Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

O.T. Gazza..... So Sad,Tragic And Really Beyond Words.

The thing that''s really sad is that a paper would rather publish these pictures instead of getting him some help or at least setting up a campaign to get him some help.

I don''t like The Sun, but what can they do? He''s had lots of support from celebrity friends, he''s been in rehab loads of times but ultimately to no avail. Yes it''s sad but it''s nobody''s fault.

The loss of a mans dignity, one of the most gifted footballers I have ever seen.

A tragedy, but unfortunately life is full of many tragedies that we can do very little about.

So sad had world at his feet.what else does he want had so much help as other posters said I am afraid this is only going to end one way

So sad. People have tried to help him but he seems beyond it. Any stint in rehab merely seems like a countdown until the next time he falls off the wagon. Fear for Gazza. So many demons. So sad.

I recently watched the Euro 96 documentary and whilst all the other players happily reflected on that time, they all had their own lives and careers. Gazza is the one still stuck in that time. Struggling without the fame, fortune, adulation. Still struggling with being an ex footballer, never to have those times again.

I genuinely don''t think anything can truly aid him now because he will never have what he wants the most - his best days as a footballer back.

It''s horribly sad Tilly. Lives minutes away from me in Poole, problem is there are way too many people around here who like to ''help him'' with the booze, and he''s got many new ''friends'' and hangers on, seems to be knocking around a lot with an absolute tosser from Swanage, knowing what people know of him locally I hate to think what else Gazza''s possibly taking these days. It''s so frustrating to see, that man really could be having a great life if he wanted 🙁

The Sun are despicable. Of course it will sell papers and generate "clicks" but he seriously looks like he is on his way out. And we continue to gaze through the goldfish bowl waiting for it.

He''s ill. Desperately ill. Of course he needs to help himself but it seems that he has gone beyond that. I''m not sure what anyone can do but it feels a bit sick to be watching the demise of someone that captured the imagination of a nations football fans.

The illness has got a horrible hold on him, press intrusion won''t help, it might push him further down a very slippery slope. Maybe we haven''t learned anything from Best, he was given more chances than most would get but the problem at the heart of it was never solved.

Two simply brilliant footballers, both with years of wasted talent and they could have offered so much more to the game. Instead, we watch them squander the fame and fortune that they were never capable of dealing with and then lament the loss when they''re gone.

So much money, so young. Yes they''re in an enviable position but football needs to adapt to that and provide solid advice to these blokes. If not, left at home with thousands of pounds of disposable income and nothing to do for days on end while they can''t go out because everyone has a camera....well, it''s no surprise that it''s drink, gambling, drugs, women....we''ve created a monster (Sky too) but we don''t know how to handle it.

Sad, perhaps even tragic. How many more will we watch fall into the same abyss as Best and Gazza?

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]The Sun are despicable. Of course it will sell papers and generate "clicks" but he seriously looks like he is on his way out. And we continue to gaze through the goldfish bowl waiting for it.

He''s ill. Desperately ill. Of course he needs to help himself but it seems that he has gone beyond that. I''m not sure what anyone can do but it feels a bit sick to be watching the demise of someone that captured the imagination of a nations football fans.

The illness has got a horrible hold on him, press intrusion won''t help, it might push him further down a very slippery slope. Maybe we haven''t learned anything from Best, he was given more chances than most would get but the problem at the heart of it was never solved.

Two simply brilliant footballers, both with years of wasted talent and they could have offered so much more to the game. Instead, we watch them squander the fame and fortune that they were never capable of dealing with and then lament the loss when they''re gone.

So much money, so young. Yes they''re in an enviable position but football needs to adapt to that and provide solid advice to these blokes. If not, left at home with thousands of pounds of disposable income and nothing to do for days on end while they can''t go out because everyone has a camera....well, it''s no surprise that it''s drink, gambling, drugs, women....we''ve created a monster (Sky too) but we don''t know how to handle it.

