Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

Shame on this message board.

I have to say the last few days I have been ashamed to be a part of this message board. What I refer to is the treatment of posters such as Dicky and Always Travelling who of late have been subjected to personal attacks simply for showing admirable and unwavering support of their team (see e.g. "open letter to dicky" post). I think some people (you know who you are) need to realise that no amount of spite on these boards is going to make the slightest bit of difference to decisions made by the management of NCFC and neither is it going to sway the board. Look at it as a cancer to this board and cut it out I say.I''ve said before and I''ll say it again, keeping the faith (which appears of late to be a crime) is not about backing Worthington no matter how bad things get, it''s about supporting the club, encouraging the players, trusting the board. I am sure there is a point beyond which the board will not let things slide, and I am sure if that point is reached action will be taken. If that means the manager goes, I will wholeheartedly throw my support behind whomever should come in his place, until then my wholehearted support (regardless of any doubts I might have) belongs to the manager we currently have. Leave him to do his job and the board to do theirs, our job is to support the club, ergo them.That''s my opinion. I would appreciate not being attacked for it.

Crazy Eddie

I too have noted this, and as I have, in the past, been subjected to personal attacks (not this season, but during the Huckerby transfer saga), I have tried to steer clear of it.  I did post something similar a while ago concerning the unfriendly nature of the board, but I suppose feelings are running high at the moment as disappointment and anger even are displayed due to the team''s not so great performances.

In an ideal world we would all be nice to each other, and I can only speak for myself, but I really try not to get personal with anyone, however much I disagree with their opinions.

I don''t see why anyone should attack you for saying what you think.  You state that you think two posters are being personally insulted, but don''t mention names.  I am sure all of us, at some time or another have stepped over the line, and most of us would apologise for this I hope.

A while back I didn''t post for a considerable period as this kind of thing was going on, much worse I have to say, but I do understand where you are coming from.  I have replied to both posters with points against their arguments and neither have personally attacked me, perhaps I am lucky.  However, if they too are guilty of having a go at other posters, I suppose they will expect the same.  Two wrongs don''t make a right however and we can only hope that things will calm down a bit.

Hear, hear Eddie.I''ve been steering clear of even reading this board for the second half of this week for the depressingly negative atmosphere that seems to have decended and the growing personal attacks by the increasingly vociferous Worthy-Out brigade.For the record, I think that unless there is a clear action plan for a post-Worthy Carrow Road, sacking the manager can only have a negative effect. And whilst the team continue to hover in a mid-table position and the dressing room remains on his side, the least the manager deserves is a chance to show what he can do once he has a fully fit squad again.But anyhow, that wasn''t really what this post was about.Perhaps when they are challenged by others, Dicky and AT should just re-post some of their more in-depth comments on why Worthy should stay that they have left previously.

Crazy, you are so right.

For a while now the board has been full of threads that start with promise of debate and degenerate into petty insult throwing. The post that you refer to isn''t one to be proud of.

However, there are noters, I name no names, for whom reasoned debate doesn''t seem worthwhile. The proverbial one-line retort that adds nothing to a discussion seems to be the repeated recourse.

As to your point about keeping the faithers - the phrase keeping the faith has become synonymous with supporting Worthy come hell or high water. As ZLF and others have so frequently pointed out, everyone of us is a City fan who wants the best for the club and for those who don''t appear to be keeping the faith there is obviously a gulf between what they see on the field of play and their expectations for the team/club.

Even if City were top of the division at the moment there would still be those questioning the manager and the team, highlighting the negatives. That is simply because they believe that the negatives can be fixed to make a stronger Norwich City. Unfortunately, there appear to be far too many negatives at the moment that have not been addressed for a lengthy period - from our last promotion season in fact.

A little moderation from all posters would be appreciated. AND a little more reasoned fighting for your beliefs would certainly help discussions. We aren''t all going to agree but we can at least agree to argue, constructively, our points of view.

Yeah, the place does have the air of a witch hunt about it just lately.Its got a bit much when new posts are started to single out one poster (Dicky in this case)

I agree with pretty much all of that Eddie. I rarely post on this board anymore as I''m embarrassed by some of the juvenile antics and petty mud slinging. I''m as much a fan as anyone else on here and am disappointed with our current position as well but we need to stick together.

When the liverpool fan posted on here a few days ago asking about our chances of going up I cringed at what his opinion of us must be, throwing hissy fits like spoiled teenagers( apologies to any spoiled teenagers who post on here) is getting very dull I''m afraid, and what makes it worse is that, it has recently emerged, that players read this board too, what they think of this cross section of "loyal fans" god alone knows.

Supporting a football team is like marriage (kind of) it''s for richer and poorer, in sickness and in health, till death us do part. So, to all the moaners, get a divorce, theres plenty of other successful bandwagons you can jump on.

Morty, you were going so well there ''til the last line.

