Sign in to follow this  
Big Vince

Never Happened Back In The Day

Could you''ve ever imagined Mr Chase hiring football agencies to buy and sell players?

It beggars belief that certain individuals have been sitting on the board for 20 years, yet have learnt precisely nothing about how football works and so they are not able to step up to the plate until a new chief executive is found.

Moreover, how much money is being taken away from the club in agency fees? Assuming they would take a 10% cut, that is a high price to pay for incompetence on the board.

[quote user="Big Vince"]Could you''ve ever imagined Mr Chase hiring football agencies to buy and sell players?

It beggars belief that certain individuals have been sitting on the board for 20 years, yet have learnt precisely nothing about how football works and so they are not able to step up to the plate until a new chief executive is found.

Moreover, how much money is being taken away from the club in agency fees? Assuming they would take a 10% cut, that is a high price to pay for incompetence on the board.[/quote]10%, is that the going rate then?To be honest Vince, I very much doubt it.

Hahahaha!

Robert Chase . . . . AGAIN!!!!

No I can''t imagine him hiring anyone to do sales or purchases on his behalf. Mainly because the purchases were few and far between and the sales - well he just put a for sale sign up outside the changing room. Worked a treat.

I think use of these agencies is far more common than people think - otherwise why would they exist?

As chicken says, we had no need to worry about purchases as we made hardly any. I always remember Robbie Earle choosing Wimbledon over us as ''they had more ambition''.

Funny how people forget that we had a lot more success on the pitch under Chase than we ever have had under Delia .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Funny how people forget that we had a lot more success on the pitch under Chase than we ever have had under Delia .[/quote]Nobody forgets it at all. But football was a very, very different animal then.And theres no denying Chase pushed the self destruct button by selling everyone.

Hello again. Such is the culture of secrecy at Carrow Road, all masterminded by Wynnie and the boy Ferrari, the following questions have received the following answers:

1. Why did Mr Bowkett leave?

Answer: Undisclosed.

2. Did he leave in a helicopter?

3. Was Mr Bowkett a real person or an avatar?

As you can see, everything at Carrow Road is pre-programmed.

1. How much did Mr Chase pocket?

2. How much did Mr Watling wallet?

3. How many match tickets were in Mr Chases brown envelopes?

Answer: Undisclosed but the envelopes were feckin'' ginormous...

[quote user="nutty nigel"] How many match tickets were in Mr Chases brown envelopes?

Answer: Undisclosed but the envelopes were feckin'' ginormous...[/quote]They were the favoured colour brown because i saw one the night before we played Vitesse in a Best Western Hotel in Arnham. It was delivered by Big Bob himself and given to Mac McKay. It contained £800 to settle the bar bill for a coach load of club staff and family members staying there. Mac bought me and my mates who were also staying there a round out of it as well. [Y]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Mac bought me and my mates who were also staying there a round out of it as well. [Y][/quote]OLD BILL ADMITS TO BRIBERY SHOCKER!! [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Mac bought me and my mates who were also staying there a round out of it as well. [Y][/quote]OLD BILL ADMITS TO BRIBERY SHOCKER!! [:S][/quote][:D]

I don''t think the use of agencies can be that common otherwise it wouldn''t have be seen as newsworthy for a major national broadsheet.

It wasn''t chase that was successful, it was he managers we had at the time.

As for most successful, what did we win? Milk Cup can''t really be attributed to him can it?

And when you look at the majority of our signings back then. Relatively little known players, of whom our management teams often got the best out of. Bowen, Crook etc - all reserve team players that came to us and were turned into stars.

I think Newman was our most expensive outlay back then, and that was on the back of selling other players who were sold for much much more.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Sir Arthur South was the chairman when we won the Milk Cup chicken.[/quote]

Yup . . . . some may have tried to argue that Chase had some influence in that don''t you worry.

I''ve said before that the present lot ought to take a few leaves out of Chase''s book. Maybe get an idea where they''ve been going wrong and seek to copy what Chase and the club as a whole did right.Broadly speaking, it was signing cheap younger players and astute trading in the transfer market which saw us do well, not being afraid to sell our best players and reinvest the profit in development. We benefited from continuity and playing a similar way for twenty years.Using football agents in such a direct manner is a symptom of a club that doesn''t know what it''s doing or where it''s going.

