Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Worrying signs

I am still concerned that all is far from well at the club.

A chairman who resigns weeks after being re-appointed

A CEO who jumps ship soon after and isn''t replaced

A clear case of nepotism from the old guard as nephews and friends join the board

A company assigned to make transfers suggesting nobody is capable within and no clear targets

Targets mentioned in press then signed by others- Gayle, Fletcher, Gudmunsson.

No signings made 4 weeks before end of season

am I alone in feeling lessons have not been learned from last summer and that there is something not quite right? Doubtless the usual brigade will accuse me of pant wetting, etc...as they did every step of the way to relegation last time people decried the window. But, at present, things do not look rosy to me

On the signings front I would try not to panic ... although it is tempting to as, day by day, other clubs bring in more and more fresh faces!

It is still early days in the window. Burnley didn''t sign Andre Grey until Aug 21st last year and like us they only really needed a top striker to add to their starting line up.

I live in the assumption that the club is still burned with the stupidity of last summer''s window and will be at pains not to repeat it.

I share those worries Dean.

Still a way to go and the squad is decent for this level. AN worries me though and I feel we need the impetus of new blood and enthusiasm, which is looking unlikely as its very tough to shrug off the disappointment of relegation.

So what you are saying is that the clubs iinnnnnnnnnn.....?

I share your concerns Dean, it''s the usual wait and see but as things stand its not great.

My personal favourite worrying sign is that one with the falling rocks on it.

It''s like, thanks for the info, but what the hell am I supposed to do if a boulder hits my car?

Another worrying sign is "welcome to Suffolk. The county of brotherly love"

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]I am still concerned that all is far from well at the club.

A chairman who resigns weeks after being re-appointed

A CEO who jumps ship soon after and isn''t replaced

A clear case of nepotism from the old guard as nephews and friends join the board

A company assigned to make transfers suggesting nobody is capable within and no clear targets

Targets mentioned in press then signed by others- Gayle, Fletcher, Gudmunsson.

No signings made 4 weeks before end of season

am I alone in feeling lessons have not been learned from last summer and that there is something not quite right? Doubtless the usual brigade will accuse me of pant wetting, etc...as they did every step of the way to relegation last time people decried the window. But, at present, things do not look rosy to me[/quote]Do you know what players are targets? Do you know if those names linked in the press were actually even targets?If I owned a football club, would I give it to my kids, yes I would.We have a capable interim CEO, whats the rush? Do you think everyone at the club is sat at their desks, looking bemused and getting nothing done, just because we don''t have a new CEO?Why naturally assume everything is negative?

It amazes me Morty how many people are negative, I''m not a happy clapper but it''s the 6th of July, clubs have only just returned, they will be assessing squads, looking at offers, trying to line up replacements etc etc!

So many people fall for believing press speculation, the only time I get excited about a new signing or potential new signing is either when it happens or when CUSDP tips us the wink.

The Euro''s are still ongoing so a lot of clubs linked to the crazy transfer merry-go-round are now either still in it or on a holiday.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]It amazes me Morty how many people are negative, I''m not a happy clapper but it''s the 6th of July, clubs have only just returned, they will be assessing squads, looking at offers, trying to line up replacements etc etc!

So many people fall for believing press speculation, the only time I get excited about a new signing or potential new signing is either when it happens or when CUSDP tips us the wink.

The Euro''s are still ongoing so a lot of clubs linked to the crazy transfer merry-go-round are now either still in it or on a holiday.[/quote]Never have and never will understand people who literally fall over themselves to proclaim just how sh1t the football team they support is.Really, really don''t get their outlook on life.

In some ways I think the fact we f*cked the transfer window so badly last summer has got people just looking for signs of a repeat. It is far too early to panic but if we hadn''t waited for so long and failed to invest last summer people might be a bit more forgiving this summer.

Do yourself a favour peeps and put "clubs in crisis" into Twitter

There you will find a literal human mess of prophets declaring that their sports team, not football team, this crosses all sports, is "in crisis"

The race to be the first to have predicted doom is one I''ll never understand. If we f£&@ up I won''t find solace in an "I told you so", freaking weirdos.

When someone''s nailing a foreclosure notice to the Gunn club doors then you can freak out.

Would be interesting to see how some of these over critical people on would do if they were in the hot seat for the day, maybe they will realise it''s not that easy!

Buying players is no different to hiring people, you do it based on CV''s, some surprise you and are better than expected, some aren''t and in most cases the candidate isn''t just considering one job and there will be other considerations to take on board.

Some people on here seem to think that we show interest in a player and automatically he should signing!?!

@Rich T

That is rubbish- buying players is far different to hiring people.

I work in recruitment and would love it if we could extensively watch our potential candidates doing their job at at a different company before we hired them. I''d love it if we would have access to endless film, performance stats and metrics from their last job before we hired. I''d love it if we could loan a new member of staff off a competitor for 6 months before hiring them.

