Sign in to follow this  
morty

Closed season so far....

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We''ll know where we''ll finish in September.[/quote]Lol. [:D]No point in playing all those games then......

IMO the squad we have at this very moment is better than that which won at Wembley ( what a day!).

So i have to agree with Mort, So far, so good.

Canos looks to be an ideal replacement for Redders, good business all round.

For all the ''''no ambishun, clubs in crisis, wallets empty '' talk, we seem to, yet again , on the up. I''m not a happy clapper, there were times last season when i questioned ANs decisions, substitutions, and once, even his media statement.

But as the new season approaches, i can''t help feeling positive, Sorry.

For me the biggest signal that we are serious is the Robbie Bradys £20M price tag, it tells everyone that we dont need to sell but if you wanna buy then get yer Wonga out. Very satisfying.

AN''s statement saying that "we have several irons in several fires" indicates that not all our attempted dealings are public knowledge. There may be surprises ahead. I certainly hope so.

Sounds like loads of positives from yesterday. Lots of people very impressed with the younger players, especially the murphys, efete and Maddison.

Sounds to me that a lot of the yoof are hitting the right standard for the league we''re in.

The green shoots of recovery (sorry) are beginning to appear in quite a rew areas.

We all know just what is needed to make it a good, nay excellent, closed season though.

A marquee signing of a striker (and may be one more promising youngster from the lowers) and getting certain losers off the pay-roll.

Replacement in the central defensive area would be welcome, but probably not essential just yet.

We have rumours on the striking front (and wouldn''t an Assombalonga/Bradshaw input be just great) but all is quiet on the losers front and like RVW they seem to be clinging to their pay cheques like limpets to a safe rock or uninvited guests at a wedding.

Let''s hope that this week will be the week that is on all fronts so that we have time to be well-prepared for the season''s start (just like my latest batch of home-brewed ale.)

[quote user="morty"]Sounds like loads of positives from yesterday. Lots of people very impressed with the younger players, especially the murphys, efete and Maddison.

Sounds to me that a lot of the yoof are hitting the right standard for the league we''re in.[/quote]

Have to agree Morty, what impressed me from the Murphys esp Jacob was they look far more stronger, bulked up and not so easy to shrug off the ball and a willingness to fight to get the ball back. Admittedly its only pre-season against a pretty woeful Posh team(s), but theres plenty of good noises coming from the players, Pinto''s words the other day, Klose seems to be loving life here going by his social media posts, Naismith seems like he wants to give it a good go and a full preseason should help him no end cos he clearly was not right last season that first Liverpool game apart. Just need a couple of good strikers as others have mentioned and another solid CB and we''l be in great shape to bounce back. Roll on August 6th :)

I agree with Morty''s original comments - we''re shaping up well. Canos looks an inspired signing to replace a player who never made best use of his potential & there are several other players to excite - especially the Murphy''s & Maddison.

The new kit was received with a notable lack of criticism from fans which is remarkable in itself!

Newcastle appear to be tooling themselves up to dominate the league however Rafa is in uncharted territory; be wise to expect the unexpected there. Could be a spectacular implosion.

Keep Klose, sign a top goal scorer & we should be aiming for a top two auto place...

I think it''s a given that we''ll sign a striker, maybe the tricky bit though is getting rid of lafferty and rvw before we do so.

[quote user="morty"]I think it''s a given that we''ll sign a striker, maybe the tricky bit though is getting rid of lafferty and rvw before we do so.[/quote]Careful now, it''s almost like you''re suggesting that we HAVE to sell before we can buy. You''ll wake up the Tilly monster. [;)]

Lafferty is still saleable as he probably has the higher profile although his modest contribution in the Euros won''t have helped woo suitors and his price might have dropped.

RVW seems impossible to shift, other than in the loan market in order to mitigate against his wages.

He might serve a purpose as our number 3/4 striker as long as he has metamorphosed into a footballer during his pro-longed absence.

By all accounts he is willing to put in a shift, although I would rather shift him than stretch my imagination into thinking that he might succeed somewhat in the Chumps, which by some accounts was not considered good enough for him in the past.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="morty"]I think it''s a given that we''ll sign a striker, maybe the tricky bit though is getting rid of lafferty and rvw before we do so.[/quote]Careful now, it''s almost like you''re suggesting that we HAVE to sell before we can buy. You''ll wake up the Tilly monster. [;)]

[/quote]

oooooooosh

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="morty"]I think it''s a given that we''ll sign a striker, maybe the tricky bit though is getting rid of lafferty and rvw before we do so.[/quote]Careful now, it''s almost like you''re suggesting that we HAVE to sell before we can buy. You''ll wake up the Tilly monster. [;)]

[/quote]

oooooooosh[/quote]

Are you in pain?

