Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Missed out on Gayle

Am disappointed Newcastle beat us to Gayle. This division is always won by top strikers. Of course we might have magnificent signings lined up- but with no sign of a CEO, signs of possible trouble/disharmony in boardroom and coaching staff...it looks a little bleak. After last season we just cannot afford to fart about in another window and miss out on best targets - we need to be at the races and ready to pounce.

After relegation and sale of best player, and coaches, ceo and director jumping ship we need some good news fast...and not more flipping midfielders - we need two outstanding champ strikers and a CB to partner klose.

I agree, would''ve loved Gayle and he will get 20+ goals in this division BUT we won''t be spending that sort of money on any player. Us spending £9m in the championship on one player just won''t be happening unfortunately.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]signs of possible trouble/disharmony in boardroom...[/quote]Explain please.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]signs of possible trouble/disharmony in boardroom...[/quote]Explain please.[/quote]

Disharmony in boardroom suggested by the club director leaving the club just days after being re-elected, the resignation of the CEO followed by no hint of a replacement, the entrance of family and friends onto the Board etc...

Disharmony amongst coaching staff could well be behind the sudden resignation of Gary Holt - the tweets of a disgruntled player whose contract wasn''t renewed, the lack of passion at the end of last season.

On that Gary Holt point, does seem strange was announced on the week all the players and staff returned for pre season training. Not earlier in the summer. I get maybe he wants to be a manager or head coach somewhere else but why leave a job when you don''t have another one lined up. Not like clubs don''t appoint other clubs coaches as their new managers.

Has he actually gone?

Either way, few players are going to choose Alex Neil and Norwich over Rafa and Newcastle.

They will have first choice on any players prepared to play in the Championship.

How can you miss out on a player if the manager of  the club has no interest in him? Yes a year ago he was certainly hunted and reports that he  was wanted to sign on the last day of the transfer window but Palace blocked that. But there was no  clear evidence of Alex wanting him in January, and anyway, this window Palace slapped an even higher value on the guy thats now double figures, a figure that rich Newcastle can easy afford.Kinda glad once hes signed for Toon, if only to end the long running  rumours linking him to us, which is all theyve ever been since the Prem season started.

Agree with the above comment, we''ve missed out on a player some fans wanted not one the manager did.

Also need to be realistic here Newcastle would have just bidded more anyway. The fact there''s not much sign of any of that squad other than 1 or 2 leaving and they''re throwing 10-15 at players like Ritchie and Gayle who would take a drop down in division just to play for them somes it up

Perhaps. But my point is that my gut is saying all Isn''t rosy behind closed doors and I fear another summer of chaos as others take the players we need. We need to show our intent and really are short the strikers, we need that 20 goal man.

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]Agree with the above comment, we''ve missed out on a player some fans wanted not one the manager did.

Also need to be realistic here Newcastle would have just bidded more anyway. The fact there''s not much sign of any of that squad other than 1 or 2 leaving and they''re throwing 10-15 at players like Ritchie and Gayle who would take a drop down in division just to play for them somes it up[/quote]

Ritchie had a great season, and was a stand out player. Why the hell would he drop to the championship? Even if Newvastle were to pay more in wages, there''s rumors of West Ham interested. Surely he wants to play in the Prem. It makes no sense.

Newcastle will throw money at it going down has not altered their budget in fact they may spend just as much as last year to get back up

this is also the case with manager they spent big and got the best they could

they will be back in the EPL before long

if you look at the squad and manager they have there

as for Ritchie for dropping down a league maybe extra 15 k a week , plays every game be a hero at st james playing for rafa lots of reasons why he want to go there

We need to forget about Newcastle, we simply cannot compete with them. 50,000+ fans every week, a billionaire owner (albeit an odious one), a top-class manager (albeit an odious one), and one would suspect a big windfall coming their way for selling at least Wijnaldum and Sissoko (and maybe one or two more besides). If Newcastle don''t win the league I will be very surprised.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]We need to forget about Newcastle, we simply cannot compete with them. 50,000+ fans every week, a billionaire owner (albeit an odious one), a top-class manager (albeit an odious one), and one would suspect a big windfall coming their way for selling at least Wijnaldum and Sissoko (and maybe one or two more besides). If Newcastle don''t win the league I will be very surprised.[/quote]

They are no different to the rest of us, Townsend on his way, if offers come in for their star players they will have to sell.

But then we cant hit our club with a stick by reporting Townsend to Palace. Gayle was his replacement.

Townsend is a Winger, Gayle is a sriker - not a like for like replacement.

Gayle was expensive. Some silly prices being thrown around for players in rumours and having been paid out already. I know there are some that will say - yes but it''s worth it for the £100million. But it''s their fee plus wages.

I''m still to find the reason for the hype around Gayle. He''s barely got a look in at Palace and they were distinctly average last season after a solid start.

In a way he reminds me a bit of the sort of record that Steve Morrison and Pilkington came with. Ultimately, they were not good enough.

Matt Ritchie is a winger, being signed as a replacement for Townsend.

Newcastle are sure spending some cash. mind you, are new kit looks okay.

And fletcher gone to Wednesday. Not as bothered about that one but why are others signing players and not even a decent rumour for us. It is like Groundhog Day.

Of course we can compete with Newcastle this season. Just because they spend a load of money people think they''ll walk this league. Last season they had a net spend of about £70m and where did that get them? Fucking no where is where it got them! Problems run deep at that club and the signings they are making so far suggest Rafa isn''t in control of them.

Surprised that Bor hasn''t wheeled out his "long past its sell-buy date" joke so I''ll save him the bother:

I''d rather have the C&W love child of Dwight Yoakam and Crystal Gayle.