mind. Just glad it didn''t go to some random betting company or something!

This is a granular approach as ground sponsorship wasn''t available, when our current deal runs out our new kit supplier will be Kappachino.

The linked article does dispel one unknown on here over how and why the South Stand was called that in the first place. The popular theory was that it was named after Sir Arthur South which I have always disputed as I could never remember it being called anything other than the South Stand. The linked piece does also seem to confirm it as a fact......."History of the South Stand

Prior to the construction

and subsequent opening of the Jarrold Stand in 2004, the previous stand

had been known since the early 1950’s as the South Stand.

That name later came to be seen as being particularly apt because of Sir Arthur South’s connection to the club.

As

Lord Mayor he headed the public appeal for funding in 1957 that saved

the Club. He joined City’s board in 1966 and became the club’s chairman in 1973."

I''ve had several discussions on here with my old fiend Ricardo (a man with an amazing memory who I envy greatly) but on this one occasion I always thought he''d got it wrong........

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"]It

was named after Sir Arthur South in recognition for his leadership in

the 1956 Crisis.[/quote]Thanks Ricardo. What was it called prior to

1956? [/quote]It didn''t have a name Lapp. The Barclay Stand and the Main

Stand were the only stands that were named. The River End was not named

as a stand in those days it was just part of the ground. The Barclay

corner right round and including the River End was all know as the

ground. The name South Stand does not seem to have become current until

it was physically separated from the River End.[/quote]

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3/2842619/ShowPost.aspx#2842619

Sorry Ricky. [;)][:)]

In Ted Bells book ''On the Ball City'' there is mention of a compromise in naming the stand The South Stand in that it was to the south and Sir Arthur would be given recognition of his work on the public appeal.

TIL 1010 is not online. Last active: 25/05/2016 15:19:27

TIL 1010

Top 25 Posts

Joined on 20/01/2008

Norwich

Posts 11,743

Re: Jarrold Stand is no more.....

Anyway back on topic....remember where you heard it first ...........The Galway Roast.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Well done Tilly, now remind us who will be main sponsor ? wonder if Nutty could do a league table for that ;-)[/quote]GoPro.

Whoa whoa whoa! You boys got it all wrong.

It''s obvious, if it''s from Ireland and it''s roasted- it''s obviously roast potatoes.

The South Stand sponsored by roast spuds and gravy.

Guess what''s on the menu at halftime.