Sign in to follow this  
?

EFL cup

I see our academy has not been included in the teams taking part in this years EFL cup. I realise we have just been relegated (The Academy) but surely we would still be part of the top 16. Newcastle are included so relegation from the EPL doesn''t seem to affect it. Anybody know why?

It''s invitational so up to the FL who is invited.

Norwich could have been asked and turned it down - from what I understand many of the clubs listed as participating haven''t confirmed whether they will be accepting the invitation or not yet, so Norwich might still be involved.

I understood that they included 16 PL clubs, purely based on finishing position and we were 17th - both us and Villa weren''t included so it isn''t a ''snub''. Plenty of sides haven''t indicated whether they''ll play, we''re next in line if one doesn''t - though we might not be interested anyway.

The list is on the Beeb Bethnal, are you saying that list could change.

Branston, I was just asking if anybody knew and wasn''t referring to a snub. The finishing position doesn''t seem to come into it as Middlesbrough are included.

If you scroll down the articles on the homepage this was covered , we are next in line and get in if one of the big boys drop out .

This is the article I refer to; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36725310

Ron - you are dead right, if boro are included the PL finishing positions thing makes little sense. I thought I actually read it either here or on the NCFC site. Maybe it was based on u21 finishing positions and I misread it, but I don''t think so.

Norwich City’s development squad will not

take part in the new revamped Football League Trophy this season, unless

one of the big boys decline to enter the competition.

Under radical proposals put forward by the English Football

League at their summer AGM, the Premier League’s 15 ‘Category One’

academies, plus Newcastle United, have been invited to join clubs in

Leagues One and Two to compete in a new-style format. Relegated

Newcastle owe their invite to finishing higher than the Canaries in the

league pyramid last season.

Norwich City, the next highest-placed

league finisher after the Magpies, will only be invited to participate

should any of the 16 other elite academies reject the chance to enter.

The

competition will feature 16 groups of four teams, divided on a regional

basis, before a knock-out stage with the final at Wembley. Premier

League academies will be able to field teams aged under-23 with three

over-age outfield players and a goalkeeper permitted.

Supporters

groups have reacted angrily to the pilot proposals for the coming

season, amid fears it is the first step to incorporating Premier League

‘B’ teams in the English Football League. One of those, Against League 3

(AL3), has already rejected the EFL Trophy plans.

“The EFL and

its clubs are well aware football fans do not, and have never, supported

these plans,” said campaign manager James Cave. “AL3 has regularly

canvassed supporters and sought their opinion, as have organisations

like Supporters Direct.

“Our studies show over 75pc of lower

league fans are against the implementation of ‘B’ teams. Yet the ‘B’

teams idea is a mere symptom of a far larger problem in English

football: supporters are unrepresented by our FA, our leagues and often

our clubs."

Ah thanks CanaryOne, hadn''t seen that before.👍

Sorry if I am being thick, but does this mean that there is a 64 team competition and we are not allowed to take part?

If we are offered it I hope we turn it down. Scummy idea from the Premier League trying to turn lower league football into their reserve teams playground.

Basically yep. Lge 1 and 2 and 16 development squads.

....you don''t say! They didn''t finish higher than us, though, did they? I maybe misread it, but couldn''t really care less about this ''cup'', nor I''m guessing will supporters (or players) until the final.

The most interesting thing is actually that there''s several PL sides without academies (that qualify)....it does show they maybe aren''t required?

Premier League teams are invited. Boro are in the Premier League this season so they are invited.

There are 5 Premier League teams either without Cat 1 Acadmies or who turned down the invite so Newcastle were invited before Norwich due to finishing position last season, to make up the numbers.

What is the thinking in not allowing Championship teams to take part in this?

@Badger

Because this is to replace the Johnstone''s Paint Trophy. It isn''t a new competition it is essentially the Premier League taking over a lower league competition.

This thread is actually mis-named as it is the ''EFL Trophy'' we''re talking about, the ''EFL Cup'' is the old League Cup (ie the one we''ve won) - I believe both have been rebranded and are looking for new sponsors.

BP, yea I realised my mistake too late, and the edit button......oh wait.

According to F365 Liverpool and Man Utd have also turned it down and there are question marks over some of the other teams. It''s almost as though nobody asked the teams if they were interested in entering it.

http://www.football365.com/news/arsenal-and-chelsea-the-latest-to-reject-efl-invite

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/premier-league-clubs-opt-out-of-revamped-english-football-league-trophy?CMP=share_btn_tw

[quote user="TIL 1010"]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/premier-league-clubs-opt-out-of-revamped-english-football-league-trophy?CMP=share_btn_tw[/quote]Nearly twelve thousand posts and you don''t know how to provide a link!? [:O]Here -- [url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/08/premier-league-clubs-opt-out-of-revamped-english-football-league-trophy?CMP=share_btn_tw[/url]

Has Morty left you in charge of moderation and Policing this forum whilst he is away Jools ? [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Has Morty left you in charge of moderation and Policing this forum whilst he is away Jools ? [:P][/quote]Apologies for coming over a tad crotchety there - I had stubbed my toe approximately five minutes before making that post [li]

[quote user="Jools"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Has Morty left you in charge of moderation and Policing this forum whilst he is away Jools ? [:P][/quote]Apologies for coming over a tad crotchety there - I had stubbed my toe approximately five minutes before making that post [li][/quote][Y]