Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

England v Iceland

Rooney, a well struck penalty then a total turd for the rest of the match. I don''t want to see him in a England shirt again.

I`m trying to remember the last time I saw a side bottle it as badly as England did tonight. Harry Kane (Im not picking on him) took a free kick with about 20 minutes to go and missed by 20 yards, it was an awful effort, the camera panned in on his face and he was gone, he was lost and nearly in tears. Sterling had it, Rooney had it, Walker had it, and others,  that fear in their faces, that look of not having a clue what to do, you could see it in their eyes. Meanwhile on the touchline stood Woy,  no instructions, no shouting, no formation changes, he just stood there stroking his chin as usual, I actually wondered if he was going to get a deckchair to sit in and watch "his" boys run around playing football. £3.5 million a year he is paid by the F.A. which is a scandal, no it`s not a scandal it`s theft, he`s taking money out of the system that would be far better spent on amateur grass roots football. Better spent on people that play for fun and enjoy themselves on a Sunday morning.This was virtually the same team that outplayed Germany and won 3-2 zipping the ball around with one touch quick football and without any fear a few months back and they as a management and coaching team ( 29 of them I think I read) have sucked the confidence out of them.  What has gone wrong with the mental coaching of these players, there was little media pressure, no great expectations of us winning,  fans wanting and willing them to just play without fear of failure and they forgot how to play football. Nobody would have minded if we lost as long as we played some attacking free flowing football.I do wonder if we would be better just picking 11 players, telling them when and where the game is and they just turn up half hour before kick off  like most park sides do. Instructions are, get out there lads and play football. Think of the money that would save on coaches wages and jollies all around Europe "scouting" other teamsRant over, been a crap night.

As I said much early in this tournament .... we have many gifted attacking players in the England team but have a manager who is primarily, and has been all his managerial life, a defensive manager who just does not know how to attack.

No movement, no urgency, no pressure, no flair.

We rely on full backs to provide us width .... or play forwards who are not wingers there. That resulted in nothing, or at least very little, being created. Meanwhile we leave pacy wingers at home.

......... and the European Championships is not the place to introduce an international player into a new position, into a position he hasn''t played for the previous ten years of his career, and hope that he performed. Rooney looked reasonable on the ball but he didn''t know how to defend effectively, didn''t work off the ball enough to create space for others, didn''t make any telling, defence splitting passes, didn''t know when to slow the game down and when to attack at pace ......... and, most worryingly, didn''t produce any attacking surges from midfield.

For Hodgson to have a prepared resignation speech before a match against Iceland shows the level of confidence in himself and consequently the level of confidence he had in his team and must have given to his players.

A Manager who has no idea of his best team

A Manager who changes a winning side

A Manager who plays players out of position

Sounds familiar

[quote user="daly"]A Manager who has no idea of his best team

A Manager who changes a winning side

A Manager who plays players out of position

Sounds familiar[/quote][:-*]

Never mind the 2020 European Championship we will have the semi and final  

The UEFA EURO 2020 hosts in full

Final and semi-finalsEngland/London

Three group games, one quarter-finalAzerbaijan/BakuGermany/MunichItaly/RomeRussia/Saint Petersburg

Three group games, one round of 16 gameBelgium/Brussels Denmark/CopenhagenHungary/BudapestNetherlands/AmsterdamRepublic of Ireland/DublinRomania/BucharestScotland/GlasgowSpain/Bilbao

[quote user="Yellow Wal"]As I said much early in this tournament .... we have many gifted attacking players in the England team but have a manager who is primarily, and has been all his managerial life, a defensive manager who just does not know how to attack.

No movement, no urgency, no pressure, no flair.

We rely on full backs to provide us width .... or play forwards who are not wingers there. That resulted in nothing, or at least very little, being created. Meanwhile we leave pacy wingers at home.

......... and the European Championships is not the place to introduce an international player into a new position, into a position he hasn''t played for the previous ten years of his career, and hope that he performed. Rooney looked reasonable on the ball but he didn''t know how to defend effectively, didn''t work off the ball enough to create space for others, didn''t make any telling, defence splitting passes, didn''t know when to slow the game down and when to attack at pace ......... and, most worryingly, didn''t produce any attacking surges from midfield.

For Hodgson to have a prepared resignation speech before a match against Iceland shows the level of confidence in himself and consequently the level of confidence he had in his team and must have given to his players.[/quote]

We get this time after time after time.  And along come the lesser countries to show us how to do it.  Germany usually get it right.  Italy get it right more often than not.  England ought to get it right, but each time we get a manager, from whatever country, they start acting as if players can be manipulated into all sorts of positions and formations that they are not used to.  Footballers are generally not the brightest sparks and the simpler you can make the tactics, the better - especially at international level where players are thrown together for a tourament or meet every so often in friendlies which are usually counter productive.  Hodgson is a decent bloke, but not up to the job - the players proved they are not good enough to get it right amongst themselves.  A strong manager - a Jackie Charlton type figure would do it - someone who would never have been within a shout of the England job, but a very successful manager for ROI.  Shearer says he would put himself forward for the job.  Not a great Shearer fan, but who knows. All it needs is someone who can put a bit of fire in the bellies of the players and inspire them.   Terry Venables is still managing (even if it is a hotel, but I bet he''s managing it well) - give him another go.   

