Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Sergi Canos

@CUDSP

I''d go as far as to suggest if we''d just had Klose from the Summer we''d have stayed up. Made so much difference to our defence.

Whether the players signed in the January window were the right ones or not isn''t what I''m arguing. We all know the issues of scouting that Norwich have suffered since Lambert was around.

I was arguing that people are saying Norwich are incapable at signing players and haven''t learnt from that even when the January window has shown the opposite. The problems of last summer were seemingly removed and Norwich went out to sign players efficiently.

Klose wouldn''t have been available last summer, nor Pinto or Naismith.

I don''t think the winter breaks were the cause of the players taking time to settle in, more the adaption period to the Premier League.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Should be announced today or tomorrow.[/quote]

Have you heard something we haven''t, Bethnal?

How do you know that Pinto, Klose and Naismith were unavailable last summer, Bethnal?

Naismith was available but Everton didn''t sign their replacement so the deal fell through at the last hours.

I suppose so, yes. I''ve seen no evidence that Pinto and Klose were either available or unavailable during that summer. Not sure we were interested then.

I "understand" that we agreed pretty much everything for Koulibaly and Gayle only for the clubs to pull the plug late in the day.

Too many eggs in one basket? Perhaps, but it seems unlucky that we missed out on both. No doubt some would argue that if you throw the sink, bathtub and all the water in it at certain targets then you are destined to fail if they don''t materialise.

Bad luck, poor judgment or naivety? Take your pick I guess.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I "understand" that we agreed pretty much everything for Koulibaly and Gayle only for the clubs to pull the plug late in the day.

Too many eggs in one basket? Perhaps, but it seems unlucky that we missed out on both. No doubt some would argue that if you throw the sink, bathtub and all the water in it at certain targets then you are destined to fail if they don''t materialise.

Bad luck, poor judgment or naivety? Take your pick I guess.[/quote]
Yes, and I see Arsenal now want to sign him. Again, to ways of looking at it. Were we ''ambitious'' in the summer, something the board are constantly criticised for not being by trying to sign targets like this? Or, was it naive to think we could ever sign them? The one''s who have been crying for ambition can''t also bemoan our attempts to sign those players, however.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I "understand" that we agreed pretty much everything for Koulibaly and Gayle only for the clubs to pull the plug late in the day.

Yes, and I see Arsenal now want to sign him. Again, to ways of looking at it. Were we ''ambitious'' in the summer, something the board are constantly criticised for not being by trying to sign targets like this? Or, was it naive to think we could ever sign them? The one''s who have been crying for ambition can''t also bemoan our attempts to sign those players, however.
[/quote]

when I spoke to a well oiled An he told me about him, Van Dijk and Ranocchia.

@Row D Seat 7

Wolfsburg didn''t want to sell Klose in the summer or the winter window. However he pushed for the move in January as he wasn''t getting first team football and wanted to secure his place at the Euros. I doubt he would have pushed in the summer. He''d won his place in the first team the mid way through the previous season and probably felt he could keep it. This was scuppered by Wolfsburg signing Dante right at the end of August.

Several clubs tried to sign Pinto in the summer, but Zargreb wanted to keep hold of him while they were in the Champions League.

@Hogesar

I think you are right that Norwich tried to be a little too ambitious. Koulibaly has said Norwich made a big offer for him but Napoli rejected it out of hand so don''t think we were ever that close to getting him. Norwich also went after N''Koulou from Marsellie but that always seemed unlikely.

Part of having a good transfer strategy is knowing your limitations, it does look like Norwich rather over estimated who they could interest and lacked sufficient back up plans. They were also unfortunate, with the Gayle deal being cancelled right before the window shut they had little time to find someone else.

How the summer window is interpreted will be down to personal view as Duncan has said. Ultimately though, dispite what bad luck may have befallen us, we failed in that window and utmately IMO that''s was a major factor in our relegation.

My view is determined by the failed outcome ( as I see it) and the subsequent admission by AN that we were ill prepared.

What I would like to know is what we as a club have actually learned from that experience to improve our performance n the future.

Vanwink

I don''t think anyone would say Norwich didn''t fail in the summer window. Missed a host of targets and didn''t strengthen the obvious weakness in defence.

Norwich have since changed CEO, Chairman and brought in a new Head of Recruitment since that window. The 3 people, aside from AN, who have the most say in transfers. It would seem lessons were learnt, or at least a different approach is likely.

This is an interesting thread - but does anybody know if we are moving any closer to signing Canos or not?

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I "understand" that we agreed pretty much everything for Koulibaly and Gayle only for the clubs to pull the plug late in the day.

[/quote]

when I spoke to a well oiled An he told me about him, Van Dijk and Ranocchia.[/quote]"Well oiled" as in pished, or are you both into Turkish wrestling?

[quote user=" Badger"]This is an interesting thread - but does anybody know if we are moving any closer to signing Canos or not?[/quote]

Bethnal said the signing should be announced yesterday or today...

Typically good analysis Bethnal.

There is a further factor, which dovetails with your ''too ambitious'' observation, which is that AN was/is loyal to those players who have succeeded for him.

Thus it was strategically imperative that players brought in were clearly (including/especially to the players themselves) upgrades on the team that had just gained promotion.

Norwich were arguably a little strung along and used by some clubs (not least from Italy), but they were nevertheless at the table and in the game.

The inference - too commonly seen on this board - that those in charge are ''clueless'' or somehow unable to see that which is obvious, is naive. Your intelligent analysis that the real failure was over-ambition clashes with and undermines much of the pre-determined negativity through which some colour events.

An appreciation of the real nature of football, transfers, running a club, business and the Machiavellian machinations and blatant self-interest of some stakeholders inherent to it all - shown in much of your analysis - would help many develop more coherent views.

Parma

I was told by someone from the Liverpool side that it was all done apart from the media bit. That does seem to contradict some other reports so I''m less certain now. It does seem the original report Norwich had a bid accepted was premature so it probably hasn''t been rumbling on quite as long as it feels.

I don''t doubt he will be signed, but it might be going on a little longer than I was told.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I was told by someone from the Liverpool side that it was all done apart from the media bit. That does seem to contradict some other reports so I''m less certain now. It does seem the original report Norwich had a bid accepted was premature so it probably hasn''t been rumbling on quite as long as it feels.

I don''t doubt he will be signed, but it might be going on a little longer than I was told.[/quote]

Nice one Bethnal, here''s hoping 👍

Well I was told it will be finalised today or tomorrow. And when that turns out to be wrong I''ll let you know that it might be taking a bit longer.

[quote user="king canary"]Marketing team trying to work out an ill advised ''Feed the Wolf'' style campaign. Open the Can?[/quote]*considers long-overdue change of username*

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]You already have an appropriate profile picture.

(Which is fantastic btw, what a stunning album that is - Damo Suzuki at his best).[/quote]Ha! Did you know, I hadn''t actually realised the (now so obvious) symmetry. I was lucky enough to see Damo perform in Barcelona a few years ago – he''s spent the last 25 years travelling the world, gigging and freestyling vocals with random bands from wherever he happens to be at the time. Nice work if you can get it.Meanwhile, back on topic, has he signed yet ? (I mean Canos, not Suzuki) [;)]