Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Matt Jarvis Out For Up To 3 Months.

Couldn''t this be spotted prior to pre season presume Jarvis came back with the injury. If unfit he should have found out earlier suppose sitting on beach for last 10 weeks without exertion inflamed the injury. No loss based on last season Josh a ready replacement.

Poor signing just gets worse.

There were vague hopes that he might recover his past glories in the Chumps but now we have to hope/expect that once he is up and running one of the youngsters will have surpassed him in the pecking order.

Another drain on resources with little obvious justification.

We now have to continue to hope that Vadis and Mulumbu will prove to be better value and that RVW and Lafferty find new homes. At least with Tony Andreu there is nothing to hope for except perhaps a few thousand from a league one outfit, if that.

Keep feeding this bunch of losers and the wallet will really soon be empty.

It''s still beyond me why we signed him permanently.

Quality debut, dreadful thereafter.

Come on let''s get behind him rather than sinking in knives!

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and a barnstorming impact when he''s unleashed on Championship defences.

Could be a real gem at this level.

Well if and when Brady goes then I guess another winger will come in. Shame Jarvis couldn''t have got this surgery done at the end of the season.

I can only imagine this has flared up in pre season, surely if it had been known that he needed an OP end of last season it would have been done then and he would be well on the road to recovery by now.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Could be a real gem at this level.[/quote]He won''t be. He''s really not that good. One decent game & then zilch, including 2 or 3 easy missed sitters.We took a gamble with the loan and we should have left it at that until he showed some consistency.He didn''t, we bought him and now he''s crocked (again)Another £2.5m + wages down the proverbial.

He''s good on his day but he is inconsistent and you know he picks up his fair share of injuries so it''d be naive to plan on him being a regular.

I wish him a full recovery; but honestly having him out is not a massive loss in footballing terms, he doesn''t bring that much to the team and I''d rather see one of the Murphys get a chance instead... Can see him being sent out on loan in January as he won''t really have the fitness levels after coming back from this.

Assuming that Brady leaves, with Redmond gone and Jarvis out does that only leave us with Canos and Josh Murphy on the wings or am I forgetting someone?

[quote user="If wed only kept Howie.."]

Jerome, Naismith, Hoolahan, Dorrans, Olsson, Pinto and Vadis could all do a job on the wings[/quote]Now that has surely got to be with your tongue firmly in your cheek but if not you seriously have issues.

Is that even for real ?

Pinto, Olsson, Dorrans, Jerome on the wing ?

May aswell throw Whittaker, Tettey in there. Oh and Ruddy.

We dont want strikers in the wing, or fullbacks, or central midfielders.

Yes, it was for real. Perhaps the term "winger" is pushing it - I should have said "wide midfielder"..

But the original question was about squad depth.. I wasn''t suggesting them as first choices - but yes they CAN play in wide midfield positions.

Also it isn''t unusual for attacking fullbacks to move forwards (we''ve successfully played various fullbacks as wide midfielders).

I got what you were saying, we have also played Howson wide, albeit with limited success.

To be fair both Pinto and Olsson have played as wingers before, quite effectively as well... Though not necessarily for us...

It''s that debate about the difference between a winger and a wide mid-fielder and a full-back and a wing-back in the modern game.

Bill Punton''s last remaining hair would have fallen out if somebody had labelled him a mid-fielder, whilst Joe Mullet never ever went into the opponent''s half as a matter of principle. Both would have wanted their wages doubled to 17s 6d a week if required to perform such dual roles.

(P.S. I was nine at the time.)

[quote user="If wed only kept Howie"]Jerome, Naismith, Hoolahan, Dorrans, Olsson, Pinto and Vadis could all do a job on the wings[/quote]Wes has NEVER suited playing on the wings (and it''s only because he played there for Blackpool that this nonsense keeps popping up), Jerome is way less effective on the wing, and considering how at this stage he''s our no1 striker and target man then suggesting a wing move is madness. Naismith again is not a winger (in the same way that Wes isn''t), and Dorrans is far better in a central role (much like Howson).Vadis CAN do a job on the wing, but is still not an out-and-out winger and I''d argue that he''s better in a more central attacking/box-to-box role.Which means that out of those suggestions there''s only really Pinto and Olsson as truly viable options (and even then it''s somewhat debateable), but if we assume that Brady is likely to be moving on, do you really want to play these guys on the wing and leave LB and RB positions to a combination of Toffolo, Martin and Whittaker..........?????