[URL=http://s957.photobucket.com/user/Nuff_Said/media/Mobile%20Uploads/493_zpsqyu3xxs5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae55/Nuff_Said/Mobile%20Uploads/493_zpsqyu3xxs5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="93vintage"]I''ve said before that the present lot ought to take a few leaves out of Chase''s book. Maybe get an idea where they''ve been going wrong and seek to copy what Chase and the club as a whole did right.Broadly speaking, it was signing cheap younger players and astute trading in the transfer market which saw us do well, not being afraid to sell our best players and reinvest the profit in development. We benefited from continuity and playing a similar way for twenty years.Using football agents in such a direct manner is a symptom of a club that doesn''t know what it''s doing or where it''s going.[/quote]

Spot on really. The thing to remember about Mr Chase was that he had a strategy that he applied every season and it worked. The strategy each season was as follows:

1. Sell big.

2. Reinvest in uncut diamonds (Bowen, Crook, Fleck, Townsend, Linighan, etc) and youth (Gordon, Fox, Sutton, Eadie, etc)

3. Get the boys Stringer and Williams to cut and polish the diamonds and develop the youth.

4. Win matches.

5. Rebuild the ground and buy new land, especially at Colney.

6. Balance the books.

This strategy worked a treat from 1986 to 1994 and as you say, the current lot could learn much from their predecessor. However, if they have been in post for 20 years and still not learnt how to run a football club, I doubt if they are going to start now. Trouble is, Delia and Wynnie will not lead from the front and prefer to take a semi-detached role using the chairman and chief executive as human shields when things go wrong. This deceitful form of leadership enables self-preservation for them, but adds nothing to the club.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="93vintage"]I''ve said before that the present lot ought to take a few leaves out of Chase''s book. Maybe get an idea where they''ve been going wrong and seek to copy what Chase and the club as a whole did right.

Broadly speaking, it was signing cheap younger players and astute trading in the transfer market which saw us do well, not being afraid to sell our best players and reinvest the profit in development. We benefited from continuity and playing a similar way for twenty years.

Using football agents in such a direct manner is a symptom of a club that doesn''t know what it''s doing or where it''s going.
[/quote] Spot on really. The thing to remember about Mr Chase was that he had a strategy that he applied every season and it worked. The strategy each season was as follows: 1. Sell big. 2. Reinvest in uncut diamonds (Bowen, Crook, Fleck, Townsend, Linighan, etc) and youth (Gordon, Fox, Sutton, Eadie, etc) 3. Get the boys Stringer and Williams to cut and polish the diamonds and develop the youth. 4. Win matches. 5. Rebuild the ground and buy new land, especially at Colney. 6. Balance the books. This strategy worked a treat from 1986 to 1994 and as you say, the current lot could learn much from their predecessor. However, if they have been in post for 20 years and still not learnt how to run a football club, I doubt if they are going to start now. Trouble is, Delia and Wynnie will not lead from the front and prefer to take a semi-detached role using the chairman and chief executive as human shields when things go wrong. This deceitful form of leadership enables self-preservation for them, but adds nothing to the club.[/quote]

You might want to look up this thing called the Bosman ruling, which funnily enough happened in 1995.

The whole point is that the buying low selling on high ''strategy'' was a gamble, it worked for a while but then fell in around his backside. I can''t believe we are rehashing this yet again, but people seem too be incapable of seeing the ''bad'' along with the ''good'' which is astonishing.

We''ve been round this over and over again so many times. A proper study of players sold and their replacements would be more enlightening. And don''t forget the youth players sold and their replacements. And Big Fat Bob''s legacy was a team struggling in the Championship not a team at the top of the Premier League in Europe.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]We''ve been round this over and over again so many times. A proper study of players sold and their replacements would be more enlightening. And don''t forget the youth players sold and their replacements. And Big Fat Bob''s legacy was a team struggling in the Championship not a team at the top of the Premier League in Europe.[/quote]

Mr Chase should be judged on his record at the helm and it is an inconvenient truth to many of the Delia-supporting clappy happers that he had 9 consecutive seasons in the top flight, 2 cup semi-finals and UEFA cup last 16. Delia by contrast has had 4 relegations, no cup record worth mentioning and has failed to even get a foothold in the top flight, let alone come anywhere near Europe. Moreover, Mr Chase left a lasting legacy of land purchased around the stadium and at Colney which has benefited the club since. He also realised when his time was up, something Delia and Wynnie don''t have to do because they can carry on using the chairman and chief executive as human shields, thus absolving themselves of all blame. Time we had an in/out referendum on Delia so that all the Labour supporting clappy happers can be defeated once and for all.

