Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

Is RVW the new Lafferty?

Different set of circumstances but I guess the point about Vardy is that footy ain''t played on paper.

There was barely a jot of evidence that Vardy was going to become the best English striker going just over a year ago, he was nearly flogged to Sheffield Wednesday for less than £5m! Football has a funny way sometimes, perhaps we''ll get lucky with RvW. Unlikely, but you just never know. Again though, i''d rather not be pinning my hopes on it. Having him stay as 3rd choice however, i''d not be too against that.

[quote user="king canary"]What has Vardy got to do with anything? No I wouldn''t have predicted his season but then he also hasn''t been terrible for the last three seasons and loaned out at every opportunity so I don''t really see the relevance.[/quote]

Vardy is 29 and has found success later in his career.

Some strikers have long lean periods caused by lack of confidence. Iwan took a while to settle in here.

Why not look back beyond 3 years?

As has been said before, 1 game against Championship opposition and 1 goal can''t be called terrible and would suggest that he could do a job for us next season.

Yes but Vardy hadn''t been failing at the levels he was playing at before. His assent might have been slow but he made it by scoring goals at each level he played at.

Why not look beyond three years? Because the further away it is the less likely it is to be repeated. Looking at his career he has had 4 good seasons (in Holland and Portugal) followed by 3 bad ones. I''d love to see an example of player who has been this poor for this long bouncing back to have a decent season.

[quote user="king canary"]The thing is, anyone making the ''give him a chance, he might still come good argument'' is basing it entirely on blind optimism that a player who has spent three years in three different leagues not scoring can rediscover his form last seen in 2013. I''m sure most of us would love him to turn it around but we''re also realists who can look at the evidence of the last three years and see it is highly unlikely to happen.[/quote]Of course there is that way of looking at it,  but saying it is "blind optimism" to think he might get goals again, is not the case.   Based on basic technique in terms of striking/heading a ball, his ability is as good as anyone''s.   Witness the goals for Sporting and you can see that.  What of course you also see is plenty of space around him - which you don''t get in the premier league, but do get margininally more of in the championship. You also see in his Sporting days good movement from him off the ball and a supply line of accurate, early, pinpoint crosses and passes to him. He never, ever had that under Hughton and with Snodgrass dominating the wing play.   Also, "not scoring" is not quite correct.  RVW scored 5 goals for St Etienne and 1 for Betis in his two loan spells - on limited appearances, often not starting matches owing to other established strikers at those two clubs.  He''s had a difficult time, no doubt, but he is not without good technique and he has the knowledge of knowing he can do it under the spotlight, as at Sporting.  Every chance he could do it for us, given the right circumstances, faith shown to him by the manager and the right players around him, giving him accurate service. 

Saying his heading/striking ability is ''as good as anyone''s'' is ludicrous. Also having great technique is not all that useful if you can''t put it into practice in a game situation.

He''s scored 7 goals in the last three seasons. If he was impressing in training and in other aspects while he was on the pitch he would have got more game time. Clearly he hasn''t been scoring and hasn''t been bringing enough to the team to warrant more game time.

His main issue with us was his lack of physicality- far to easily bullied out of the game and pushed off the ball. That is only going to get worse in the Championship.

''Every chance'' he could do it for us? On the balance of evidence there is very very little chance.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="king canary"]The thing is, anyone making the ''give him a chance, he might still come good argument'' is basing it entirely on blind optimism that a player who has spent three years in three different leagues not scoring can rediscover his form last seen in 2013. I''m sure most of us would love him to turn it around but we''re also realists who can look at the evidence of the last three years and see it is highly unlikely to happen.[/quote]Based on basic technique in terms of striking/heading a ball, his ability is as good as anyone''s.  [/quote]
Are you basing this on some youtube videos of his sporting goals?
I''m not being funny but you could equally watch a compilation of Chris Martin''s goals for us and Derby and his striking / heading ability in more competitive circumstances would be deemed as good, if not better than RvW''s.
So it''s certainly not a case of his basic technique being ''as good as anyone''s''

[quote user="curious yellow"]So he turned into a bad player almost overnight and has no chance of ever regaining form?[/quote]
No he turned into a bad player of the course of a season and has spent the following 2 seasons incapable of coming close to his previous best. Nothing suggests the third is going to suddenly be different.

