Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

Is RVW the new Lafferty?

[quote user="Please Stay Timm Klose"]This love in seems to have come from no where. Ridiculous, the guy has done nothing for about 3 seasons now.[/quote]Saw someone mention this on twitter, but haven''t seen much love in.Yeah it would be amazing if he suddenly lived up to his price tag, but I certainly wouldn''t be putting any money on it.

Oh it''s all over Facebook although I''m slowly leaving the fan groups on FB, as it''s all a bit tragic.

[quote user="hogesar"]Oh it''s all over Facebook although I''m slowly leaving the fan groups on FB, as it''s all a bit tragic.[/quote]Ah right, yeah I left most of the fan groups as we were sliding towards relegation.

Twitter seems to think hes getting the No9 shirt next season , well i suppose if you cannot afford a multi million pound striker you may as well use the one you already have .

You''d think it is in his interests to give it a go if he can - he''s playing for a new contract somewhere. There must be a decent enough player in there, it has been well hidden for three years, though...

[quote user="hogesar"]Oh it''s all over Facebook although I''m slowly leaving the fan groups on FB, as it''s all a bit tragic.[/quote]

Yeah I saw the majority on Twitter. I left those Facebook groups a long time ago. Some complete mongs on there, makes the pinkun look sane.

Knowing our luck with RVW

he will get a chance in the first team

score 30 goals this season

find his goal scoring touch play for holland scoring 6 goals in 2 games

but will leave at end of season for free as we didn''t do anything about his contract !!

Surely he''s in the same boat as all players we have on the books, he does his pre-season like the rest, they assess whether he is up to it and if so they play him in friendlies, maybe the Championship would suit him better than the premier league!?

Only one way to find out.

Other way round surely? People were saying RVW needed to be given a chance, we didn''t play to his strengths, Robert Snodgrass sabotaged his career before Lafferty became a perennial bench warmer.

Whichever way it is the fact is we either give him a chance to prove himself or we don''t, he has to (if he wants to) do what every other player does in pre-season, show the boss he wants the shirt!

I do agree the club hasn''t helped his career either by the way we play or that stupid ''feed the wolf'' marketing campaign but we are where we are and like someone said, it''s his last year so he needs to impress someone out there either us or a potential new club when his contract expires.

Same as I felt last season, if we get a decent offer, get rid but until then, he''s our player and we might as well use him. You never know, he might be a demon at this level! I''m certainly not holding out much hope though!

He''s had chances. Hughton gave him far more game time than his performances merited. Neil Adams gave him a pre season and we got rid. AN even gave him a League Cup match and decided he wasn''t for him.

How many chances does he need before we just admit he isn''t very good?

Well he took his chance in the cup to be fair and then we must have got a decent offer to get his wage off the books.

If said decent offer doesn''t happen again (we''re paying him less now as well remember) then we may as well use him.

He might be of a standard to be our 3rd choice striker in which case we use him. Fact is though, he''s still on like £30k a week and there may be teams in top flight leagues like Eredivise and Portugal that think he has more to offer them due to his style of play being more suited to them leagues.

Considering we have no choice but to keep paying him unless someone else take on his wages, the player himself is an asset that could be useful at this level and we may as well use him.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Knowing our luck with RVW he will get a chance in the first team score 30 goals this season find his goal scoring touch play for holland scoring 6 goals in 2 games but will leave at end of season for free as we didn''t do anything about his contract !![/quote]

I could live with that TBH.  But I won''t be holding my breath.

I suspect we''ll just pay him £30k per week for nothing all season.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Well he took his chance in the cup to be fair and then we must have got a decent offer to get his wage off the books.

If said decent offer doesn''t happen again (we''re paying him less now as well remember) then we may as well use him.

He might be of a standard to be our 3rd choice striker in which case we use him. Fact is though, he''s still on like £30k a week and there may be teams in top flight leagues like Eredivise and Portugal that think he has more to offer them due to his style of play being more suited to them leagues.

Considering we have no choice but to keep paying him unless someone else take on his wages, the player himself is an asset that could be useful at this level and we may as well use him.[/quote]

The lad showed great attitude, even though things were against him and with AN, you know he will be given a clean slate at the start of this season. If he shows well in training and the warm up games, he could just find himself involved this season as part of the strike force.   AN only saw him in pre-season training last year and concluded he wasn''t what he wanted for the premier league, but this season we are in the championship and RVW may find his level here.  Certainly his form for Sporting Lisbon suggests that if he has a bit more time and space he will score plenty.  The championship isn''t that weak, but there will be games where he can find the space and time and he has always possessed good technique in shooting/heading.  The past is past and he is still our player for another year, so time to give him a go this season, let him fight his way into the team, or not, as the case maybe, but he should be given the chance.