KC you have taken me literally, the point I was trying to make is that in both environments you make selections based on what you either read or see, the key point is that many players have been bought based on stats, video''s or as some on here use YouTube clips (which only show the good stuff) but none of this actually means you get a great player.

Just about every club in existence has bought a player that they believed was right but turned in to something completely different, ie just like employing someone in the real world

Yes. But we''ve consistently done it badly. Your post seems to intimate its a bit pot luck- it isn''t. Some clubs are much better at identifying and signing players than others. We''ve been bad at it for the last three seasons.

The reason I made the point in my last post is that it should actually be easier than hiring people in the real world as you have all this data and knowledge in front of you as opposed to it being hidden away.

I''m not disagreeing with you KC it is different and should be easier and yes we have seemed to have had some duds but I suspect if you went to every club they have and will still do it.

The fact that we seem to do it so often either suggests we have the wrong people scouting for us or we make a mess of the players when we get them through the door, we can all make our own minds up as to which one it is and chances are it''s both!

I lost count over the years the number of good players I watch play reserve team matches on trial who we ended up giving contracts to who turned out not to be the player he looked when trying to get a contract, the topic slightly further is a great example!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]In the real world but not on football manager...[/quote]

Happens there too i''m afraid!

FM 14, I''m sat in the PL, desperate for a striker on deadline day, in comes David N''Gog with rubbish "stats" as he''s the best left and BAM! Absolutely destroys the premiership! I kept buying world class forwards for many a window afterwards but none got to the levels N''Gog reached and ultimately flopped!

Sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture and buy players more on how they fit into our style and system rather than what they individually bring. To me you need 8 or 9 solid members of an 11 with 2 or 3 trump cards you build around and then a couple of solid players on the bench and a couple of wild cards that can change a game but perhaps aren''t the complete player hence why they don''t start.

We''ve lost a trump card in Redmond but still have Brady and Klose as it stands and we lacked a trump card up front last season. We also lacked a solid defender to partner Klose.

That leaves us needing a trump card on the wing (Canos...) and up front (struggling here) and a solid CB (Delaney, Lees...). 3 buys and we could be ready to go in my book depending on who leaves or gets injured/ how we start the season.

If you want to look at the bigger picture then you will see that with total amateurs in control of our club we are still punching way above our financial weight. If, as well as these amateurs, we''re also worse than the rest at recruitment then how the feck are we managing it?

I think McNally''s time was spent anyway, he was great when needed in League 1, and the rise through the Championship. I know he was disliked by the majority, rather then the minority for his Bullish approach and was THE major reason for Bowkett to resign as the Chairman prior to Ed Balls being appointed.

The facts are non of us knows the true goings on behind the club, like most of us won''t know the true goings on behind our respective companies - but we all know we get paid, the businesses are doing well and we just have to trust in the broad of directors that they are doing the correct thing.

Most of the ''rumours'' are to fill column inches, and we probably haven''t even made enquiries for most of these.

Keep the faith, it''ll all pan out how we want it to in the end.

@nutty

See what you''re doing there is putting a pretty reasonable and defendable argument (we''ve been pretty crap at player recruitment for the last few years) combined it with something a bit ridiculous (our club is run by amateurs that don''t have a clue) to create a straw man.

Well to be fair I think most fans believe their clubs are run by amateurs and are pretty **** at player recruitment. I don''t think we''re below average in either. But if course we should aim for excellence and hopefully we do.

I don''t get how you can look at our recent transfer history compared with other clubs of similar stature and not see us as being ''below average'' but each to their own I guess.

I just think it''s a bit facetious to take an argument like ''our club is run by amateurs'' that hasn''t been mentioned in this thread and is generally wheeled out by cranks like Alartz, to discredit any real concerns people might have.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Large, angry looking spots on your manhood, that''s a worrying sign.[/quote]

Now we know why you are called Mr. Angry!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well to be fair I think most fans believe their clubs are run by amateurs and are pretty **** at player recruitment. I don''t think we''re below average in either. But if course we should aim for excellence and hopefully we do.[/quote]

Running a football club is full of ups and downs, but the stability and success we have had over the last 19 years has been remarkable considering where we were financially.  Mistakes are made of course, but overall it has been a roller coaster of a ride, full of excitement and success in amongst the times when things were less positive.  The recruitment of players is a difficult one to be sure about because of the nature of the game and many clubs being able to offer more financially than we can.  Under McNally we kept a tight ship financially and that is really important, because we could so easily have overspent trying to compete with clubs with rich owners, got ourselves back into serious debt, still got relegated and have no way of paying it back.  Power to McNally on that front.  I hope as we get a new CEO in that philosophy remains, because it is a very quick route to becoming a debt ridden failed club if you are not careful. Ask Bolton - good players over the years, ambitious, new all singing all dancing stadium - all resulting in the ruination of the club. 

Based on the players currently still under contract with the club, if the season was to start this Saturday we''d have a pretty strong side!

We won''t know until 31/8 what our final squad is.