Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Vardy signs new contract with Leicester

Very interested to see this on the BBC website, and I think it''s a good sign of how the money side of football is changing that Leicester have been able to keep him despite Arsenal making an offer to trigger the release clause in his contract.

When the Arsenal offer was reported, I said I was dubious about it from his perspective.  Apparently they were offering him £120k per week, and Leicester have come up with £100k per week (=£5m per year) on a four-year deal.

Could anyone imagine a few years back that a club like Leicester could financially compete with Arsenal for a player in any circumstances ?

It points to the diminishing returns for the big clubs from the money they have to spend.  If a club offer you a contract worth £20m, and another makes an offer worth £25m, you''re going to look at the big picture first, not just take the bigger money offer.

Yes.

Your first paragraph was especially true and amounted to a statement of fact that the increased television money is evening things out and swinging things away from the advantages that have long been enjoyed by the big boys.

Leicester also have a lucrative Champions League involvement though so perhaps they are not the best example.

We NEED to get back up there asap with sensible risk taking if necessary. To those who say we need a few seasons of re-building in the Chumps I say that each season in that league will result us slipping further into that quicksand.

Things are changing fast, we need to be in on the action.

Anything short of a quick return means failure for our management team and a need for our Club/Support to vocally aspire to new ownership, whatever risk that involves.

As much as I have always been a Deliaphile, enough will be enough should we bomb next season. Besides this latest "Let''s be ''aving EU" tee-sheet indicates to me a lady wallowing in some mis-concepted self-importance.

Retire with grace old gal.

Vardy''s decision tells me far more about the player than anything else. He''s turned down a huge opportunity and ducked out of an exciting challenge. He may be only 20,000 a week less well off in monetary terms but in footballing terms, as a player, he is diminished. 

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Vardy''s decision tells me far more about the player than anything else. He''s turned down a huge opportunity and ducked out of an exciting challenge. He may be only 20,000 a week less well off in monetary terms but in footballing terms, as a player, he is diminished. [/quote]

Or it may be he''s taken the view Arsenal are no more likely to win the Prem next season than they have for the last 12 or whatever years.  I think you need to take off your red-tinted specs if you think Arsenal is a "huge opportunity" for a player who''s just won the league title.

I agree with you on that one West Coast. Yes, Leicester have just won the title and Arsenal may not be able to win it next year, but there is no doubt that Arsenal ARE a bigger club, have far greater global regard and have, man for man, better players. It strikes me that he is satisfied being the big fish in a small pond rather than risk the reputation that is getting him a holywood film by going to a global club and not succeeding.

I''d have gone.

"I played for Leicester and Arsenal" will always sound better than "I played for Leicester".

Wenger doesn''t normally bid for finished articles (Cech being pretty much the only recent exception I can think of). He bids for talented players he believes can become even better by playing at Arsenal, whether they are promising youngsters like Bellerin or international stars like Sanchez and Ozil. The fact that Leicester won the title last year and Vardy already has a winner''s medal would be irrelevant to a player looking to become the very best he can. Are Mahrez and Kante content to bask in last season''s glory and pocket a bit more money? I doubt it.

I have no idea why he''s made the decision.

But I''m guessing he''s decided a move to Arsenal wouldn''t help him to "become the very best he can..."

Hey - he''s only a very experienced professional footballer, what does he know about it.

Anyway, some posters clearly have an opinion about the current greatness of Arsenal football club (and Wenger as a coach), which I, and apparently Vardy, don''t share, so nothing more to say really.  You pays your money...

Only my opinion but I think he is the best he can be, had his one great season and will not reach that level again.Sensibly took the four year deal for £20 million which will take him to 34 and a happy retirement.A tenner to the PUP`s fund if he scores the same number or more in the league next season than he did this season

Maybe he doesn''t trust wenger with what is left of his career ? He''s just as likely to get some hopeless french striker in and keep vardy on the bench as he is to play him, lucid podolski, the ox and Walcott hardly progressed did they? I don''t think he will regret it.

This is a Norwich fans website to talk about Norwich not Leicester we are all entitled to our opinion

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Vardy''s decision tells me far more about the player than anything else. He''s turned down a huge opportunity and ducked out of an exciting challenge. He may be only 20,000 a week less well off in monetary terms but in footballing terms, as a player, he is diminished. [/quote]I suspect if it were Norwich instead of Leicester, your opinion would be different. Is Hucks diminished for staying with us?

Paid 100k per week to be the star of the Leicester team, have a stab at Champions League with the team mates you earned that right with, and for a manager who plays you every week and builds the team around you and your playing strengths with an owner who treats you like a star, where you''re allowed to run your own fitness regime.

Or

Paid 20K more to be another player in a big squad of players and most likely warm the bench for large periods, play in the Champions League, perhaps, if you''re picked, play for a manger who has come out and said you wouldn''t be a nailed on starter, in a team that doesn''t suit your playing style.

Hmm...

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="westcoastcanary"]Vardy''s decision tells me far more about the player than anything else. He''s turned down a huge opportunity and ducked out of an exciting challenge. He may be only 20,000 a week less well off in monetary terms but in footballing terms, as a player, he is diminished. [/quote]I suspect if it were Norwich instead of Leicester, your opinion would be different. Is Hucks diminished for staying with us?[/quote] Suspect you may NS, but you are wrong. I''d say exactly the same. As regards Hucks, there''s really no comparison. By the time he signed for us he was not simply in the later stages of his career age-wise but had already had opportunities with the likes of Keegan''s Newcastle, O''Leary''s Leeds, and Man City, without really establishing himself. He didn''t come to us from a Conference side and turn down an opportunity to go on and play for a club like Arsenal.