"The lad showed great attitude, even though things were against him and with AN, you know he will be given a clean slate at the start of this season. If he shows well in training and the warm up games, he could just find himself involved this season as part of the strike force.   AN only saw him in pre-season training last year and concluded he wasn''t what he wanted for the premier league, but this season we are in the championship and RVW may find his level here.  Certainly his form for Sporting Lisbon suggests that if he has a bit more time and space he will score plenty.  The championship isn''t that weak, but there will be games where he can find the space and time and he has always possessed good technique in shooting/heading.  The past is past and he is still our player for another year, so time to give him a go this season, let him fight his way into the team, or not, as the case maybe, but he should be given the chance."

*sighs*

This great attitude being the same great attitude that resulted in him turning down a dream move back to sporting because they wouldn''t match his wages?

I''m a bit confused by the ''great attitude'' claim too- unless you were there in training how do we know he had a great attitude? He has said all the right things in the press and fair play to him but with all the evidence of the last three seasons and the fact two managers have both turfed him out on loan (and neither club have wanted to sign him afterwards) I''m ok with him not getting a chance.

[quote user="hogesar"]This great attitude being the same great attitude that resulted in him turning down a dream move back to sporting because they wouldn''t match his wages?[/quote]

I cant see it being a dream move back to his old club for less wages.

I think LDC''s analysis is better than "not very good" argument that you usually see here.

I am sure every Norwich fan would like RVW to regain his best form while he is at this club.

Well, it''s a dream move in comparison to anything else he''s going to get after 3 seasons of complete failure.

The thing is, anyone making the ''give him a chance, he might still come good argument'' is basing it entirely on blind optimism that a player who has spent three years in three different leagues not scoring can rediscover his form last seen in 2013. I''m sure most of us would love him to turn it around but we''re also realists who can look at the evidence of the last three years and see it is highly unlikely to happen.

I would be happy with a front 3 including Jerome and RVW as long as we invest in one more prolific striker who has also been proven at this level. Under Hughton everyone knew our style of play didn''t suit him, none of our strikers did well the season we got relegated and you can say that for most 95%of the squad. I like Ricky as a person, he seems like a humble and honest character who has been lacking confidence and an ego in front of goal. I would love him to get his confidence back, we all know Ricky is a good finisher and I believe he would get goals in the Championship with our style of play.

I understand his last couple of loan spells have been relatively unsuccessful, but he''s played in 3 different cities and leagues in 3 years. It would be hard for anyone to settle with a life style like that and I hope Norwich can be the place for him to settle down and get his confidence back. Some may call me a hopeless romantic, but I want every Norwich player to succeed and as personalities and mentalities go I think RVW and Laffs are very different.

@Green and Yellow

''Under Hughton everyone knew our style of play didn''t suit him, none of our strikers did well the season we got relegated''

True but Hooper managed 6, Snodgrass got 6 from midfield. Scoring in that team wasn''t easy but others managed to do it. Hell, Steven Whittaker and Alex Tettey scored as many as RVW that season.

''I like Ricky as a person, he seems like a humble and honest character who has been lacking confidence and an ego in front of goal.''

Great. We don''t sign players and pay them good money to be ''nice guys'' though. We pay them to play football.

''we all know Ricky is a good finisher''

Do we? I think quite a few Norwich fans (and fans of Betis and St Ettiene) may question that.

''I believe he would get goals in the Championship with our style of play''

Based on what?

''I understand his last couple of loan spells have been relatively unsuccessful''

They''ve been terrible.

As you say you''re a hopeless romantic. Luckily I believe our manager isn''t and will judge based on whether the player is likely to actually be any good.

@King

It is really not hard to understand the arguments for people saying he has no future at the club, the reasons are obvious. To be fair though he had a reputation of being a good finisher his whole career, before moving to Norwich and even now he''s still sparking debate. I''m just one of those who just believes in him, though based on evidence in the last few seasons I understand that must come across foolish. I really don''t care if you judge me for holding that opinion, I think he could do a job for us next season and you would be one of the first to cheer if he scores goals for us. At the same time though I would not begrudge the club for selling or loaning him, because statistics are not in his favor. Though if you''re going down that road, you would''ve never predicted Vardy''s and Leicesters success based on their stats either.

What has Vardy got to do with anything? No I wouldn''t have predicted his season but then he also hasn''t been terrible for the last three seasons and loaned out at every opportunity so I don''t really see the relevance.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

It may well be necessary and logical to bring RvW back into the fold as a squad player for this season.

He would be an expensive 3rd or 4th choice striker, but he could easily be a better option than spending further money buying somebody (anybody) for that particular role.

Parma