Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Worrying signs

I''m always amused by the linear nature some football fans think transfers are done in

When the hit rumour we have signed the Liverpool winger came in the first response I saw was "we need to be buying centre backs and strikers!!!!"

This is how they think it goes. We have a conference call with Liverpool about him signing

"Thank you for your interest, we will get back to you"

"Okay, goodbye"

"Now, should we inquire about that cente..."

"NO!"

"Excuse me?"

"NO! Do NOT touch that phone! We do one transfer at a time, 1 enquiry at a time! Once we have dealt with this one we can look at centre backs!"

When I''m pretty sure in reality what happens is players are isolated, dozens of requests are sent out and when a window of opportunity to do a deal on a player presents itself then a transfer takes place.

Multiple requests and deals are trying to go through. Not all move at the same speed. No-one is twiddling their thumbs.

Opening poster - DCB
Not quite sure what you''re so worried about, McNally didnt jump ship, he hasn''t gone anywhere else yet, he resigned after a disappointing season and took his share of the blame.
We have a very capable Interim CEO in charge and it''s business as usual at Carrow Road, since he''s been in charge he and his team have got us sponsors for the shirt, a great sponsorship deal for the South Stand , a great price for Redmond, they will get a decent price for Brady Im sure, pre season friendlies are all sorted, the Austrian tours is sorted, several key players have committed to staying so we have a very decent championship squad. There''s plenty of time to get 2/3 more players in and Im sure Alex and his team are working hard to identify players they want.
There''s no need to panic!
Hairy - Would be interested to know what your concerns are re Alex, he has got himself an experienced coach on board to help him and he proved he had what it takes to get us promoted last time and you have to admit we have a pretty strong championship side?

Well i guess the executive directors responsible for the last three summer windows have left the club Kingo. So at least we have a clean slate there. Plus of course Tony Spearing.

There are a number of areas where he worries me Diane, and other areas where I think he does well - motivating the team and generally keeping team spirit going during a relegation fight for example.

On the down side I don''t think he ever worked out our best 11 throughout the whole of last season. We chopped and changed so much it was untrue. Brady v Olsson at LB, should Martin be centre back, Mbokani or Jerome up front, Howson wide, Redmond in and out. We never managed to get a settled team or allowed crucial understandings to develop. This was particularly true at the back where it is most important. Preferring Jerome over Mbokani too often proved a major error of judgement in my opinion. Mbokani wasn''t a world beater but his chance taking was way better than Jeromes.

In the same way our style of play chopped and changed all season. We went from what many of us thought was a good balance at the start of the season (mirroring our Championship style) to all out defence following the tactical mess up at Newcasle, and then at times all out attack towards the end of the season. I know you can''t play the same way at Man City away as you do Villa at home but the same formations can be retained. For example we went with three centre halves at one point of the season and two wing backs (Pinto being one). It worked well, allowing both attack and defence as situations develop. Then suddenly off we went to Palace away with a flat back four and hardly mounted a worthwhile attack.

Tactically I felt he was outdone, with substitutions coming after the oposition had made their changes or more likely simply swapping players on a one for one basis. The classic was Sunderland at home. They needed to win. We needed not to lose. Looking at the game you would have thought it was the other way round and unfortunately Alladice''s experience told in the end. I certainly don''t feel we had a worse squad than Sunderland.

Perhaps the biggest failing was our game play. The times we had winning positions and weren''t able to manage the end game to see us through with a victory were far too many. Many good teams in the PL so I understand it''s not easy but the hardest part is getting yourself into a winning position. Liverpool and West Ham at home were shocking. Two goals ahead and still pushing high up the pitch only to get caught on the break, twice, is just plain poor.

We had a tough ask staying up last season and probably finished somewhere around where you would expect us to finish on paper. Sunderland and Bournmouth did better than their squads suggested and that is down to having a manager who got more out of his team than the sum of the parts. We didn''t.

To be fair there will probably be a few who want to leave Villa & Newcastle. So they need to get there business done so they can replace the players leaving Townsend for Ritchie for example.

We have a pretty big squad for this level and probably need a few to go if anything.

Ruddy

Pinto Bennett Klose Olsson

Tettey Howson

Naismith Hoolahan Jarvis

Jerome

Rudd

Martin Turner Bassong Whittaker

Dorrans Mulumbu

Odjija Maddison Andreu

Wolfswinkel

Kean Toffolo Mcgrandles Thompson Lafferty Ja.Murphy Jo.Murphy Morris

Obviously Brady not included. I would say maybe a few need to go before any come in.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Worrying signs that a load of grown men are whining like spoilt children because we haven''t signed a player yet.[/quote]

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I have to agree with Mortys on this one - AN said himself just over four weeks ago that not much business would/w be done by most clubs while the Euros are being played. They still are........so I doubt myself NCFC won''t be signing anyone just yet......but that''s not to say things aren''t happening behind the scenes!

The Euros excuse rings a bit hollow though when you look at others. Only us, Derby and Wolves have not made any signings so far, so clearly others are able to get business done during the Euros. It is sounding a bit like the excuses we used to hear from Doncaster about how nothing gets done early etc etc.

As it stands we''ve got a very good squad capable of being competitive in the division. With two or three additions in keys areas we will be right in the mix. Still over 7 weeks of the window left - no need to panic just yet.

My concern is there will be a very limited influx of players this summer as it appears the club are gambling with most of the squad they have got on higher than normal Championship wages.

The first £20M (i.e Redmond and Brady) or so from transfers will not be spent. Once we have sold one or two more I can see us buying the odd £2M/£1M player, but that''s it.

I think this philosophy is a mistake. The squad needs freshening up and certain players who think they will be top drawer in The Championship won''t be.