Sad, perhaps even tragic. How many more will we watch fall into the same abyss as Best and Gazza?[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you say, but Best and Gazza are not special in one sense - there are many people who succumb to drink/drugs etc and   I don''t think you can really blame football, mobile phones with cameras, the Sun, or Sky or anything else because Gazza has a common affliction - his solace is drink and he can''t stop.   Anyone who knows someone who has this problem knows how destructive it is and you don''t have to be famous to have it. There is always help out there and Gazza has had plenty but while he is still with us and whilst those photos are pretty terrible to see, there is still hope for him.  But he has to want to get better, has to find a reason to get better.

This has been an on-going and public tragedy for some time now. Almost like a chronology of a suicide and reported by the press with all the subtlety of a public execution.

Having said that he has probably had more help than most in his position with this illness. It is actually slightly difficult to be over-sympathetic, although he continues to evoke this feeling in us.

It cannot be long before the inevitable. His liver, although used to working, must have long passed the retrieval stage whereby a daily dose of milk thistle would be of any use.

Agree Broadstairs he''s had more help than most. Expect some do gooder will try again.

I remember when he was high on cocaine and wanted to give that killer Moat a Pizza, been done for being 4 times over drink limit, beat his wife up, hit a the press guy who wanted to interview him.

What a waster. Good riddance

@ Daly - Lets just hope you never suffer from any addictions in your life because if you did, I''m fairly sure you wouldn''t see yourself as a waster and want people to say ''good riddance'' to you. Yes Gazza has had more help than most and he''s thrown that help back in people''s faces at times, but he''s a lost soul, has more demons than any of us will ever understand and chooses to drown those demons in alcohol. That doesn''t make him a waster. Nor should we say good riddance. He''s a human being.

We wish good riddance to the worst people in existence, the child killers etc, not Paul Gascoigne.

OK The good riddance was over the top but my daughter who had never done a bad thing in her life was struck down by breast cancer like thousands of other women. The hospitals are full of Gazza''s who take up beds. No one forces these wasters to become alcoholics or drug users.

Have some compassion for the people who become victims of cancers and illnesses not brought on by their lifestyle

Reasonable point Daly.

My biggest issue is that where are his family? He doesn''t need hangers on, an adoring public, or putting in rehab. He needs people around him who love him, he always has. Watch the film about him, and it''s plainly evident just how insecure he is.

He needs a loving friend or relative to care for him.

[quote user="daly"]OK The good riddance was over the top but my daughter who had never done a bad thing in her life was struck down by breast cancer like thousands of other women. The hospitals are full of Gazza''s who take up beds. No one forces these wasters to become alcoholics or drug users.

Have some compassion for the people who become victims of cancers and illnesses not brought on by their lifestyle[/quote]

How about we have compassion for everyone.  Bitterness gets you no-where.

''Have some compassion for the people who become victims of cancers and illnesses not brought on by their lifestyle''

The two aren''t mutually exclusive you know. I''ve never met anyone who is sympathetic to drug addicts but not people with cancer.

So you won''t mind if I tell you who you should have compassion for, and who you shouldn''t, then?

Knock yourself out. You then won''t mind if I disagree with you.

Considering you''ve been here awhile I thought you''d already have this forum lark down to be honest.

There is a marked difference between disagreeing with someone and telling them that they should behave differently.

We''ll leave it there.

Cool.

I''ll remember that next time you ''lecture'' someone about what they should and shouldn''t post on an internet forum.

Fill your boots fella 👍

Meanwhile, getting back on topic, do people show the same sympathy to a drunk down and out on the street?

Because gazza was good at football, is he more deserving of sympathy?

Alcoholism IS A DISEASE, a mental illness, complicated by the physical dependence on Alcohol, a double whammy.

My father was a brilliant, talented, funny and popular person, but he could not stop drinking. No one deserves to be made a spectacle of in their darkest hours....it is only likely to make them withdraw further, drink more, and repeat.

PG is one of many, with many more to come.

As Til said...Sad, Tragic.