lake district canary

Your hopes for the new season

Early days, I know, but the players are back for pre-season next week -

and the positivity has to be there from the outset.  My main concern is

to wonder if the impetus for bouncing back is as strong as it was last

time?   The momentum shifted last time from almost total negativity with

Hughton, to total positivity with the appointmemt of Adams, which

carried us to the top initially, with the input of AN carrying us the

rest of the way.  That positive outlook was there from the start that we should try and bounce straight back and by hook or by crook, we did it.  This time feels different (from here at any rate) but do others feel the same?  Enthusiasm for trying to do the same as we did last time is difficult - after all it''s only just over a year ago we were at Wembley and the euphoria there - and we have to try and go through all that again, only one season later.   It''s not helped by the loss of McNally''s positivity and strong leadership.  The onus on the manager is therefore stronger than it was last time and while he is up to the task, he has a bit of a job rebuilding, especially with the farcical transfer window and not knowing who''s staying and who is going running in to the first few weeks of the season.  That uncertainty itself can upset the best of plans.   AN has a job on his hands, that is for sure. Maybe it will be a season for stabilising the club, with a push for promotion towards the end of the season if things go well.  No expectations of being top in September, or even by Christmas, but a strong and persistent building through the season.  That imo would be the best approach because  the club has seen unprecedented mixture of emotions over the last seven years - from the depths of despair in 2009, to unprecedented euphoria under Lambert, then incredible negativity under Hughton and then the euphoria of promotion again.  Time maybe for a more steady period of emotions and approach, still with promotion as the aim, of course.  That would be my hope, because expectations of instant success can easily be disappointed. It''s where we are in May that counts, not August. 

Can''t have cause to be realistically positive or negative until we see what activity takes place during the window.

My instinct tells me that the window will be a disappointing one.

It seems that, at this moment in time we are only going to lose Nathan Redmond and Probably Robbie Brady.

My first hope is that it stays this way .... but you never know.

If so, we will surely be strong contenders as long as we get the striker (s) right this time around.

I believe that our hopes of success will rest mainly upon this factor.

The purchase of RVW cost us dearly under Hughton, whilst last season''s main striking input also failed to set the scoreboard ticking over sufficiently enough for us to avoid the drop.

I rated Mbokani a lot, but in the end his time at Carrow Road can be summed up as just another (very) expensive flop.

Our biggest single outlay should be on a striker surely, with another to back this us.

Another decent central defender and perhaps a wide (winger?) mid-fielder to replace NR and we should be fine. Although stretching it a bit perhaps another defensive midfielder might be handy.

I would hope for a consistent place in the top six should the above evolve.

If after ten games we are floundering I would hope for a change of manager.

I have to admit I''m still a bit low from last season. Probably that comes from the fact that I haven''t had confidence that AN is the right man for the job for several months now.

We could do with a couple of decent signings in the right areas (up front and centre back) that show we are addressing those long standing problems at last. There is also some dead wood that could benefit with a fresh start elsewhere. Getting new blood in and a good start and I''m sure the season can progress positively.

Relegation can be a real downer for fans and players and a poor transfer window and a sluggish start can be difficult to overcome so a lot of work for AN to do, getting the players up and positive before the season starts

I think AN has a harder job now than the one he originally came into.
We will be competing with some good teams, and you''d have to see Newcastle as obvious favourites for the title. I think it will be play-off lottery for us again, hopefully coming out on top.
Of course, it''s hard to say where our expectations should be until we see what players are leaving. Say, despite the unlikelihood that we keep everyone, it would have to be deeemed a failure for us not to get promoted.

We still have 10 of the 11 who started at Wembley. The main problem is replacing Redmond and probably Brady.

Jarvis and Naismith should be top players at this level.

Klose I would try to loan out as this is the only way we will keep him long term.

Perhaps we could play three centre backs, with the ability of Pinto and Olsson.

We should be ok but if we lose the manager we are in big trouble. We could end up with another Roeder.

why loan klose out if he is happy to play ??

my main hope is to find out once and for all if AN is good enough

now i have my doubts about AN but i really would like him to prove himself to be the manager that many think he will become

would be fantastic to have a long term manager at the club to build his team and just add a few players each year and grow into a PL main stay team like a WBA stoke etc

so my hope is to find out if AN is good enough and if the coaches can in fact improve some youngsters into first team players

if not we have come full circle and hope we act faster this time

My main hope is of consolidation - I would be very surprised if we were challenging for promotion. There are some very good teams who have assembled expensive squads, and we lack the finance to buy for immediate challenge, even with proceeds of sale of Redmond (and possibly Brady.)

I hope for top 8, and with some astute signings over the next 18 months and be challenging for promotion in 2018.

