Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Brigham

Some words on Nathan Redmond

As ever, an interesting read.

Nathan never fulfilled his undoubted potential at Norwich. Maybe that will happen at Saints. Or perhaps he will become one of those players where the penny never really drops. I wish him luck, either way.

Now there''s mr pieman, Lee Croft, is he still playing?

Problem is Southampton have rich owners. Norwich don''t have much money so we couldn''t offer Redmond a lot of money. Southampton obviously can give him loads of money!!

I think Steven Fletcher went to Sheffield Wednesday because someone in the club AN / Ed Balls didn''t offer him enough money. Players won''t sign for us unless we offer them enough money!! Just seems like Norwich don''t want to spend their cash.

He didn''t fulfill the level of "potential" that other people decided he should have and should reach.

I have to say, his departure was met with barely a whimper from fans.Never seen such apathy when a "star" player has been sold.

craigbrown2015 wrote the following post at 2016-07-03 2:13 PM:

Problem is Southampton have rich owners. Norwich don''t have much money so we couldn''t offer Redmond a lot of money. Southampton obviously can give him loads of money!!

I think Steven Fletcher went to Sheffield Wednesday because someone in the club AN / Ed Balls didn''t offer him enough money. Players won''t sign for us unless we offer them enough money!! Just seems like Norwich don''t want to spend their cash.

It was nothing to do with money.........fletcher himself wanted more than a two/three year contract, in fact he wanted four......which Sheffield Wednesday gave him.........four years down the line he''s 33.....!!!!

Morty - he''s English, 22, with just a year left on his contract and - despite a very up and down season - was a stand out player for us.

I think every single fan knew he would go. I would''ve loved him to stay and help fire us back up, but saw zero realistic scenarios that catered for this idea. That''s why there is no real uproar or sadness.

Much unlike the losses of Holt and Huckerby where people thought they could''ve stayed and continued what they were doing. Not putting him on that level of Norwich-player-pedestal - but on his day he was surely the most exciting player we''ve had in recent years baring those two.

We''ll miss him a lot next year IMO, I hope and expect to see him flourish in a strong team which can fully back his attacking attributes and permanently ''release the shackles''.

Great piece Dan as always BTW - captures my own sentiments far better than I ever could!

Don''t agree I''m afraid. Redmond cost us as many points as he won last season and hasn''t progressed at all since joining. He is not on the same planet as Holt or Huckerby, which is why no one cares that he''s gone.

I can''t believe we got £11m for him - they can''t have watched him play for us much.

The press loved him, and opposing team fans feared his reputation, but he did virtually nothing to justify it except perform in the occasional high profile game.

A poor man''s Theo Walcott. Josh Murphy is more exciting and is as good now as Redmond.

Let''s see where he is by Christmas - I suspect he''ll be back on the bench or out of the squad at Southampton.

Ha. Redmond is absolute miles ahead of either Murphy.

It''s all in the head.  Some players just don''t get it. You have to be 100% up for it for every second you are on the pitch, whether you are playing on a damp night in Blackburn, or whether you''re at Wembley in a cup final.   Not tracking back with the same intensity as you go forwards is one of the hardest things to do if you are a forward looking player, but if you don''t do it, you look lazy.   Redmond will do better at Southampton because the players around him will be better able to cope with him not doing the defensive work so he can concentrate on going forwards - and on his day he is unplayable at times.   I certainly wish he had stayed with us - his contribution got us promoted last time with his goals in the semi-final and final play off.   We''ll find it difficult to replace that ability.  Big match mentality?  Maybe, but surely we ought to be incredibly thankful for that, because without it, we might have been stuck in the chamionship rather longer than we were.  I''d wish him good luck, a fresh start for him - and an opporunity for one or both of the Murphys to step up. 

In regards to his inconsistancy last year it appears all season we''d been trying to get him to sign a contract:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10502328/neil-backs-redmond-at-southampton?

But Stoke and Southampton had asked players to tap him up and keep whispering in his ear:

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke-city-jack-butland-winces-at-nathan-redmond-failure/story-29512664-detail/story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSHYKYJTq14

Probably explains it then, he was being tapped up by other clubs constantly and had his focus taken away. Was probably thinking about whether to join Saints or Stoke when he should''ve been focusing on helping us stay up.

Extremely unprofessional from Stoke/Saints/Butland/JWP and whoever else was in his ear all last season!