Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Come on Wales??

Ok, the underdogs, the only fellow Brits left in the tournament, the plucky Welsh with their superstar Bale.........but I won''t be cheering them on.   The Irish if they had got through....yes...brilliant attitude and fans, would follow both their teams all day long.   I would have been supporting the Welsh tonight, but am now hoping Belgium win.  Why.....because of the Welsh players'' histrionics and joy at seeing Engand go out. They haven''t even got a Norwich player in and I''m glad, after that display.  Come on Wales?  No thanks.  Go Belgium.  Anyone feel the same?

No. I want Wales to win. You''ve got to rise above these things LDC and be the bigger man. Now''s not the time for pettiness and being the little Englander. Or is it?

Come on Belgium, give them a good spanking. Send Gareth "currently enrolled in the Ronaldo school of charm" Bale and his England-hating lackeys home.

Belgium for me. We were in a very poor Group - Wales aren''t that good and are only there because NI are worse; even England on their form of Monday would have beaten them. Bale''s ''we''re on another level'' since fluking their 1-0 when utterly outplayed by Belgium in qualifying is laughable.

Must admit I hope they get walloped after the Iceland celebration.

I doubt many shared the misery of English fans after such an inept performance from a team managed by the highest payed manager in the tournament. I support Wales but would always get behind the England team, unless they are playing Wales. It was very hard to support them when they played with such lack of passion for their shirt however.

Unfortunate footage, but I suspect you would find every nation in the world celebrating a win for David over Goliath!

Come on Wales !!!!

[quote user=" Badger"]I shall certainly be supporting Wales and, when it comes to it, Iceland.[/quote]This ^^^.

[quote user="Yellowfuture"]I doubt many shared the misery of English fans after such an inept performance from a team managed by the highest payed manager in the tournament. I support Wales but would always get behind the England team, unless they are playing Wales. It was very hard to support them when they played with such lack of passion for their shirt however. Unfortunate footage, but I suspect you would find every nation in the world celebrating a win for David over Goliath! Come on Wales !!!![/quote]

Yeah right!

So when England plays Germany all the Scots, Welsh and Irish are rooting for the underdog.

Just ask yourself why the Welsh team celebrated Iceland’s win.

Was it just support for the underdog or support for anyone who plays England?

They were delighted to see us go out because it meant that they were then top of the UK+NI pile (by the way the Republic of Ireland is not in the UK).

If it was simply a case of supporting our Welsh brothers and the soft core fans then fine.

But that means supporting the Welsh hard core and the Welsh team and clearly they just don’t like us.

Those supporting Wales, ask your self would I support that team in blue down the road against say Man U in the FA cup?

Agree with a few on here, now England are out I''ll certainly back any of the remaining home countries, in this case, Wales. I think they have enough to give Belgium a run for their money, and would love to see them progress.

As for Iceland, always love an underdog!

Greece, anyone?!

I could not care less who wins tonight. It is just another game to watch and all i hope is it is worth 90 minutes or whatever of my time.

I don''t think the Welsh have quite forgiven the English for gradually taking over their kingdoms from the 11th century. Jeez, some people really hold a grudge!

[quote user="Fuzzar"]I don''t think the Welsh have quite forgiven the English for gradually taking over their kingdoms from the 11th century. Jeez, some people really hold a grudge![/quote]

In that case, maybe they should vote themselves out of the UK like they did the EU.  It would mean we wouldn''t have to ''bale'' them out when the EU funding they get dries up........[;)]

Waaaaaaah, those men rightly mocked my team on social media because they were rubbish.I''ll support whoever is playing them next, that''ll show ''em.[:D]

Can''t ever bring myself to support those who will always support whoever is playing against us.......spend quite a bit of time in Wales and they really don''t like us....also lived in Scotland for nearly 7 years and have witnessed Scottish lads buying other nations shirts to wear when they played England, and even worse, i know 4 Scottish lads who purposely went out and bought Bayern shirts when we played them back in 93......

Does that make me bitter? Maybe so, but only in response to the treatment I received. Always used to support the home nations until I lived outside England. Now i never will.

Come on Belgium!

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]Can''t ever bring myself to support those who will always support whoever is playing against us.......spend quite a bit of time in Wales and they really don''t like us....also lived in Scotland for nearly 7 years and have witnessed Scottish lads buying other nations shirts to wear when they played England, and even worse, i know 4 Scottish lads who purposely went out and bought Bayern shirts when we played them back in 93......

Does that make me bitter? Maybe so, but only in response to the treatment I received. Always used to support the home nations until I lived outside England. Now i never will.

Come on Belgium![/quote]

Awww, did the football banter make you all hurty inside? [:(][;)]

If england were still in then cmon wales.

however I now want to be entertained so its the far more entertaining & talented Belgians for me now.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]If england were still in then cmon wales.

however I now want to be entertained so its the far more entertaining & talented Belgians for me now.[/quote]It has been a very, very dull tournament so far.

No, but it did change my attitude. If it had just been banter it would be different. What I experienced on numerous occasions wasn''t banter, it was deep-seated irrational hatred of an entire nation. Go figure.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]No, but it did change my attitude. If it had just been banter it would be different. What I experienced on numerous occasions wasn''t banter, it was deep-seated irrational hatred of an entire nation. Go figure.[/quote]So say, Germany, or France were playing Scotland, you''d hope Scotland lose? Most Scots I know see the banter as mostly tongue in cheek, its rarely nasty.I am actually Scottish but support England, as I never took an interest in football in the short time I lived there. I have lived in Wales too, and had a kicking basically for not being Welsh.I can still find it in my heart to wish them well though.

Well, that''s a bit like asking who I want to win when Wolves play 1p5wich, isn''t it? 0-0 with 3 sent off each and 3 or 4 injuries please!

It might well be that it was just the area I lived, north of Aberdeen, but it was genuine bile and hatred of the English.

To be perfectly honest, I couldn''t care less what the other home nations do unless they are playing England. I just like to see good football played in the right spirit and teams that know who they are. If Wales overcome Belgium tonight playing in that fashion then I will be happy for them - but I won''t be supporting them.

I couldn''t really care less about the players celebrating a win for Iceland, although it''s clear from some of the comments they''re not massive fans of England!
I do struggle to get behind a team though, where their own fans are so keen and desperate to see England fail! So nah, not supporting them. They''re not even good to watch so there''s nothing to go for really!

[quote user="Move Klose"]Fuck the Welsh, they hate us, hope they get battered.[/quote]Battered Wales?  I think I''ll stick to cod.......

Wales to get tonked 3 or 4 nil and very enjoyable that will be , they really are nowhere near as good as they think they are lets face it the only team England managed to beat .Rep of Ireland were the standout home team for me their fixtures were very tough and they still put up a decent show .

Don''t understand why they are allowed to dislike us, but we aren''t allowed, by some, to dislike them. I can dislike whoever I like, and for whatever reason, the Welsh and Scottish football teams are amongst them, as are pretty much any Australian sporting team which is probably an even stronger negative reaction. But perversely I quite like the French football team and I''m actually rooting for Germany to win the tournament overall.