We have invested in some highly promising youngsters, and I expect us to reap benefits in the near future.

Klose may go the same way Dean Ashton went or even Helveg, when his national manager would not play him if he stayed with us.

Either way if he starts, I don''t think he''ll stay past the next window.

Having been in the Prem for 4 of the last 5 seasons we should be looking to go straight back up.

Finishing outside the top 6 would be failure.

"Having been in the Prem for 4 of the last 5 seasons we should be looking to go straight back up.

Finishing outside the top 6 would be failure."

Agreed and all aspects of the Club''s hierarchy should be brought into question if we not achieve this.

Promotion , anything less will be failure , i keep reading Villa are confident they can sign Brady , that is one transfer that must not be allowed to happen .

Things seems a bit sterile right now; very few facts on which to base any opinion. I expect Brady & Redmond will go, but hope we''ll secure some defensive talent plus a dependable striker or two.

We''ve bucket-load of midfielders & can easily lose a few of those.

The ''feel-good'' factor needs to be evident from the first game if we''re to nail a top-two auto place over 46 games. Right now, we hardly look buoyant do we?

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Promotion , anything less will be failure , i keep reading Villa are confident they can sign Brady , that is one transfer that must not be allowed to happen .[/quote]

There is no way we will sell Brady to Villa, but £20m for him and Redmond should mean we can keep everyone else in the same way that Snodgrass and Fer did last time.

I fully expect us to finish second to Newcastle. Promotion is the only response. Naismith and Klose will be the two best players in the league and well worth their massive salaries.

And I haven''t yet given up on Mbokani coming back. Money talks.

But I still think Pinto will be POS.

I don''t think Brady would want to go to Villa, nor would we be sensible to sell him to there, when PL sides will undoubtedly be sniffing around - I suppose it could happen but would cost them a lot. I still think we''ll have a not dissimilar close season to 2014, where a couple will go for a decent (undisclosed, obviously) sum and we''ll see a largely balanced (or net income) spend. Holding on to Klose and Howson is IMO more crucial than either of Brady and Redmond, but no one is irreplaceable.

As for how we''ll fare, a decent start could be crucial to shake off our post-Christmas wobbles - if that happens as it should, we ought to be there or thereabouts.

After selling our best player for a bargain basement price of £11m it would be beyond farcical to sell Brady to a promotion rival. How about keeping our best players and off-loading the likes of Turner, Martin, Lafferty, RvW and Whiitaker to name but five.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]After selling our best player for a bargain basement price of £11m it would be beyond farcical to sell Brady to a promotion rival. How about keeping our best players and off-loading the likes of Turner, Martin, Lafferty, RvW and Whiitaker to name but five.[/quote]
Oddly enough it''s easier to sell your best players than the one''s you deem not good enough (not that I agree with your list, anyway).
Also with a year on his contract i''d have liked 15 mill, but 11 mill isn''t quite bargain basement.

Top 6, double over Ipswich is an absolute must and a clear tactical approach and playing philosophy that suits our players becoming clear and I''d be over the moon. AN is two for two in play off''s. I''d fancy us so I''m not too concerned with the top 2.

I don''t believe there are even 4 sides better equipped than us this year so finishing outside the play offs would be a complete failure.

This we''ll finish 5th or 6th and squeeze through the play offs again :D

A few things...

Firstly I want to see a sensible, well structured transfer window. If we''re selling players get it sorted swiftly and reinvest the money. Don''t strengthen our promotion rivals- if Brady goes to Villa it will be a disgrace. Address the obvious positions of weakness (upfront and centre back) while moving on a few of our over the hill backups.

Sort out MD situation.

Involve the youth team players- the Murphy''s, Thompson and Maddison.

Develop an actual strategy and team identity.

Challenge for promotion. If we''re not in the playoffs in December then it is time for AN to go.

It surely depends on what the owners, and the board, want for the club, how much they are reared to back AN, and how badly they themselves want to see us back in the premiership.

If they don''t I expect to see an exodus of players like Redmond, Brady, Klose, Howson and a few more.

If they too are looking at a top two finish and automatic promotion then I would expect at least two of those above to stay, and several new players signed to make that possible.

I hope for promotion and also that we give the team a bit of time to get used to being back in the Championship and needing to win nearly every game!+ hope that fans start with a clean sheet for some of the players that had up and down seasons last year but could be crucial to us next year.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]After selling our best player for a bargain basement price of £11m it would be beyond farcical to sell Brady to a promotion rival. How about keeping our best players and off-loading the likes of Turner, Martin, Lafferty, RvW and Whiitaker to name but five.[/quote]I am confused, or have not been paying attention. Who have we sold this summer for £11m?

Klose as captain.

Promotion chieved as champions.

Ip5w1ch relegated as sh1te b1nn3rs.