Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Sergi Canos

It''s the usual situation of having a bid accepted, putting a decent contract in front of the player, and having his agent run round hawking him to different clubs to try and get a better deal, I''m afraid.

Or Icecream it could be that negotiating a contract which will cost the club millions of pounds is a complex and carefully handled process on both sides with many nuances to discuss such as release clauses, a host of bonuses based on many factors and relocation allowances. Not to forget of course completing due diligence and putting the player through extensive medicals, showing him the city and the club and allowing a young man time to consider other offers he has (Bristol City)or may get before making a decision that could be career defining for him at this very early stage.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]TBA tomorrow.[/quote]Hope you''re right!

If this isn''t confirmed early this week, are we to assume the deal is off? The pessimist in me is fearing an out of the blue announcement from Bristol saying he''s signed for them.

I guess it''s the fact that it was in the Liverpool Echo what seems a while ago (this linked with a lack of other info) that''s causing an issue for some people. It''ll be good to get it ''over the line'', I think the football parlance is!

I did wonder whether we''ll see him paraded in our new away kit?

It''s also the fact that we''re seeing Villa and Newcastle sign players so understandable that we''d become a bit anxious about signings, especially considering last summers mess up.

Newcastle have to complete renovate their squad, they will likely need 10 plus signings this window to cover the fact they will lose a lot of their main players.

Norwich in contrast will need only 2 or 3 first team additions and possibly a couple more to replace some unexpected outgoings.

Villa have signed two players so far, and considering how much they need to change their squad, they are in a far worse position than Norwich right now.

As I said, the time scale of the Canos deal so far isn''t particularly long, just the news of it got out much earlier than normal. It seems the Liverpool Echo jumped the gun saying Norwich''s offer had been accepted on Monday, but even so a week to ten days from offer accepted to contract signed and player paraded with a scarf is pretty standard.

Come on Bethnal enough with the logic and reason! There are a number of people on this message board who believe that a contract is simply a case of here''s 10k a week please sign here and it should be done in 2 minutes!

It''s not a case of being illogical. People on here will know of my correct knowledge in the past relating to behind the scenes info, so when I say that last summer Norwich had 5 players at Colney last summer that didn''t end up signing for us, I''d say that''s cause for some concern. Why were these players allowed to get away?! This is why I''m a bit concerned.

I didn''t want Fletcher or that lad from Reading but both have ended up at promotion rivals, yet I have it on good authority that we wanted them both. If that''s the case, and Alex believed these players could help us gain promotion, why did they slip through the net?

If what Row D says it sounds like these were players we were pretty far advanced with. If we had 5 players ''in the building'' and they got tempted somewhere else or chose to stay put it suggests were doing something wrong.

It would be different if we''d just had bids accepted.

I think it is pretty obvious why players some have slipped through the net - budgetary constraints.

That is part and parcel of being a Norwich fan and it will be for the foreseeable future.

Of the 5 players to come to Colney who didn''t sign we know one was rejected by AN (Lavierry) and one felt he wanted to play in Europe (Haller). The other 3, who knows? The fact Colney is a bit shabby can''t help (and is being rectified) but I wouldn''t worry about 5 players saying no. That again doesn''t seem out of the ordinary for most teams.

In the case of Fletcher there is no way Norwich should have matched the 4 year deal he was given by Sheff Wed - there is no budget that can match crazy.

Norwich had a tough summer, but then followed that with an excellent January. Why ignore the most recent window just to focus on the less successful one?

Did we have an excellent January? We spent a lot of money but still got relegated and only bought in one player who significantly improved our first 11. And last summer wasn''t ''less successful'' it was a shambles.

And you could look back at the last three summer windows and conclude they''ve all been a bit s*it.

The club is running out of credit in the transfers department for me and I''m much less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt than I was even 12 months ago.

Yeah not sure id call that Jan window successful. The reason for focussing on last summer is because that''s what effectively got us relegated. Tackling a premier league season with championship players.

Having 5 players in the building then losing them is awful business. I don''t know the way it works fully but if you get players in the building, before this happens you just have to give some indication of wages otherwise they wouldn''t waste their time. We just didn''t do enough.

I think it''s fair to be concerned at this summers window because our last summer window was such a mess up. I''m hoping we''ve learned lessons.

Once you get a player through the door, it''s all in your hands. He''s yours to lose. Losing five last summer was horrendous business.

It was excellent in the sense Norwich identified their targets and landed them. January is a much harder window to do business than the summer, so to get Klose, Naismith and Pinto all done was impressive work.

Whilst those players ultimately didn''t save Norwich, the fact the club landed them resulted in an ''excellent'' window.

I seem to remember Norwich were largely talked about as having the best January transfer window in the Premier League at the time. Hindsight shows us that it didn''t pan out as hoped.

