Sign in to follow this  
Tommo

Holty

Cracking evening with Holty last night and great to finally hear the truth behind him and McNally with the transfer request and the eventual departure from ncfc. Looks in great shape and still got cracking banter really need that kind of character to galvanise the club and get that hunger and winning mentality back for the new campaign.

Essentially he absolutely hated the managerial style of hughton and his tactics which had undone all the years of the attacking style under lambert and the hunger and desire amongst the lads. He went to see McNally at end of season and asked whether hughton would remain in charge. He of course said yes and that he had got more points than lambert. He then told Holty that he isn''t bigger than the club and that he will immediately sell him and very shortly afterwards went to Wigan.

Also shocking how he was treated before and during the transfer request- McNally was a nasty piece of work by all accounts . Holty was told by McNally before any other player and Bryan Gunn himself that Gunn was getting sacked. Unbelievable.

Thanks.  I agree with you from your op that Holty would be great to have around the club again.  Maybe that will be posible now McNally has gone.  I believe he has been doing his coaching badges so there must be a coaching role he could have, after he hangs up his boots.

Yeah he''s definitely up for coaching and even management one day but has ambitions to play for at least one more year. He could be a cracking option off the bench.

Very interesting as well that he almost never signed for us and lambert was interested in him at Colchester ! Gunn had told him board were too concerned about this ankle injury recurring problems to which Holty then spoke to delia and she ultimately made the call to complete the deal

[quote user="Tommo"]Essentially he absolutely hated the managerial style of hughton and his tactics which had undone all the years of the attacking style under lambert and the hunger and desire amongst the lads. He went to see McNally at end of season and asked whether hughton would remain in charge. He of course said yes and that he had got more points than lambert. He then told Holty that he isn''t bigger than the club and that he will immediately sell him and very shortly afterwards went to Wigan.

Also shocking how he was treated before and during the transfer request- McNally was a nasty piece of work by all accounts . Holty was told by McNally before any other player and Bryan Gunn himself that Gunn was getting sacked. Unbelievable.[/quote][:^)]For the benefit of those that thought he was God,walked on water and could do no wrong.As someone very senior at the club told me recently'' it will all come out what was happening''.

After hearing stories of how McNally treated people, I must agree that he seems a nasty piece of work.

The assessment by Holty of Hughton seems spot on as well.

The coaching badges that Holty has to have will be incidental as he looks a born manager. His influence at the club, as captain, showed that.

One day people, in all levels of the game, will realise the massive difference between coaches (however well qualified they are) and managers.

Agree he will make an excellent manager with true man management motivational skills.

McNally is a first class clown - when Holty wanted to discuss new contract (and to be fair after everything he had done he had earned the right ) McNally had said that he had an important board meeting so couldn''t meet with him. It turned out the pillock was at Lords watching the cricket - totally disrespectful. When it broke on sky sports he had handed in a transfer request he was incredibly abusive on the phone and said he would get rid of him. Changed his mind but then made him wait for weeks for new contract despite promising it straight away.

Also appears that McNally was mostly ok the booze as well and rarely sober !

Good riddance to McNally I have well and truly concluded

You know all this how exactly ? McNally wasn''t the nicest but he was dead right in that no player is bigger than the club. Embellishing Holts version of events to make McNally look worse ?

I struggle with the idea that the CEO should be a lovely bloke (or woman) who gets on with everyone and gives then what they want. I would take quite a lot of ruthlessness in that role. What would be a problem, and people do seem to hint at this, is a sense of self-importance that means little delegation and an over-reliance on one person.And is it right that Holt has moved back to Norfolk with his family, or are they still in Cumbria?

The CEO should do what is needed to get the job done, be it nice or nasty, and no player was, is, and never should be, bigger than the club. IMO McNally was good for us in various ways, particularly for where we were when he came in, but it certainly does seem as though he had run his course and leaving was best for the club.

Getting involvement from guys like Holt - and the likes of Eadie, Hucks etc - who have a feeling for the club, is never a bad idea, but you have to be wary of a Gunn/Adams situation....

So we are wayyyyy past those halcyon days where all the good decisions were McNally and the bad ones were the cook''s

If we still want to play that game we could put the good down to the man from mulbarton .......

[quote user="Tommo"]Very interesting as well that he almost never signed for us and lambert was interested in him at Colchester ! Gunn had told him board were too concerned about this ankle injury recurring problems to which Holty then spoke to delia and she ultimately made the call to complete the deal[/quote]Why didn''t Holt approach Delia about his new contract then if she always made the decisions, instead of McNally who, according to you, was always pissed?

McNally was a greatly disliked person by a lot of people at the club, that has been made pretty obvious since he left. I would just like to say though that Holty was far from an angel! He was at times a very disruptive person at the club, the transfer request being just one example. However I still regard Holty in a much higher level of respect than that of our now ex-CEO.

[quote user="Tommo"]Very interesting as well that he almost never signed for us and lambert was interested in him at Colchester ! Gunn had told him board were too concerned about this ankle injury recurring problems to which Holty then spoke to delia and she ultimately made the call to complete the deal[/quote]From ''Tales from the City''"But the medical was the problem. I''d broken my toe and just had an ankle operation.........we had to hang around while people talked about my ankle and toe. On the third day, I was up at the Colney training ground and said to Bryan "I can''t sit in the Holiday Inn for another three days or hang around the training ground. Shrewsbury have started their pre-season and, I need to be training."He said "There''s still an issue with the ankle. The club are not sure." I said, "Look. This has to be my last day in Norwich. I either go back to Shresbury and say I faile me medical or you get it done today".So I think he spoke to Delia and Michael and they decided to go ahead despite whatever the medical had said. Delia told me later that her mum, Etty, had watched me in the play off-final on TV and wanted Norwich to sign me"There are some subtle differences in the two accounts, it just goes to show how these transfers can be very tricky. Was it ''people'' or the ''board'' who were concerned about the ankle and did Holt speak to Delia or did Gunny talk to Delia (Grant saya he thinks Gunn did) and did she make the call?

Have to say, after watching Keane for Ireland in the Euro''s (Robbie before anyone gets the wrong idea) - I think handing Holt a one year contract with the view of having him as a coach after wouldn''t be a bad idea.

Sometimes it''s handy to have leadership in the dressing room as well as on the pitch. Sure he''d still have something to give us.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Thanks LOS

So we have a solution that may even be palatable in Bury.

Bad = Delia

Good = Delia''s mum.

:)[/quote]At least we know who is doing all the scouting and player assessment now.

Yes, I did laugh when I conjured up a mental picture of Etty Smith watching the matches with a pen and notepad.I think that Etty Smith''s Pinkun login name is Tom Cavendish.

Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 25/06/2016 12:13 PM:

I heard the man from Mulbarton got banned from the boardroom.

Had no qualifications to be in there in the first place.

Interesting.

What qualifications are required?

Something business related? UEFA coaching badges? The Eleven Plus? 25m Swimming? Cub Scout Knot Tying 1?

Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 25/06/2016 7:53 PM:

Interesting.

"What qualifications are required?

Something business related? UEFA coaching badges? The Eleven Plus? 25m Swimming? Cub Scout Knot Tying 1? "

How about skills knowledge and experience at the highest level?

Well, not necessarily. More to add that top level experience and knowledge to the 20 years experience Delia has of running a top level football club.

The proposition of working for/with such people must be hugely attractive and a real draw for any applicant after the CE role vacated by McNally.