Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Steven Fletcher

Has been released by Sunderland who forked out some £12m for him a few years ago. Now free of charge, so to speak.

Decent scoring record and with twenty odd Premier League goals as an ''in and out'' player for the Black Cats and I believe he had previously linked up well with Matt Jarvis whilst at Wolves.

With age not quite against him, do any consider that he could be a useful addition to our strike-force?

His wages demand might be on the high side which would eliminate many of our rivals, yet should be within our means.

Getting Lafferty and RVW off the wage bill would make this less of a problem.

Used to be a very good goal scorer but probably weighed down by his pockets these days.

Nah. Not good enough, not hungry enough. He''d be free but his wages would be huge. He has a certain lifestyle to pay for now. Sunderland fans kicked off when he tweeted a pic of his 250k lambogini. Not interested.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]How about those released by Everton -- Tony Hibbert, Leon Osman and Steven Pienaar ?[/quote]

We really don''t need more right becks or attacking midfielders.

No thanks.

Can''t see the sense in trying to offload Jerome (if the stories are true) as we''d have a major rebuilding up front, and thats no easy task

[quote user="Samwam27"]No thanks.

Can''t see the sense in trying to offload Jerome (if the stories are true) as we''d have a major rebuilding up front, and thats no easy task[/quote]

Think that precisely what we need to do, if you can''t head the ball properly and volley over from 6 yards, doesn''t matter what standard you play at! I''d happy replace Jermoe with Fletcher

A one year emergency signing to get us back into the Prem? No thanks, it would cost too much in wages.

Not over-enamoured but he has a decent record at Championship and even Premier League level and is available.

If given the choice of starting the new season with both Lafferty and RvW on the bonks and therefore the wages bill or just Fletcher (and perhaps an extra £2m from selling) I would go for the latter any day.

I still regard the striking position as a priority and feel that a striker should be our marquee signing of the Summer.

Who? No doubt there will be many players muted on this forum in the coming weeks, let''s hope we get it right this time.

A strike force of A.N. Other, Jerome and Fletcher, and young Morris as back up and apprentice would suit me fine for next season.

The A.N Other is the Key.

[quote user="AJ"]Poor Man''s Jerome![/quote]Trouble is we''ve never played Laffertey in his preferred position as a striker (always on the left wing) - would ditch RVW ahead of him

To be fair to Laff''s, he''s always put in a good shift, and when played up top in the cup scored. I''d like to see us give him a good go in pre-season before ruling him out. Although, AN clearly doesn''t rate him that highly having shipped him out on loan twice in two seasons!

As for RVW, I think that boat has sailed now, he won''t play for us

i would have osman here no problem creates and scores goals from midfield something we lack

very professional gives his all ,

great role model for young midfielders

wages might be high though

Experience and would lead from the front. A controversial yes from me. And he''s younger than DD was when we signed him.

And I''d also like to see Laffs given a chance in his proper role for us before we stick the knives in.

RVW played and failed. Laffs hasn''t even played in the strikers role we bought him for

Lafferty is s hite. He''s had a throughly unimpressive club career and if we were linked with a striker with his sort of record this forum would be moaning a lot.

This forum would find faults if we signed Messi or Ronaldo. Some on this forum are just never happy.

Im sorry but poor mans cameron jerome, they are both same age 29.

Cameron Jerome:

211 premier league games 33 goals

Steven Fletcher:

190 premier league games 53 goals

Not good enough for us but being linked to Celtic, Villa but favourites to sign him are Hull.

We need two new starting strikers this summer and hopefully if the Jerome leaving story is true we should get them , truth is the two we sold last season Hooper and Grabban are both head and shoulders better than Jerome . Lafferty will be sold too and rightly so , could not even get a regular start while on loan at Birmingham and hard to see Wolfswinkle still being around either although i must say i would not mind seeing how he fared at Champs level . Jerome , Fletcher , Morris and one other for me would be season over before it started , 2 ageing strikers with a poor conversion rate and a young lad with only a bit of experience up in Scotland ..think better people or we really are going to struggle big time .