You can trace the line of succession of our ''couldn''t do any worse strikers'' over a few years now.

Cody Mac- Becchio- RVW- Lafferty

Does it go back further than that? Cureton when Roeder froze him out maybe?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="curious yellow"]So he turned into a bad player almost overnight and has no chance of ever regaining form?[/quote]
No he turned into a bad player of the course of a season and has spent the following 2 seasons incapable of coming close to his previous best. Nothing suggests the third is going to suddenly be different.
[/quote]

Still an amazing regression, I wonder if anything suggested that would happen.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="king canary"]The thing is, anyone making the ''give him a chance, he might still come good argument'' is basing it entirely on blind optimism that a player who has spent three years in three different leagues not scoring can rediscover his form last seen in 2013. I''m sure most of us would love him to turn it around but we''re also realists who can look at the evidence of the last three years and see it is highly unlikely to happen.[/quote]Based on basic technique in terms of striking/heading a ball, his ability is as good as anyone''s.  [/quote]
Are you basing this on some youtube videos of his sporting goals?
I''m not being funny but you could equally watch a compilation of Chris Martin''s goals for us and Derby and his striking / heading ability in more competitive circumstances would be deemed as good, if not better than RvW''s.
So it''s certainly not a case of his basic technique being ''as good as anyone''s''
[/quote]

I''ve had this discussion before, but players at Norwich three years ago were said to be mystified why RVW wasn''t scoring more, because his technique was so good. That is good enough recommendation for me.  He may have other failings, but technique is not one of them.

Well at the moment in the striking department we have next to nothing , Jerome only managed 3 at Prem level with probably more game time and in a more attacking side so really he should be getting just as much stick for being crap as Rvw . Everyone thinks Jerome is wonderful because he scored 21 at a lower level a level Rvw has not had the luxury of playing at.We really need 2 top class strikers , Boro finally went up after signing Rhodes for £10 million , Burnley £8 million on Gray , just who will Alex Neil bring in ? hotshots from the Scottish leagues just will not be good enough .

@King

Statistically the three seasons Vardy had before this one, year 12/13 he scored 4. Year 13/14 he scored 16 and his debut season in the PL he scored 5 in 34 appearances. Two of those three seasons were pretty shocking considering the amount of appearances he had. I would''ve been easy after one season to assume that Vardy isn''t cut out for the PL after proving himself a pretty average striker in the Championship. You have a great point though, I''m sure there are some strikers but none come to mind straight away so I definitely see where you''re coming from. It is impossible to be right 100% of the time in football especially, but I''m not sitting on the fence, I just believe RVW would be a good option for us in the Championship not assuming he would be our first choice striker.

Three seasons. Three top flights. Three failures.

Absolutely no evidence to suggest he''s suddenly going to turn his career around. I think some people need to move on. Including Ricky himself.

@curious yellow

I think he struggled as he was signed for a league he just isn''t suited to- his lack of physicality meant he was bullied out of games to often, unable to hold the ball up as needed and not able to win many headers. You could see the amount of times he got knocked over and looked to the ref clearly expecting a free kick.

I think this led to an (understandable) drop in confidence and maybe for the first time in his career some serious adversity. He''d scored a decent amount of goals in the past four seasons and been the main man, a player on this rise. When things went against him he maybe lacked the mental strength to push through and bounce back. Nothing certain but that would be my guess.

I think we can blame (yet again) poor scouting for bringing in a player so unsuited to the league and our style of play. It is quite telling that several Premier League teams had apparently taken a look at him but not actually gone for him- I wonder if they had worried about his physical limitations more than we did.

I don''t dislike RVW or think he did anything wrong- he tested himself at a higher level and it didn''t work out.

@Green and Yellow

Yes but you need to look beyond just the goal stats. Both the previous two seasons he had 10 assists. Vardy brings a lot more to the table than just his goals and (although I might be imagining this) I don''t think he played as an out and out striker all that time. RVW on the overhand didn''t really provide much in terms of chance creation or assists to make up for the lack of goals.