Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Next England Manager

''Arry Redknapp says that Gareth Southgate is a lovely fella, but "what has he done" (in management terms)? He has won a "Second rate tournament" with England U21-s, and feels that Glenn Hoddle would be a more suitable candidate.

Part of his interview was criticising the FA, and their may be a bit of personal in that, but has he got a point?

He also talks up Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce, as better contenders, but who would you think would make a good choice?

I see everyone''s favourite, Eddie Howe, is in the (betting) frame..................

He''s right on Southgate but his list of contenders is not much better. Allerdyce is solid but boring and I can''t see him taking us far. Bruce must have 3 or 4 relegation''s on his CV at least by now. Glenn Hoddle has been out of work for a decade for a reason.

We need to step away from any of ''Arry''s old boys club- time to look abroad.

When Sven and Capello were around i wanted our nation''s manager to be English but that list containing the likes of Southgate and Pardew has made me turn full circle. [:(]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]When Sven and Capello were around i wanted our nation''s manager to be English but that list containing the likes of Southgate and Pardew has made me turn full circle. [:(][/quote]Now we''re leaving the EU can it be anything but ?Even AN will need a work permit soon..... [;)]

Wait Ive just noticed he is Irish. There are really not many experienced English managers really are there.

This all highlights what a terrible pool of resources we have in terms of domestic managers that Gary Neville and Gareth Southgate even remotely bing mentioned.

Seeing as its so poor bunch named. I''d go with Hoddle at least he has experienced world cups as a player and a manager, he might be able to offer something to our talented (although overrated) but clueless players. I believe at club level he struggled because payers couldn''t live up to his expectations, for England I can''t help but feel we need to demand more from them he might just do that.

Alan shearer should be involved, I know he got relegated with Newcastle but international football is a different kettle of fish, I liked what he had to say on the BBC highlights show he was brutally honest he almost had tears in his eyes. He isn''t just saying it for effect he genuinely cares , success at club level should be irrelevant that''s the mistake we always make. I''d go for shearer and hoddle.

I''d go Hiddink, vast experience of international and tournament football with different countries.

Worked in England for half of last season ,so will be familiar with the choice of players.

His stint with Holland in the the first two thirds of this Euro 2016 qualifying might just have blotted his copybook.......but it should be remembered that Claudio Ranieri began the same timetable of qualifiers with Greece ,losing to the Faroe Islands twice before taking over at Leicester....

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"] Guus Hiddink

Laurent Blanc

Slaven Bilic

Jurgen Klinsmann

Carlo Ancelotti

Sir Alex Ferguson

Jorge Sampaoli

Vicente del Bosque

Parma[/quote]

This list is a bit mad. Bilic won''t leave West Ham, Ancelotti certainly won''t leave Bayern Munich, Ferguson is retired and Del Bosque is retiring. US fans desperately want Klinsmann out as they''ve been poor under him so he''s surely a no.

King,

My list was intended as indicative, not prescriptive.

The intention was to show that intelligent, educated, tactical, analytical, experienced managers that have a chance of changing he fragile mindset and low-brow tendencies of English players under pressure are not English.

That English Managers have tended to derive from English players might indicate why failings are endemic and repeated.

Parma

I''d agree with that but I''m not sure an international manager can overcome that- not enough time spent with the players to totally change their mindset.

I do think we need to look abroad for our next manager though.

As an American, I can tell you Klinsmann is frustratingly stubborn, but it hasn''t been all that bad under him. Frustrating most of the time, but not awful. Don''t think he''d bring a massive upgrade to England and I don''t think he''d leave the US job.

Go all out for Bilic. If he won''t take it, Laurent Blanc.

''Arry Rednap eh?

Sorry but I always take his points of view when it comes to the England job and set up with a large pinch of salt.

It''s been quite some time since he managed a team where he couldn''t turn to the check book to sort problems. And look where that put some of his prior clubs.

Also, when I was living in London, I heard it from a reliable source that the reason England wouldn''t touch him, or Venables again, was because their were ''issues'' away from the public eye that they were not willing to risk in terms of PR for England set up etc. Now this was prior to Harry having been outed for having a bank account in his deceased dogs name . . . . so it may have been that, but I''m not so sure.

I think he''s quite bitter about England after his spell at Spurs and he felt he had proven he was the best English manager for a couple of their lofty positions. Again, I think we have seen a better manager take Spurs further this season.

Now this is where I think Bruce and Allardice are better managers. People may not like Big Sam''s tactics but you cannot deny that he has often had next to no money to spend and has had to squeeze every drop of potential out of the players at his disposal. That can largely be said of Bruce who had to sign players and manage them well whilst at Wigan with the full knowledge that many were putting themselves in the shop window for more lucrative moves.

I think them both being proven player motivators is why they have continuously been linked with the England job. Of the two, Bruce has instilled a better playing style on his teams overall and seems more tactically flexible.

I suspect they may look further afield though. Klinsman is a good shout - may not want to leave the USA job though. It really needs to be someone who is prepared to shake up the game a bit though - they need to look at why the grass root level of football isn''t providing as many quality youngsters to the top teams anymore.

It doesn''t matter who the England manager is if only 30% of the premier league players qualify to play for England. Especially when you consider how many of that 30% tend to be players from the promoted sides.

We could do worse than either Chris Coleman or Martin O'' Neill.

At least they have both shown that they can get the very best from the players at their disposal, something Hodgson never managed when it mattered.

Broadstairs, the difference I think is down to the players at your disposal. Wales, Ireland and NI players seem to recognise that playing for your Country is a special honour and play with passion and pride. The same could be said about previous Scottish sides as well. When it comes to the English side one gets the impression that their inclusion in the National side makes them some sort of demi-gods and they rarely show passion much less pride.

For England to ever do well the whole mindset needs to change, a change of Manager, unless he can do what many previous managers couldn''t, will do little to change our fortunes, alas.

Starting to think that we''ll never amount to the sum of our parts, maybe a new manager would get us past Iceland but I can only ever see an England of similar stuttering and disappointment.

The expectation-of-failure mindset has deeply set into our team, fans and media. It''s a rut we''ll do well to get out of any time soon and it''s much the opposite of teams like Italy and Germany who can actually turn up for tournaments.

I would consider it like Arsenal - always a shrug of a shoulders when they''re top of the league ''but they''re Arsenal'' and sure enough they eventually crumble and fall down the table. The media talks like it KNOWS it will happen, we talk like we KNOW it will happen, and this pressure must take it''s toll on the players.

As said during the second half of that Iceland game - you could physically see the players were petrified, they were so scared and paranoid about becoming the latest in a long line of let-downs that that''s exactly what they became! They were shackled up by their very own mentality and I don''t think you can really blame them for that, because the entire nation has played a part in engraving it into their heads.

Next tournament we all just need to agree to ignore them...