They gambled in January and are gambling again. I see nothing so far that convinces me that Norwich City will get promoted and if that indeed will be the case, the gamble means they will be in this league for years.

@Rich T

I think people might be more patient if we hadn''t cocked it up so badly last summer. There was a lot of similar talk about how it was only July we shouldn''t be worried about the lack of signings, then it got to August and people said ''the window doesn''t close until August 31st.'' Then come September 1st we were left with the realisation that we''d failed to address some of the key needs the squad had. So I can understand people maybe being less forgiving this time around.

Yer although I''m not worried about transfers because I don''t think we need that much and the will come. But I totally understand peoples views because of the transfer window last Sumner.

I get that KC, as it stands we only ''need'' to add a couple of forwards if nothing else changes as Jarvis should be more than that capable of replacing Redmond for a championship campaign.

Of course it looks certain that we will probably need to replace Brady but can''t see many others going so therefore is someone like Canos going to be enough.

The squad is big as it is so can''t see loads coming in if only Brady goes.

Who else might go, the only other maybe would be Olsson.

It is early days and a long way to go in the window but we play a good few games before the window closes.

The squad needs a bit of a freshen up. Which it did last year but it didn''t really get what it needed.

Getting relegated without a great deal of fight and losing the chief exec etc... I feel the club and fans need a boost that the downward spiral is recognised and being fought.

[quote user="GJP"]It is early days and a long way to go in the window but we play a good few games before the window closes.

The squad needs a bit of a freshen up. Which it did last year but it didn''t really get what it needed.

Getting relegated without a great deal of fight and losing the chief exec etc... I feel the club and fans need a boost that the downward spiral is recognised and being fought.[/quote]Depends how mentally fragile they are, I guess.And  how much you think the club is in turmoil. I''d rather assume they are quietly, and efficiently, getting on with things, until I hear otherwise.

Sort of.

But we all know that "togetherness" can take you a long way in football.

I don''t particularly think there has been a great togetherness in recent months.

[quote user="GJP"]Sort of.

But we all know that "togetherness" can take you a long way in football.

I don''t particularly think there has been a great togetherness in recent months.[/quote]I hear what you''re saying.But very much depends on your outlook on life. Theres idiots here, and everywhere who literally can''t wait to hold a big sign up saying "Look how awful my football club is".Says more about them frankly, than the state of our great football club.

[quote user="GJP"]There are those.

But I''m not one of them.[/quote]No. No you''re not.[Y]

I''m CTID but I''m also a realist. I know there will be ups and downs supporting Norwich for as long as I live.

At the moment and for the last few months I am not really feeling it in terms of thinking the club is going back on the up.

[quote user="GJP"]I''m CTID but I''m also a realist. I know there will be ups and downs supporting Norwich for as long as I live.

At the moment and for the last few months I am not really feeling it in terms of thinking the club is going back on the up.[/quote]Yeah I can understand your point of view, that seems balanced.Trouble is with lack of info people will just make their own versions up.We have a big screen, and a new kit everyone likes, the futures bright[;)]

The trouble with the ''we only need a couple'' argument is that we''re going to need to replace several players who won''t be here in the next 2-3 years.We''re either leaving it very late and are happy to wring more ''value'' out of an older side, or we''re hoping that some of the very young and inexperienced buys are ready by the time the older players leave. Lots of old and lots of young, with relatively few in between.Because we''ve failed to invest in the past we''re now having to take unnecessary risks in order to both achieve promotion and develop the squad.

[quote user="93vintage"]The trouble with the ''we only need a couple'' argument is that we''re going to need to replace several players who won''t be here in the next 2-3 years.We''re either leaving it very late and are happy to wring more ''value'' out of an older side, or we''re hoping that some of the very young and inexperienced buys are ready by the time the older players leave. Lots of old and lots of young, with relatively few in between.Because we''ve failed to invest in the past we''re now having to take unnecessary risks in order to both achieve promotion and develop the squad.[/quote]Or perhaps it really isn''t as simple, as it first appears in your head?Perhaps if it was easy as it was on Championship manager, every single team would be successful? You want me to list teams who feel they have a right to punch above their weight?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"]The trouble with the ''we only need a couple'' argument is that we''re going to need to replace several players who won''t be here in the next 2-3 years.We''re either leaving it very late and are happy to wring more ''value'' out of an older side, or we''re hoping that some of the very young and inexperienced buys are ready by the time the older players leave. Lots of old and lots of young, with relatively few in between.Because we''ve failed to invest in the past we''re now having to take unnecessary risks in order to both achieve promotion and develop the squad.[/quote]Or perhaps it really isn''t as simple, as it first appears in your head?Perhaps if it was easy as it was on Championship manager, every single team would be successful? You want me to list teams who feel they have a right to punch above their weight?[/quote]I never said it was simple. Even if we aspire to be a yo-yo team then we''ll need to invest in development in a more sustained way than has been the case in the last few seasons. I can''t see much wrong with thinking that.

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"]The trouble with the ''we only need a couple'' argument is that we''re going to need to replace several players who won''t be here in the next 2-3 years.We''re either leaving it very late and are happy to wring more ''value'' out of an older side, or we''re hoping that some of the very young and inexperienced buys are ready by the time the older players leave. Lots of old and lots of young, with relatively few in between.Because we''ve failed to invest in the past we''re now having to take unnecessary risks in order to both achieve promotion and develop the squad.[/quote]Or perhaps it really isn''t as simple, as it first appears in your head?Perhaps if it was easy as it was on Championship manager, every single team would be successful? You want me to list teams who feel they have a right to punch above their weight?[/quote]I never said it was simple. Even if we aspire to be a yo-yo team then we''ll need to invest in development in a more sustained way than has been the case in the last few seasons. I can''t see much wrong with thinking that.[/quote]Oh right, that sounds easy. Care to expand?