Delia will find Woy a cushy job here !

director of football with the football board

he will be semi retired and used as a adviser

I''ve been trying to work this "Woy" thing out. Then I got it. It''s because he has a speech impediment isn''t it? That really is bloody funny. Well done everyone.

[quote user="GPB"]I''ve been trying to work this "Woy" thing out. Then I got it. It''s because he has a speech impediment isn''t it? That really is bloody funny. Well done everyone.[/quote]

Speech impediment? that''s a bit cruel to the poor bloke.

More like an accent I think.

How many more times do we blame and change manager before we come to the conclusion the players are inherently a load of bottlers that collapse under the media and fan pressure every time.
We had an easy qualifying period, but under no pressure we won 10 games. As soon as the pressure is turned up a notch they can''t cope.

I don''t understand it - these players cope with massive pressure in the Prem every week.  Last night when we went 2-1 down they were shell-shocked and never recovered.  Players just failing to trap a simple pass from 5 yards, crosses massively overhit, just embarrassing.

Somehow the preparation went badly wrong. It''s not fair to blame it all on the manager but he must shoulder a lot of the blame. At the same time, these players should be able to function at this level - at 2-1 down, we had plenty of time and chances to get back into it.

He should obviously have brought Rashman on early in the 2nd half - he was totally up for it and has the confidence of youth.  Too many of the others were just playing like the walking dead.

Harry Kane has to take credit for some of the worst CF performances i''ve seen for England. It was bordering on funny at times.

It was obvious Kane was going to be rubbish too yet they still insisted on playing him. Who has their supposed first choice striker delivering freekicks when they desperately need a goal?

That and some other decisions (like playing Wilshere) felt like Roy and his staff were just trying to prove points - and failing to do so miserably.

[quote user="GJP"]It was obvious Kane was going to be rubbish too yet they still insisted on playing him. Who has their supposed first choice striker delivering freekicks when they desperately need a goal?

That and some other decisions (like playing Wilshere) felt like Roy and his staff were just trying to prove points - and failing to do so miserably.[/quote]
After the first game it was pretty clear Kane wasn''t going to have a significant impact in this tournament. I don''t really like Vardy but you know he''s going to at least worry defenders with his pace.
Sterling wasn''t as bad as some made out and at least when he played there was a chance of some width in our play. I think England as a group thought they could play through the middle and get through these teams, only to realise that they can''t - not with 11 men behind the ball.
I also completely agree with your comments re Hart. I think he gets a bit of leeway because he''s mr passionate in the tunnel, when he comes out on the field, belts out the national anthem etc but he''s never looked a calming positive influence on our defenders. Forster at least is a big presence. 

These players who wear the England shirt are having it drummed into them how world class they are week in week out in the richest league in the world. Im sure the biggest clubs in Europe could afford them and their obscene wages but nobody wants them! This is yet another wake up call for the FA to look at themselves and how they operate.

Yourself & Yellowbeagle have it right shaunieboy. The Premier League is marketed extremely well across the globe but how many of the marquee players are English? How many of the England squad would be sought out and get their game for Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich? Zero probably. The majority of the England squad is a fairly average group of players in their early twenties who earn ridiculous wages.

This result is embarrassing for England but I don''t think it''s a big shock. Iceland are a solid, compact & settled team with an excellent coach. They played well in the qualifiers and in the group stage. England are over-rated, mainly due to the hype & the fanfare of the EPL. Have a look at the list of who England have actually beaten in the knockout stages of tournaments since 1966. It''s short and unimpressive and illustrates how far behind mainland Europe the coaching standards & youth structures are in England.

Well done to Iceland - they''ll give France a good game although they might have already had their ''big game'' and be spent.

If one, tow or even a few players underperformed you could say that it was the players'' fault. But every single one of them underperformed. To me that has to be the manager and the preparation behind the scenes. The confused looks on the faces, I remember that from Capello days and nothing seems to have changed.

This whole campaign has been concerning, not just the Iceland match. I think there was some serious self delusion going on in the group games where some folk said we played well and had 72% possession or whatever, but as Slaven Bilic said against teams who just defend this is what you expect. We were pretty ordinary in all 3 group games, creating few real clear cut chances- the sort where you think "he has to score". Lots of half chances and glanced headers etc but we created little generally. Against Slovakia we were clueless in those last 20 mins and that was carried forward and exacerbated against Iceland.

Only Kyle Walker, Eric Dier Rooney came out well in the first 3 games and both Walker and Rooney had shockers on Monday. Still don''t understand how Dier was subbed for Wilshire.

This suggests something far more about the culture, set up, and preparation than anything player focussed. What I don''t understand is how it seems to get repeated tournament after tournament.