Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Steven Fletcher

[quote user="Haggerdoo"][quote user="AJ"]Poor Man''s Jerome![/quote]Trouble is we''ve never played Laffertey in his preferred position as a striker (always on the left wing) - would ditch RVW ahead of him[/quote]

Lafferty has played up front for Norwich . . . . . it''s not spoken about much because it wasn''t overly successful and not very memorable . . . .

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Rather have Norman Stanley Fletcher.[/quote]Pin back your lugholes - I''d rather have Cyril Fletcher...

For all the cricket aficionados, Duncan Fletcher would do me!

Sun saying we are after this free agent and are willing to pay him £35,000 a week , Christ what a old s hit strikeforce that would be Jerome and Fletcher . Gayle looks to be off to Newcastle , but then we were never going to spend £10 million on a striker in the Champs when we wont do it in the Prem .

Imo he could do a pretty good job in the Champs (I thought he was off abroad, anyway?); as a free agent there''s no transfer fee hence the higher wages. As to it being an old strike force, they are both still in their 20s and about the same age as Grant Holt was when he was at his best! As for Gayle, a lot of people spent a lot of time last season and the season before harping on about how rubbish he is so I''m not sure why we''d want to spend £10m on him.

Fletcher could do ok in the champs but I am not inspired as

he is not one for the future.

We could take the route of two up front little and large format with Jerome as target man and a mobile player like Nicky Ajose who fits the young hungry with potential category.

He has just been sold but there could be others worth a punt.

We don''t want to concentrate only on ''ones for the future'' - it is certainly a good idea to have in the back of your mind but experience can also count for a hell of a lot....we''d have been generally happy enough had GO''N decided to stay. I''m all for having a young and exciting side, but it''s about getting a decent mix in there, too.

He is old , does not score (1 in 12 on loan at Marseille) and at £35,000 a week expensive , Newcastle are signing the likes of Gayle and Matt Ritchie thats showing an intention to get promoted and yes Gayle was not one i would have wanted at Prem level but he could be prolific in the Champs . Fletcher wont be .Really starting to worry about Alex Neil , just about all his signings have been flops and if his idea is Jerome and Fletcher to fire us to promotion then he clearly is not good enough to manage at this level .

I hope not, we really need to build on the future not keep firefighting with pro''s who''s best days are behind them.

I like young lads we have been linked with yesterday, but again these might just be bull!

terrible business

So short sighted what happens IF we go up

signing fletcher on a 3 year deal on 35 k a week that may go up if we do get promoted

then we have a player who is not going to be good enough for EPL on 35-40 k a week !! stuck with him for 2 years not good enough but AN will give him a chance because he scored 15 in championship like he did jerome

we already have one of these players in cam jam we do not need anymore if this happens and we went up we will have 70 k a week ( approx ) on strikers not good enough !

i know we have to get up and promoted first but you have to plan for future

Fletcher is actually quite a good marksman. He''s very similar to Hooper. Will put the chances away but does very little else. Can''t hold up play, setup play or take on his man.

I''d take Gayle first. If we can''t get him then Fletcher on a free and £20,000 a week. £35,000 is close to £2million a year. I suppose if you consider Naismith cost us £8million and we still have to pay him then Fletcher''s a steal !

I''d be happy if we get him AND Clough- one experienced, one young. If we just get Fletcher though I''ll be highly underwhelmed.

We''ve all talked about jerome back at his level in the championship, yet Naismith and Fletcher both have a slightly better premier league record than Jerome? 3 players you''d hope would excel in the championship.

Would be very happy if that''s our front 3 along with 1 addition

Fletcher is 6 foot 1 and will win headers. Don''t know who you are thinking of but it''s one of his main attributes.

He perhaps hasn''t got the all round game (i.e. holding the ball up with a decent touch like Crouch or Quinn did) but he''ll make the ball stick when it needs to.

His main weakness is his injurys/fitness. If we get the good version, he''ll smash this league.

A front 4 of Jerome, Fletcher, Clough and Naismith with Morris as a trump card would be a great start. We have the loan market as well if needs be.

I''d have liked Gayle, but £11m seems a bit silly. McCormack being quoted at £15m proves it''s not just the premiership that''s gone mad.

If we''re to spend a bit of money i''d rather it went on the defence. Someone to partner Klose would be my main target.

I instigated this thread when Sunderland released him, but was never over-enthusiastic.

I made the point about his wage demands being high, but not knowing they would be £35k per week.

I made the point that if we were to get RVW and Lafferty off the wages bill that Fletcher''s demands might not be such a problem and I suppose this still remains the case.

It reminds us once again of the mistake that was RVW and the effect that the continuing expense in his direction still damages our prospects.

Employ a third rate Scottish manager and i suppose its no surprise to end up with a team of third rate Scottish players . This would be a truly shocking signing and almost certainly see us failing to gain promotion , Newcastle are showing us how it should be done while we look like the bunch of amateurs we are .

Please do not sign this useless twat. Upfront for Scotland the opposition(unless it was Gilbrator) hardy was in fear.

To those saying Fletcher is no better than Jerome, well his goal scoring record in the prem is certainly better. I could only do prem stats as Fletcher hasnt played any other level in English football. I put Gayles record in as well although the other two have played 3 times as many games as him.

Steven Fletcher.

43 goals - 190 games.

Goal every 4.4 games.

Seasons with 10+ goals (3)

Most goals in a season (12)

Cameron Jerome.

33 goals - 211 games.

Goal every 6.4 games.

Seasons with 10+ goals (1)

Most goals in a season (11)

Dwight Gayle.

5 goals - 63 Games.

Goal every 4.2 games.

Most goals in a season (7)

With Naismith, Whitts, Martin and Fletcher it''s like a football version of Still Game!

I''m not sure Scottish players are really that great, if we had a Spanish manager do you think we''d have 4 Scotts in our team?

I find the idea of us paying £35,000 a week for a striker with Fletcher''s injury record highly unlikely.

No thanks.

Seems (rightly or wrongly) to spend a lot of time in the treatment room.

Allied to the fact that his goal-scoring record these past three years has been somewhat south of woeful.

In each of the last three seasons he has averaged a goal every 6 appearances. In the three seasons before that he averaged a goal every 3 appearances.

Is his record the last three seasons because he has had poor service or is he past it?

He is rarely fit, has major problems with his knees, plus would cost him £0000''s a week in petrol for his Lamborghini to travel up and down that A1, so probably not the best move when all considered.