Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Your hopes for the new season

Consistently top 8 from November, into the Top 6 by January and top 2 by May.

A freshened up attacking unit with midfield and attack linked effectively.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Consistently top 8 from November, into the Top 6 by January and top 2 by May.[/quote]Or you will drink a pint of your own pi$$ ? [;)]

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Lord no. But if Ricky gets 5 goes for us I will clap like a seal with a turd in each hand.[/quote]May i suggest on the steps of the Forum and just for the ladies......naked. [:$]

Has anyone heard any reliable, I repeat RELIABLE, news about Jonny Howson''s intentions? I rate him as our most consistent performer so my hope is that he will stay.

[quote user="GJP"]Having been in the Prem for 4 of the last 5 seasons we should be looking to go straight back up.

Finishing outside the top 6 would be failure.[/quote] Yes, we''ve been in the Prem for 4 of the last 5 seasons -- and are now back in the Championship. What this tells me is that we have never been anything but ill-equipped for long-term survival in the top league. What makes people think an immediate return this coming season will be any different? Is there any reason to think it would be? We are all agreed on the aim: establishing ourselves in the EPL. The debate should be about the best means to achieve it. Is an immediate return actually the best way to reach that goal?

For those concerned with the financial health of the Club nothing short of an immediate return has to be the main aim, with promotion the year after being vital if we should fail the first time of asking.

We have two years of parachute payments to use to our advantage.

If we fail then we will inevitably be entrenched amidst the host of Championship clubs who regularly make an annual loss. The big difference between NCFC and and many of the others is that they have increasingly attracted wealthier owners than us, so the dreaded Championship mediocrity would be inevitable.

We made a loss the last time we were in the Championship, but apparently this was mainly due to the large bonuses paid out for gaining promotion.

Even if we should again yo-yo we will have gained financially beneficial breathing space, having benefited from the large television pay out for a season and we will have gained another year of parachutes.

The concept of being currently ''too good for the Championship'' but ''not good enough for the Premier League'' which applies to many of our squad is not a disaster for the Club as whole, being infinitely better than the sixteen consecutive years in the second tier that our immediate rivals have experienced, with a corresponding loss of support, a transfer budget of minute proportions and turgid survival football.

It''ll be huge season, but mostly for those off the pitch. At the other end of the spectrum to the oft-quoted "4 in 5" is the fact that come next May we''ll have spend 14 of the preceeding 19 seasons out of the top flight.They''re similar ratios, but the latter is over a far more statistically significant period and isn''t something that''s cherry-picked to support a particular viewpoint.We did well to come back from the brink a few years ago, but have largely failed to capitalise on our recent 4 years in the top flight. It''ll take some doing to revive the club but I feel we''ve left it too late to avoid our fate, ie several years in the Championship.The situation isn''t completely analagous, but we''re roughly back to

where we were in 2005, with ominous signs of stagnation and lack of

direction: re-signing of over-the-hill players, allowing agents to negotiate player sales, getting an expensive management consultancy (with little football experience) to find a new CEO, tales of disharmony etc.The recently departed Chief Exec and Chairman were but two in a series of senior non-playing staff to have left their jobs in recent years. It''s my view that they bailed out after it became clear that they were going to fail to fulfill their original aim of NCFC becoming an established Premier League club.It wasn''t too long ago that both McNally and Bowkett were geniuses, the last relegation was merely a temporary blip. In the case of McNally, his departure was like a cry for help, like a man on the edge who wanted to be caught. With the benefit of hindsight lots of fans much surely be kicking themselves for falling for the PR and groupthink, prefering to ignore or explain away the clues as a way to avoid facing an unpleasant truth.I''m not sure that Ed Balls or Tom Smith are experienced or suited to parachuting into a fraught situation where such a massive turnaround job has to be performed. All in all there''s a general lack of evidence that the current regime

have got any kind of plan and are busy changing for the better. My fear is that we''ll trundle along as before and Alex Neil will end up carrying the can one way or another.I hope I''m wrong on the above, and I hope we manage to institute a genuine recovery. But I''m not holding my breath.

I can''t help but feel that some of the (understandable) thoughts that things are not very positive at the moment are necessarily going to be reflected this season.   AN is still a strong character and has his first full season with us in a league where he can return to his all out high pressing game.  Our squad is stronger than last time we were in the Championship (imo) and with the influx of young players who will have more opportunities this season and the addition of one or two new players in the form of a striker and a central defender, we are in as strong a position as ever to do well.

build on a good championship squad by adding CB and striker with players who have already shown talent at this level and who may be able to step up to the prem next season, expensive but worth it.

A shake up of the playing squad; we have had the same core for far too long and it looks comfortable, at the same time aiming to lower the average starting age without compromising ability.

Bare minimum is a play off spot but pushing for auto promotion; ideally in the top 8 consistently through the season, clearly finishing higher.

The manager committing himself on his preferred style of play (4141, high energy, high press & pace) and getting players to suit that instead of having to do with players who are unable to deliver his game plan to the standard required.

Improving players fitness levels - too many seem unable to last 90 mins - perhaps excusable for the wessiah but unacceptable in the rest.

Would be disappointed if we don''t get promoted, simply put. A bonus would be seeing some of our youth break through to the first team.