It''s not a successful bandwagon that the "moaners" are looking for, it''s success for the club that has captured their hearts already, the bandwagon that we''re all part of, from now until doomsday.

You use the marriage analogy, but if your wife continually let you down would you just ignore it and say "Well she was really nice before" or would you want to do something about it? Your choice, your life.

We all know there''s something wrong, but we all have differing opinions about what should be done.

The one thing that unites us is that all the comments are made in the hope that Norwich City can get back to winning ways, and make us all feel better.

Personally insulting anyone is a bad thing. Unless it''s Big Fat Joe.

If the people that are the subject of this supposed ''witch-hunt'' had the good grace to support their point of view with reasoned argument or genuine debate, then I''d agree with you.

However, they adopt the ''grenade'' approach, whereby they throw in an inflammatory comment (usually a one-liner) with the intent of winding people up, then don''t back it up with any constructive line of reasoning whatsoever. Is it any wonder that people react to thiswith disrepect?  To use an expression included in one of the previous posts attacking these tactics, "if you live by the sword, you die by the sword''!      

[quote]I have to say the last few days I have been ashamed to be a part of this message board. What I refer to is the treatment of posters such as Dicky and Always Travelling who of late have been subjected ...[/quote]

Oh dear. Yet more "keep the faith" codswaddle. Regardless of what it is, and what it means, to some it represents some shield of protection for Nigel that means any thoughts of (justified) criticism are unwarranted.

Our job is supporting this football club - we don''t support Nigel Worthington, we support the football club. Criticism of the regime when it is justified is a part of supporting this football club.

We criticise because we know we can do better; we can play better football, we can score better goals, we can do better.

No one has criticised them for their views and support of Worthington. The point people have been getting at is that most of their posts are 1 liners that don''t add to debate what so ever. If you are against people insulting people on here you should have a word with the people you seem to be defending. Why do they have the write to make 1 line replies that just make out the original comment is coming from a binner. We''re all Norwich City supporters and just because people want Worthy out because they feel it would benefit the club doesn''t mean their a binner. Double standards I think are at work here. I don''t think anyone has given them the sort of treatment that they''ve given people like me just because I say we''d be better off with out Worthy, just friendly banter about their lack of an argument.

[quote]Oh dear. Yet more "keep the faith" codswaddle. Regardless of what it is, and what it means, to some it represents some shield of protection for Nigel that means any thoughts of (justified) criticism a...[/quote]

You''ve completely missed my point, at no point during my ''codswaddle'' as you so gratiously put it did I say which shouldn''t criticise, although I will add that criticism should be constructive and I have seen a lot of people slag off Worthy without taking the time to offer alternative and encouraging suggestions.

Oh, and I will just mention that whilst some might question the mentality of those who post ''one-liners'' at least they are not making a pathetic mockery of the managers name like ''worthless''. Straight out of the playground.

[quote]No one has criticised them for their views and support of Worthington. The point people have been getting at is that most of their posts are 1 liners that don''t add to debate what so ever. If you are ...[/quote]

Is this the sort of friendly banter you are refering to?

"I don''t know why but it seems to be those that are backing the manager blindly who only manage these sort of comments. I know there are those who give a valid argument for keeping him in the job and well done for make a valuable contribution. So how come reDickylous and allwayslookingforexcuses can''t seem to do this. Is it because you are too thick to come up with more than one insulting line, which I doubt is this case. Or is it because you know that most of those saying we should remove Worthington from the job and making good contribution to that argument are infact correct?"

Another who seems not to have thoroughly read my post before replying to it. I mention names when I say there have been personal attacks and those I mention, dicky and allways travelling... or reDickylous and allwayslookingforexcuses as you call them have not been to me synonimous with slagging people off or wantonly calling people binners. Yet someone recently saw fit to devote a whole thread to laying in to Dicky and I find it shameful such a post should receive even one reply. I would hope more could be as measured in their views and as encouraging, positive and supportive as Dicky, Always Travelling and Amerillo to name a few, certainly to my mind they are never abusive (without provocation) and so certainly do not deserve such treatment in return.

Oh dear. Have you not read mine? When relating to their intelligence I said I doubted it was because they were too thick to write decent comments. All I want is for them to write a post that argues their case rather than just a pathetic 1 line post. A bit like this thread, pathetic. I''ve had to take insults because of what I''ve said about the management from people like you yet once it turns round you start threads like these. If you can''t take it, don''t dish it out!

[quote]Oh dear. Have you not read mine? When relating to their intelligence I said I doubted it was because they were too thick to write decent comments. All I want is for them to write a post that argues th...[/quote]

If anyone can find an example of me hurling abuse at any member of the ''Worthy out'' camp I invite them to quote it here.

I''m happy for you that in defense of yourself you''ve managed to call this thread pathetic, a sound argument indeed. To some at least my point seems clear. And what precisely is your point? This thread is in defense of those being made to take abuse who are NOT dishing it out.

Now if you''ll excuse me, I have a team to support.