I also remember lots of chat about how we''d had the best summer window when we signed RVW and Fer. Didn''t work out.

I''d say the success of a window is judged by whether you get your targets and then whether those targets play well. So the first bit was fine, second less so. The summer in the Championship was about the same.

Yes, success of a window overall is determined by how successful the signing are.

I was not talking about that, I was talking about Norwich''s ability to sign players - that was the context of my post and that is what the ''excellent'' referred to, I felt that was very clear. Identifying targets and signing targets are two very different things.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think it is pretty obvious why players some have slipped through the net - budgetary constraints.

That is part and parcel of being a Norwich fan and it will be for the foreseeable future.

Of the 5 players to come to Colney who didn''t sign we know one was rejected by AN (Lavierry) and one felt he wanted to play in Europe (Haller). The other 3, who knows? The fact Colney is a bit shabby can''t help (and is being rectified) but I wouldn''t worry about 5 players saying no. That again doesn''t seem out of the ordinary for most teams.

In the case of Fletcher there is no way Norwich should have matched the 4 year deal he was given by Sheff Wed - there is no budget that can match crazy.

Norwich had a tough summer, but then followed that with an excellent January. Why ignore the most recent window just to focus on the less successful one?[/quote]

One was also De Maio fro mGenoa

Bethnal, I think it is right that we highlight last summers transfer window as it set us up to ultimately fail. There were issues that we, as fans, could all see that needed addressing and for one reason or another were not. The winter window seemed to merely highlight those failures as we signed £20m worth of players in what you termed was the most difficult window to get business done! There are obvious concerns going into the new season that similar failures are not repeated, however, there''s still a while to go in this window so personally my judgement is on hold.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 11/07/2016 7:07 PM:

Yes, success of a window overall is determined by how successful the signing are.

I was not talking about that, I was talking about Norwich''s ability to sign players - that was the context of my post and that is what the ''excellent'' referred to, I felt that was very clear. Identifying targets and signing targets are two very different things.

To say the January transfer window was excellent is stretching the truth in my opinion. Good, would have been a better choice of word. Overall it was good, far from excellent.

Since the last summer window Norwich have a new recruitment team and a new Chairman. I understand the latter is large part of the reason we went from the summer struggles to the winter splurge.

Ultimately we will have to see how the window goes, although I do wonder if some fans are setting expectations unreasonably high, just to give themselves ammunition to knock the club down again.

Didn''t the club state they had made mistakes regarding transfer policy last summer? It''s not unreasonable for supporters to expect the club to rectify the mistakes made.

Surely the new chairman and new recruitment team are the steps to fixing the mistakes. I''m not saying last summer should be completely disregarded, but the more recent evidence is much more positive.

As for Norwich not having an excellent window (in terms of committing money and getting deals ''over the line'') it is worth pointing out the club broke it transfer record twice and was the 2nd highest spending club in Europe in January. Norwich spend as much as the whole of La Liga combined.

If that is only good, I wonder what it would take for it to be regarded excellent.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Surely the new chairman and new recruitment team are the steps to fixing the mistakes. I''m not saying last summer should be completely disregarded, but the more recent evidence is much more positive.

As for Norwich not having an excellent window (in terms of committing money and getting deals ''over the line'') it is worth pointing out the club broke it transfer record twice and was the 2nd highest spending club in Europe in January. Norwich spend as much as the whole of La Liga combined.

If that is only good, I wonder what it would take for it to be regarded excellent.[/quote]
I agree, I think our January window was excellent. You have to take it individually rather than grouping it with the summer window. Looking at it individually, i''m not sure we could have, or should have, done any more than we did in January. 

@Hogesar

I see it the opposite way- you can''t look at a window in isolation. We wouldn''t have needed to be spending so much and bringing in so many players if it wasn''t for what happened in the summer.

@Bethnal

Yes I''d agree in the very limited scope of ''identifying and signing targets'' January was excellent. Jury is out on whether they were the right targets but we did sign them.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Surely the new chairman and new recruitment team are the steps to fixing the mistakes. I''m not saying last summer should be completely disregarded, but the more recent evidence is much more positive.

If that is only good, I wonder what it would take for it to be regarded excellent.[/quote]
I agree, I think our January window was excellent. You have to take it individually rather than grouping it with the summer window. Looking at it individually, i''m not sure we could have, or should have, done any more than we did in January. 
[/quote]

On paper the January signings were "excellent".

Unfortunately though many arrived here unfit and we had to wait 2 months to start seeing them at their best.

Klose (winter break) Pinto (Winter break) Naismith (not been playing) Bamford (not been playing) and Godfrey and Maddison were bought for the future.

Our awful summer meant we had to go out and get numbers in.

Had we have got these boys in last summer and added again in the January I have no doubts that we would have stayed up