How about we judge Mr Chase on what happened to him and Delia on what happens to her. The revolution is a long time coming Vinny. Show some leadership man.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]How about we judge Mr Chase on what happened to him and Delia on what happens to her. The revolution is a long time coming Vinny. Show some leadership man.....[/quote]

Okay I shall write to Delia asking her to transfer her and Wynnie''s shares to me. You know what the answer to my enquiry will be:

UNDISCLOSED

Oh dear me talk about being economical with the truth......Chase balanced the books is see according to Big Vince so how about the £6 million debt inherited by Delia which twenty years ago is one hell of a sum. Why were Newsome and Ward sold for peanuts in a last ditch fire sale ?Big Vince claims Chase knew when to get out but will obviously claim it had nothing to do with Barclays Bank about to put a stop on his short term unsecured loans.As Nutty says we have been here a thousand times.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Oh dear me talk about being economical with the truth......Chase balanced the books is see according to Big Vince so how about the £6 million debt inherited by Delia which twenty years ago is one hell of a sum. Why were Newsome and Ward sold for peanuts in a last ditch fire sale ?Big Vince claims Chase knew when to get out but will obviously claim it had nothing to do with Barclays Bank about to put a stop on his short term unsecured loans.As Nutty says we have been here a thousand times.[/quote]I think people ought to read again what Big Vince wrote, as he''s one of the few on here that''s talking sense.I wouldn''t quote the Bosman ruling or claim that buying low and selling high were distinct reasons for Chase''s downfall. Bosman hurt clubs like Ajax, but is something which clubs have largely worked around via managing contracts etc. Unless you''re a team which can''t afford to give more than a two year contract it''s the same for everyone, and isn''t something that would negate a buy-to-develop transfer stategy.I don''t think Chase''s downfall was because of his dealings in the transfer market. I''d expect if someone went through the accounts from the period then they''d find he overstretched our finances in funding infrastructure projects, and was caught in a crunch when income fell off after relegation. More of a cashflow issue caused by trying to expand too quicky than an intrinsic problem with footballing strategy.The debt increased in the early years of the present owners'' tenure, which eventually lead to relegation to League One, near administration and the club needing to be bailed out. The football was never of the same standard as before, there never seemed to be a plan when it came to how we play or who we appointed as manager. Our performance in the transfer market and youth development has been much poorer (even afer accounting for the changes in academy recruitment rules).In recent years the club''s finances have apparently been well-managed, but only in the last couple has there been a recognition of the need for a plan regarding playing style. This should be good for consistency, but we''re still working against a legacy of underinvestment in infrastructure and weak performance in transfers in comparison to the Chase era. The relatively lower transfer income, which is nowhere near accounted for by the effects of Bosman ruling, has obviously had a negative effect.Even taking the massive jump in fees, wages and income into consideration, we''ve ended up paying into the transfer market much more than we''ve taken out compared to the late 80s and early 90s, when quite a few players were sold for large sums and we relied more on player development. Under Delia and Michael we''ve seen an era of higher inflation whereby income proportionally follows prices/fees, but the inflation to a reasonable degree is the same for everyone. The flood of money is illusory, we''ve suffered from a relative lack of money compared to Chase''s time.Apart from money, perhaps the biggest change is that we''re operating in a much more competitive and higher profile marketplace than under Chase. Our decline is a combination of our own poorer performance and the relatively better performance of other teams, as opposed to it being solely due to the latter.Other clubs having rich owners seems only a partially valid explanation for our lower position, especially if one considers the scale of the decline being out of proportion to this factor. It''s a popular excuse, but doesn''t account for our general disorganisation and over-reliance on non-transfer income to finance player purchases. Put another way, in order to compete against bigger and better financed clubs, we need to change strategy to something more like that of the Chase era, ie a time when we were much more competitive against bigger spending clubs.You can argue about where our ''natural'' league position ought to be in the present landscape. But for me it''s the recently highlighted lack of investment in Colney, the poor condition of our stadium and the poorer football which are tangible signs of a stagnation goes beyond what would be expected if lack of size and financial backing were the true reasons for our slip down the pecking order.Without the overstretching of our finances that undermined Chase and four years out of the last five in the Premier League, we ought to be doing a lot better than trying to mount a promotion challenge with an aging squad and a half empty wallet.