The point was more that it''s a bit daft having 5 or 6 strikers.

I can actually see us keeping Ricky, and going with him, Jerome, Morris, and a new one. Lafferty contract cancelled by mutual consent and he''ll end up abroad again.

Obviously we have naismith too, who is kind of a striker.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="morty"]I think it''s a given that we''ll sign a striker, maybe the tricky bit though is getting rid of lafferty and rvw before we do so.[/quote]Careful now, it''s almost like you''re suggesting that we HAVE to sell before we can buy. You''ll wake up the Tilly monster. [;)]

[/quote]Don''t worry about that Squit as we still have £8.5million burning a hole in our pocket from the sale of Redmond especially as the keeper we are supposedly signing is a freebie. [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="morty"]I think it''s a given that we''ll sign a striker, maybe the tricky bit though is getting rid of lafferty and rvw before we do so.[/quote]Careful now, it''s almost like you''re suggesting that we HAVE to sell before we can buy. You''ll wake up the Tilly monster. [;)]

[/quote]Don''t worry about that Squit as we still have £8.5million burning a hole in our pocket from the sale of Redmond especially as the keeper we are supposedly signing is a freebie. [;)][/quote]

Predictable and tragic.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="morty"]I think it''s a given that we''ll sign a striker, maybe the tricky bit though is getting rid of lafferty and rvw before we do so.[/quote]Careful now, it''s almost like you''re suggesting that we HAVE to sell before we can buy. You''ll wake up the Tilly monster. [;)]

[/quote]Don''t worry about that Squit as we still have £8.5million burning a hole in our pocket from the sale of Redmond especially as the keeper we are supposedly signing is a freebie. [;)][/quote]

Predictable and tragic.

[/quote]No,no.no Squit, maybe predictable but after all you were fishing for a response but true not tragic.I will leave now before i get accused of trashing the thread. [:P]

Anyway, getting back on topic...

What if the club was just quietly getting on with things, and all the nappy crapping was comedic ally premature?

Imagine that.

Playing devils advocate but if you wanted to be negative you could say we''ve lost two regulars from our first team and only signed and unproven 19 year old, we''ve still not got a CEO in place and we''ve not managed to offload any of the deadwood in the squad.

The truth is of course somewhere in the middle but you can''t judge any closed season until the end of August. It is silly to start drawing any conclusions on the young players from a 4 quarters pre-season friendly against a League One side- let''s see how they do in competitive games first.

I agree, it''s plain silly making any rash predictions. But just because we haven''t signed 5 players, there really is no need to cry.

Seriously are people THAT scarred by last summer?

I reckon so- it was pretty crappy.

But as I''ve said before on here I don''t think we''ve had a good summer transfer window (ie one we can look back on and say ''we improved our team'') for about 3 years. Skepticism is natural.

We''re in an annoying position where we''ve got a bloated squad that need clearing out (I can think of 5 players who I think we could sell and not really need to sign anyone to replace) but also positions that need an upgrade (striker is a particular issue). In an ideal world I''d be wanting to see 7 or 8 players leaving and 3 or 4 quality additions coming in. But I understand that is not too realistic.

Really looking forward to this season probably more so than last to be honest. IF Naismith can get a few goals and give good performances he could rip up the Chump with Jerome and another decent striker.

I don''t disagree with those player in / out figures, but will reserve any desperate panicking for now.

I would still venture though that we seem to be quietly and efficiently going about our business, so far.

Jake Keen has just signed for Wednesday a few hours after leaving us by mutual consent.  We are supposedly hard up, Keen is presumably worth a pound or two?  How come we didn''t get a fee for him from Wednesday, while he was still under contract to us, or is that too simplistic?

Because we have no need for him. We are saving the money we would have been paying him this year. Wednesday would probably not have signed him if they had to pay for him. Probs go there as back up.

[quote user="OldRobert"]Jake Keen has just signed for Wednesday a few hours after leaving us by mutual consent.  We are supposedly hard up, Keen is presumably worth a pound or two?  How come we didn''t get a fee for him from Wednesday, while he was still under contract to us, or is that too simplistic?[/quote]

Replacement in today/tomoreow