Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

Ricky. This is "his" year, right?

I wrote a little piece about our Ricky

http://www.alongcomenorwich.com/articles/time-to-scrap-the-van

If someone could make the link clicky I''d appreciate it as I can''t on my phone.

Thanks

Duncan

What''s he shown? He''s failed here, in France and in Spain. He scored against Rotherham a couple of seasons ago - that''s what some people seem to be basing his potential on.

Norwich have never played to RVW''s strengths. Unfortunately the majority of critics can''t see that potentially there''s a top footballer there. It''s a British character trait; we can''t wait to knock people down...

I suppose St Etienne and Betis didn''t play to those strengths either?

What are his strengths?

Look, if he "comes good" and bags 20 goals, I''ll be delighted. As I wrote, he''s still the signing that caused most excitement.

Won''t happen though.

''We can''t wait to knock people down.''

I think Ricky knocked himself down didn''t he? It''s not like he had a period of glorious success with us before hitting a rough patch- he''s been pretty much shit since day one.

All these people who are somehow able to see past all the terrible performances and lack of goals over the last three years to see his ''obvious qualities'' are either visionaries or deluded.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Norwich have never played to RVW''s strengths. Unfortunately the majority of critics can''t see that potentially there''s a top footballer there. It''s a British character trait; we can''t wait to knock people down...[/quote]

The year he played for St Etienne, they played right to his strengths. They played 2 wingers, got loads of crosses into the box and created lots of chances. And still he didn''t score regularly.

If we ease him back into the action with sub/league cup appearances and as we all now have zero expectations of him, in this league he might be useful in playing the same role Hooper played in our last promotion season he might do quite well in this league.

Being the main man, in a defensive, slow, rigid team in the PL completely ruined him. But that was now over two years ago and nothing is expected of him this year. Like a youth player breaking through he''d be cheered for every completed pass.

Depends whether he thinks he''s above that kind of role though. He''s good enough, just about, to be a second or third choice Championship striker and it would be a great story if he managed to finish his final season here scoring in double figures.

Tounge in cheek.With all these signings we have made not.we might have to play him

Like others have said, there''s no reason he can''t play the same role Hooper did in the last Championship season.

The last time he showed any class was in a lower league, playing for a team you would expect to be dominating and winning most of their games.

In other words, his move to Norwich can''t exactly get worse. Go on Ricky lad.

Even as one of RVW''s staunchest supporters I had to smile at the article [:D]And despite all that, I STILL think he could do a job for us IF we play the right sort of way and give him the right sort of balls. Just take a look at the clip here from a Betis game, it''s exactly the sort of pass that Wessi excels at, but then tell me how often we supplied that sort of ball for him during that god awful season?[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As1WhqtxmBI[/url]

[quote user="lake district canary"]He will stay and score 20+ goals for us this season.   You saw it here first.  [Y][/quote]
Nothing beats some good old heavy sarcasm [Y]

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Norwich have never played to RVW''s strengths. Unfortunately the majority of critics can''t see that potentially there''s a top footballer there. It''s a British character trait; we can''t wait to knock people down...[/quote]
[IMG]http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/93/9314cf7d3532726277cc02e0949c6915109e407391e1b8f38136c58b14a5e80c.jpg[/IMG]

Lafferty and RvW - two bang average (if even that) strikers that have managed to gain ridiculous amounts of love, despite not contributing anything at all to Norwich City. I''m baffled by it to be honest and will be overjoyed when the two of them have gone.

But at some point we saw enough in him to pay £8.5m and the Dutch national manager saw enough to give him a place in a squad. There just HAS to be something in there!!

I know that sometimes footballers just lose it, and tumble down the leagues but that''s usually because they get boozed or drugged up or gamble away in their spare time and don''t look after themselves. He has done none of those things (as far as we know).

Hughton DID destroy strikers and I still think he is worth a 4 or 5 game run in the Champs. Particularly if we have no-one else.......

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Lafferty and RvW - two bang average (if even that) strikers that have managed to gain ridiculous amounts of love, despite not contributing anything at all to Norwich City. I''m baffled by it to be honest and will be overjoyed when the two of them have gone.[/quote]
That''s my issue with people blaming the ''negativity'' of fans etc as I quoted above.
RvW is STILL being discussed as a potential striker for us after a record fee signing resulting in ONE premier league goal, followed by:
1) His agent coming out saying RvW wouldn''t play in the championship, as it''s not ''his stage''.
2) Him going on loan to St Etienne which, by all accounts is a mush easier league than the Premiership, less physical generally and with two out and out wingers suggesting this team played to his strengths so the hope was he would find his Sporting form. The result? 5 league goals in 28 apps, and not seen as a starter for them as the season went on.
3) Him coming back from St Etienne, having the opportunity to go back to Sporting, what better chance to get his career back on track? But he turned it down due to them not being able to match the insane wages he''s on here for what he''s delivered.
4) Him going out on loan again, this time to Real Betis, where again he wasn''t deemed good enough to be a regular. Anyway, he achieved 1 league goal in 17 apps.
Was the negativity of the fans an issue for both them clubs too? Or is Ricky maybe not good enough? Maybe we just signed a dud? It happens, in fact it has happened, with him.
To blame negativity from the fans is absolutely ridiculous - if he was at any other club he''d have been chased out of the city with pitchforks et al.
I''m all for giving him a chance in pre-season as that doesn''t cost us. But presuming he again fails to deliver I wouldn''t want him anywhere near the starting line up.

Ricky started only 16 games in the Prem, most of these were not the full 90 minutes. He never got consecutive starts of more than 2 or 3 games.

In France he started 24 games and scored 9 times.

In Spain he started only 8 games and scored 3 goals including the goal that kept them in the top flight.

Back at Norwich 1 game, 1 goal

Not brilliant but not the disaster that some people are claiming.

He needs toughen up for our league (like Bamford has) and hopefully we can get something back for the money we laid out. He has the potential if you look back beyond the three years.

So why all the abuse and negativity about one of our own players? Many people have failed before but didn''t cost as much, but that isn''t RVW''s fault.

I''m sure our manager will make the right decision so let''s see what happens

Much in agreement with curious here - the Bamford comparison is a good one.

Why spend money on a precocious talent when we already have one that given a run in the team could be beneficial

It has not worked out for him so far at City, we know that, but there''s a footballer in there somewhere - unless you''re stupid enough to believe he rose to senior levels of football by complete accident. I personally believe his major shortcoming is (or hopefully was) his apparent lack of mental strength, he seemed to crumble under the weight of expectation and lost confidence very very quickly once many got on his back, just looked totally shot to bits really.

I don''t think Neil would put up with anyone who was not committed to the cause completely. If Neil doesn''t want him here, I''m sure he can figure out a way to move him on or out in some capacity.

''Not brilliant but not the disaster that some people are claiming.''

I really don''t understand how you can look at this and say that.

He was our record signing.

He was bought to be our main striker.

He scored 1 goal and had no assists.

He''s since been loaned out twice and failed to make an impact at either club and we''ve been unable to sell him.

He''s been a total disaster. If Ipswich had signed a player like this we''d be pissing ourselves laughing.