Sign in to follow this  
Dr Greenthumb

Van Wolfswinkel

I really hope we get shot of him just so we don''t have to go through this ''give him a chance, he can''t be any worse'' crap we get every single summer.

There is plenty of evidence that he is shite can we please just accept it and move on?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Indeed and whilst we''re giving RVW yet another chance (he has failed to set the World on fire whilst on loan) we deny the possibility of either a youngster getting a sniff of the first team squad or of us signing a lower league ''gem'' that might make a scoring impact next season. It is a place in the squad after all and I would prefer others to be in the reckoning, whoever they might be. Our marquee signing this Summer needs to be a striker, with a.n. other from somewhere or other as well. The thought of Ricki lining up for the yellows next season fills me with the kind of despondency that thoughts of Championship mediocrity do.[/quote]

I''m not losing any sleep over that one.  I think RVW has about as good a chance as me of playing for City in the championship next season.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Indeed and whilst we''re giving RVW yet another chance (he has failed to set the World on fire whilst on loan) we deny the possibility of either a youngster getting a sniff of the first team squad or of us signing a lower league ''gem'' that might make a scoring impact next season.

It is a place in the squad after all and I would prefer others to be in the reckoning, whoever they might be.

Our marquee signing this Summer needs to be a striker, with a.n. other from somewhere or other as well. The thought of Ricki lining up for the yellows next season fills me with the kind of despondency that thoughts of Championship mediocrity do.[/quote]Eh?..yet  another chance?..he is not even back in training yet...and whats all this guff about its a place in the squad?..City never bothered about giving him a squad place last year did they?...or the year before that?. No need to worry about anything, we are filling squad places with the likes of Michael Turner, and  looks possible Feyenoord will sign him, maybe we may even get 1 Euro transfer fee for Ricky.

I keep trying to think of creative ways we can get our moneys worth out of him, here are a few of my ideas;

The Wolf - use him to scare away pests from Carrow Road, like they do with the hawk at Wimbledon.

Feed the Wolf? Fed by Wolf! - Could he be the answer to cold sausage rolls? He looks like he could run quick - might be the answer of getting them from Delia''s ovens to hungry punters!

Agent Wolfswinkel - Instigate him undercover ala Agent Keane style at a rival football club to coach their strikers.

In seriousness I wish the lad well, but his career has been totally destroyed by an attempt to move into English football to the point where, from what I gather, a move to his former club broke down because the wages he is on with us were much higher than they were willing to match. Never going to play for us again.

I appreciate that this thread is about RVW and not Naismith but re Naismith being a proven, I have to disagree to a certain extent. In his first 3 seasons with Everton, he played 31 matches each time and scored 4,5 and 6 goals respectively. This is in an attacking Everton team with plenty of quality around him.

Last season, his only goals for Everton came all in one match and we all know how poor he was for us. Without checking the stats fully, I would also hazard a guess that a lot of these appearances were from the bench, as he wasn''t deemed good enough to start regularly, which eventually came to a head last season.

I would think the championship is probably his level to be a consistent attacking force but I would argue that he''s not really a proven premier league player, which I why I was amazed when we spent such a vast sum on him.

One thing is clear and that is that we paid far too much for both of them.

Thus far our return for the £16-17m outlay (plus high wages) has been minimal.

With very little hope of recovering much of the cost of RVW we now have to hope that Naismith is capable of playing a significant and decisive part in a successful season for the Club and therefore give us a decent return for our money.

The main point is that it is highly likely, IMO, that we will reach those levels of outlay and perhaps more in this Summer ... probably on a marquee signing striker. Let''s hope that better judgement and better luck prevails.

With a bit of money in the bank, parachutes and quite a bit to come in from two likely sales of players we are relatively well off by Championship standards, even so a club like Norwich cannot afford another high-cost flop.

The Citehs, the Chelseas, the Manchester Unitedsetc. can, the likes of NCFC cannot.

A decent investment and the renaissance of Naismith will be a step in the right direction.

The fact Naismith played so many games in the Prem for Everton tells you enough. You''re not going to see RVW playing for a club of that stature at that level.

"Feyenoord have signed Danish international Nicolai Jorgensen from FC Copenhagen. The 25-year-old striker passed a medical on Friday afternoon before signing a five-year deal with the club."

Can we remember RVW was bought as a striker, Naismith as an attacking midfielder.

Out of curiosity how long does RVW have left on his contract?

If RVW only has 12 months remaining n his contract we should give him a squad number & get him playing him in the Championship. Physically he''s no more lightweight than Jamie Vardy (albeit a tad slower), so he should be fine...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]If RVW only has 12 months remaining n his contract we should give him a squad number & get him playing him in the Championship. Physically he''s no more lightweight than Jamie Vardy (albeit a tad slower), so he should be fine...[/quote]I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking !

We have to get back up straight away as a matter of urgency, the finances dictate that.

There''s no time to ''experiment'' with RVW and the prospect of him may be being useful in the Chumps.

Cut our losses. Get rid asap.

Van Wolfswinkel has failed for three consecutive seasons, in three different countries.

About time some just admitted he''s just plainly not good enough.

Tear up his contract or try and get a fee, but just get rid regardless.

''''Physically he''s no more lightweight than Jamie Vardy (albeit a tad slower), so he should be fine...

''''I can''t tell if you''re being serious or not. The difference between Vardy and Ricky isn''t just a bit of pace, Vardy is a footballer. RVW has failed to make an impression in England, France or the far less physical Spanish league.Not to mention the fact that ''the Championship is not the stage for Rickey''s talents'' or whatever his agent was saying a couple of years ago.Even if he did stick around I doubt he''d get ahead of Morris, Ashley-Seal and Lafferty, let alone Jerome and Naismith.